SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends,

I need your advice to choose the color for my polestar rims for winter! (my wheels spring/winter)

I hesitate between painting a black powder coating or a painting with machining

Picture of OscarII

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
FWIW, all black never stays looking great in the winter. I have always LOVED the machined/black version that you posted and that would be my vote!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FWIW, all black never stays looking great in the winter. I have always LOVED the machined/black version that you posted and that would be my vote!
I also like machined wheels, I have for spring / summer are machined, I thought to take a different style for winter to change, it's hard to make the right choice

I also like the Gray Evo!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep the tradition, black and machined face.
I also like this choice, but it is expensive and I have other priority currently ... A machining costs 200€/rim so 800€ for 4 (this is the price I paid for my Polestar 20"), personally I don't want to spend so much.
a powder-coated paint will cost me 70€ / rim so 280€

·
Registered
259 Posts
I prefer the look of the machined face, but for winter wheels the powder coat would be the more durable option. Do they salt the roads in France in the winter? If so I would worry that that, even with a good clear coat after machining, the road salts would manage to get under the clear eventually and corrode that beautifully machined face. Powder coat still looks good, appropriate for winter wheels.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I prefer the look of the machined face, but for winter wheels the powder coat would be the more durable option. Do they salt the roads in France in the winter? If so I would worry that that, even with a good clear coat after machining, the road salts would manage to get under the clear eventually and corrode that beautifully machined face. Powder coat still looks good, appropriate for winter wheels.
Yes I live in the north of France (Hillsides of Champagne 🍾), and we have snow and ice at times so they regularly salt our roads

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I filed yesterday, finally I opted for glossy black at 70% instead of 90% shine
They had just finished rims of Ford F150 in satin black (30% gloss) and I did not like the final rendering
result in 10 days!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts