SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm officially "hooked" on the idea of getting into an S60AWD.

Now it's down to cosmetics (some might say that's the hardest choice of all).

I'd like to get a Black Saphire Metallic/Light Sand Leather combo...but I'm not sure it's an option.

I've been to various websites trying to find out about this...but I've only seen taupe ("natural grey in Europe) combined with the Black paint - besides the graphit interior, that is.

Also, what is the consensus on the forum about which color to go with? BlackSaph or the GreyMetal???

HELP!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: Color Combo. Choices Choices... (Harrison)

Well, I bought the Carbon Grey Mettalic w/ graphite interior. I think it's a real sharp looking color especially when it's all washed and shinny.

I considered the Black Sapphire, but when I saw the grey, it definitely was the one. Then again, it all comes down to personal prefference. What ever strikes you and makes you smile that's usually the one.

So good luck with your choice and enjoy the car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Color Combo. Choices Choices... (moocat)

Thanks for your input Moocat.
I checked out your car...nice, really nice.

The grey looks much darker that I've seen it in other images though. Could have to do with atmospheric light and the camera used, etc.

The images from the Paris show (of the S60R, Grey Met) seemed much lighter in color.

On the spectrum, would you say yours is closer to black or to the Silver?

Once again...really nice looking car.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

quote:

I think I'm officially "hooked" on the idea of getting into an S60AWD.

Now it's down to cosmetics (some might say that's the hardest choice of all).

I'd like to get a Black Saphire Metallic/Light Sand Leather combo...but I'm not sure it's an option.
Not an option. Black Sapphire Metallic comes only with either Lt. Taupe or Graphite.

quote:

Also, what is the consensus on the forum about which color to go with? BlackSaph or the GreyMetal???
If you are going for an '02 AWD, go with Black Sapphire as the Graphite Grey is a BORING color, IMO.

If you go for an '03 AWD, check out the Titanium Grey Metallic (good luck in finding one); it is the most amazing color!

Yannis

·
Registered
179 Posts

Hello Harrison,
I dont want to throw a monkey wrench in the works if your hearts desire is the S60 AWD but do yourself a favor and think about the S80. I got a tremendous discount on a 2002.5 S80 w/cold weather package and Arrakis alloy wheels. I did months of research and test driving on both and I believe I made the right choice. Without haggling I got the price I wanted to pay. Dealers are encouraged to move (sell) the model that has the least demand=bigger discounts. The price I paid was approx. $200 greater than the discounted price I was quoted for the S60 AWD. The S80 is a beautiful car!!!!!. The 2002.5 engine has been re-tuned and moldings are body color keyed. Also keep in mind there may be another slight facelift and availability of 8 cyl. engine introduced this spring for 2004 so dealerships will probably try to clear MY2003 S80's ambitiously.

P.S. IMO the S80 handles better also. Does not have the under steer that the S60 has.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: Color Combo. Choices Choices... (audio64)

quote:

I got a tremendous discount on a 2002.5 S80 w/cold weather package and Arrakis alloy wheels. I did months of research and test driving on both and I believe I made the right choice. The price I paid was approx. $200 greater than the discounted price I was quoted for the S60 AWD.
True, but they are two TOTALLY different cars!

quote:

Also keep in mind there may be another slight facelift and availability of 8 cyl. engine introduced this spring for 2004 so dealerships will probably try to clear MY2003 S80's ambitiously.
That has absolutely nothing to do (the potential of an S80 V8) with moving the 2003s aggressively. The S80 V8 will be priced way above the current S80 prices...it will be targeted to a totally different demographic group.

quote:

IMO the S80 handles better also. Does not have the under steer that the S60 has.
Are you serious? Don't get me wrong; I think that the S80 is a wonderful car but it does not have the handling of the S60 especially that of the S60 AWD which is what this guy is looking at. Understeer? How do you figure? And the S80's steering wheel lacks the feedback of the S60's wheel. They are really apples and oranges...

Yannis

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Color Combo. Choices Choices... (GrecianVolvo)

Titanium Grey Metallic?
Sounds good. I'll be ordering from the factory (via a Euro Dealer) with European delivery, so I should have my choice of colors....and a bit of a wait (mid-January), which is fine.

Since my first combo option doesn't appear to be there for me (and why not? BMW, VW and Audi have that option and it looks great ) I might go with the Titanium.

I'll check one out on Saturday.

Thanks.

[Modified by Harrison, 8:21 AM 11-1-2002]

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Color Combo. Choices Choices... (audio64)

Thanks 64.

Yeah, I'd considered the S80, but the only real advantage there seemed to be interior space.

The big disadvantage of the S80 is the lack of AWD...which is huge.

The S80 is a great looking car, though. It seems like a "full sized" S60 which, by default, almost makes the S60 seem lacking in the size dept...but I like the size of the S60 just fine.
And again, that AWD is a deal-sealer for me.

But those S80s are very nice to look at....

[Modified by Harrison, 6:16 PM 11-1-2002]

·
Registered
53 Posts

It's definitely closer to black than the silver. Kind of in between. Silver in my humble opinion is pretty blase. Everyone seems to have one and I don't want exactly what everyone else has.

As far as the grey being boring, I think not..... The darker colors have a sleek classy, sophisticated look to them.

Again it's a personal thing.

dl

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Color Combo. Choices Choices... (moocat)

Sure Moocat, I'm with you on that. I sort of prefer the "classic" look of a black auto...having said that, you'll note by my sig that I have a Silver XC70.

I know others have writen on this (I think one might have been Lisa), but I like the Silver in part because it looks like clean machinery.
Another reason we went with the Silver (and here's where the apples and oranges come in) is the cladding on the XC. I didn't like the idea of Umber cladding on a Black car.

Also, I think the XC looks best with some color contrast to "break up" the look (it's sort of a beast without that).

I'm glad to hear that the Grey is closer to Black than Silver though.
I'd rather have a dark sedan...again, the contrast would be nice in the driveway against the XC ( just kidding , I'm not color matching cars here.)

Still interested in the Titanium and Carbon though....

[Modified by Harrison, 9:00 PM 11-1-2002]

·
Registered
72 Posts

I went with the Black Saphire/Lt Taupe and I love it!! I too had originally wanted the light sand interior, but when I saw the Lt. Taupe in person it wasn't as dark as I had orignally thought. I love the way the Black Saphire usually looks black, but when the light shines on it just right it looks like dark blue. It would have been nice if the color had a little more blue in it and a little less black, but I still LOVE the color. It's not something you see everyday. I briefly considered the Graphite Grey, but like Yannis I think it is just a little too bland. Like everyone has said, it is personal preference. http://********************/smile/emsmile.gif

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Color Combo. Choices Choices... (SCMbUG)

Thanks SCMbUG,

Yeah, the Sapphire does look great.
It's the "personal preferences" that I'm looking for as well.

The color choice seems to be the most agonizing decision with Volvo...I guess that speaks well of the product, no?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts