SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Collision averted in my new V60cc

3K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Hounddogger 
#1 ·
OK….this is not how you start a morning.

I'm merging on the highway, from a dead stop, when the unthinkable almost happened.
Now, I've been driving this commute for almost 7 years and I've seen at least 5 rear end collisions
at this merge point each month. So….I'm watching traffic, patiently waiting for my chance,….I see my spot and
then I gun it! I never saw the Subaru in front of me and the last thing I heard was the roar of the engine followed by
a screeching hault. The Intellisafe/City safe sensor jams on the brakes and I came with (must have been…) inches of the
bumper. We pulled aside and I was amazed I did not hit her. We looked at both bumpers….not even a scratch.
A nervous laugh and we're both on our way.

So I'm driving to work with the "white knuckle" syndrome and as soon as I get in…I read up on Intellisafe, call my dealer and tell him the story….
drink lots of coffee, and heart has not stopped racing since.

All I can say is that my Honda Pilot would have made me a very very very sad person this morning.

Thank you Volvo for making the safest car in the world!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Sweet.

I had my City Safety kick in yesterday and thought that I had broken something.

I sometimes try to enter the garage prematurely and must have been driving a bit faster toward the garage than normal...with my hand on my gear lever and slowly applying the Brake.

BAM! BraKes lock up and the force pushes my body and hand forward which was on the gear shift so now I'm in neutral.

It stunned me because I had thought I had somehow misapplied the brakes.

So I drop it back in gear and pull into the garage and notice the display saying "stopped by City Safety".

I had thought that City Safety would not stop the vehicle if you were using the brakes but I guess I misunderstood how it works.

#4 ·
Yep it works. A guy slammed on his brakes in front of me, and I went to apply the brakes; luckily, my Volvo beat me to it (a millisecond faster), and of course my red light in the dash lit up. I wasn't going to hit him, but I'm glad City Safety was there, just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
It depends. If you are "feathering" the brake pedal, chances are the system will still think you are not in full control and City Safete remains active. Steering input also plays a big role.

#6 ·
So….I'm watching traffic, patiently waiting for my chance,….I see my spot and
then I gun it! I never saw the Subaru in front of me and the last thing I heard was the roar of the engine followed by
a screeching halt.
So are you saying you were queued up at an on ramp and thought the person in front of you had gone but hadn't? There's an on-ramp like that in my area that causes the same number of accidents. This is why I don't even look for a gap in traffic until I'm sure the car in front of me has gone.

I think I've seen city safety activate 3 times in the past almost 5 years but I think only one of them actually spared me some embarrassment and remembered thinking to myself this car is frickin awesome!!

#7 ·
Good news! Great option, glad it worked as advertised for you. I think most of us have been caught in this situation before, unfortunately pre-city safe. The system has activated a couple times for me when I've passed a little too close to the bumper of a turning car...nice check to know it works. Unfortunately it didn't help when a deer ran out in front of me last year.

Now, how do we keep the texters and otherwise oblivious from plowing into the back of us? 9 out 10 times they are kids in crap cars; if they'd only been driving a car with this system. My sister driving with her 18 mo. old, and my pregnant wife on a separate occasion, have both been crashed into from the back by idiots not paying attention; just in the last month! My sister's car was totaled, and my wife was driving a rental which suffered a crunched trunk and separated bumper. My nephew was fine thanks to his baby seat, but my sister has a neck injury, including a herniated disk and micro-fracture that she's getting treatment for. My wife and baby were fine after a precautionary trip to the hospital. Please spread the word: Stop texting while driving!

#11 ·
Please spread the word: Stop texting while driving!
Amen! I hope your sister gets well soon.

Texting is my biggest gripe behind the wheel. I don't know if the police just need to enforce the laws that are in place or significantly increase the punishment as a deterrent - such as text and get into an accident or get caught and you lose your license or get a lot of points.

#9 ·
I'm merging on the highway, from a dead stop, when the unthinkable almost happened.
Now, I've been driving this commute for almost 7 years and I've seen at least 5 rear end collisions
at this merge point each month. So….I'm watching traffic, patiently waiting for my chance,….I see my spot and
a screeching hault. The Intellisafe/City safe sensor jams on the brakes and I came with (must have been…) inches of the
bumper.
Yep, the same thing happened to me, except not a highway but a busy street. I was about jump on the break pedal anyway, but the system beat me to it.

n

#10 ·
Thank you Volvo for making the safest car in the world!!!
Your situation this morning, which is a very common occurrence in normal commuting, is the perfect example of City safe in practice - that feature has saved me once or twice.

#12 ·
I'm glad I have it, it has never activated, just peace of mind knowing that in a moment of inattention it might prevent a collision.

#13 ·
I haven't activated City Safety yet but I've been in this exact situation before. It's all too easy to expect the person in front of you to go for the opening and then hit the gas while still looking over your shoulder. I didn't fully appreciate that bad habit until I started a new commute with a tricky merge and barely stopped myself from winding up in someone's trunk.

#15 ·
I had thought of putting some big cardboard boxes like we have in our shop out in the parking lot and ... "not seeing" them when driving in one day. :cool:

Unfortunately, these are pretty sturdy cardboard boxes that could probably be used as makeshift homes due to their structural integrity.

So that "test" was scrapped...

#16 ·
I watched on YouTube somewhere that they used a traffic cone (bright orange, 3-4 feet high) to test the City Safe...I also saw a YouTube video where a person was used instead and City Safe did NOT work; faceprint on the windshield and maybe a need to change his underwear.

#18 ·
I watched on YouTube somewhere that they used a traffic cone (bright orange, 3-4 feet high) to test the City Safe...I also saw a YouTube video where a person was used instead and City Safe did NOT work; faceprint on the windshield and maybe a need to change his underwear.

Wasn't that the test where they had turned it off and then forgot to re-enable (without a shutdown/restart cycle)?

#21 ·
Glad your Volvo worked as designed without having to work as designed (i.e. airbags). Nothing angers me more than texting and driving. You have Bluetooth... If it's that important make a call using a handsfree device.

I keep both hands on the wheel in the R, except when shifting, because I don't want to wear out my still mint center console lid...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.