SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m gonna be heading off to college soon and right now I drive a 2012 s60 and I really love it I think the only problem I’m having right now it’s just I need to get a timing belt replaced ASAP… But if I were to get another car for college should I get a newer Volvo S60 let’s say 2016 or should I just keep the one I have. Also I already know some of y’all gonna be like I’ll get a Honda or Toyota but I’m just so in love with Volvos

·
Registered
512 Posts
Keep it on the road, and fix your timing belt. There’s a very non-zero chance someone (not necessarily you) will do something stupid in or around your car while you’re at college.

If you’re getting the itch for a different driving experience (can’t be that bad if you’re thinking of getting another S60), do some mods to help keep your current ride interesting.
- Find that 2013+ shifter assembly with the leather gaiter second hand
- If you’re due for a TB, you may be coming due for a suspension refresh
- Next time you’re due for tires, pick up a set of wheels on the classifieds, and sell your old ones to defray the expense or save them for winters.

Set aside anything you saved by not buying a new car, on your first day on campus find your study abroad office and sign up. If possible, do two separate semesters (or a semester and a summer) in different countries.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had money burning a hole in my pocket before college; just save it for a rainy day.

Keep the car you've got. When you graduate, the money stops flowing and the bills start up. A 2012 S60 is a pretty decent car and will serve you well. I kept my college car for 10 years, after buying it 10 years old.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Keep it on the road, and fix your timing belt. There’s a very non-zero chance someone (not necessarily you) will do something stupid in or around your car while you’re at college.

If you’re getting the itch for a different driving experience (can’t be that bad if you’re thinking of getting another S60), do some mods to help keep your current ride interesting.
- Find that 2013+ shifter assembly with the leather gaiter second hand
- If you’re due for a TB, you may be coming due for a suspension refresh
- Next time you’re due for tires, pick up a set of wheels on the classifieds, and sell your old ones to defray the expense or save them for winters.

Set aside anything you saved by not buying a new car, on your first day on campus find your study abroad office and sign up. If possible, do two separate semesters (or a semester and a summer) in different countries.
Good advice. On the study abroad thing, I wish someone had told me to do it. I never looked into it while I was in college, but my wife lived in France for a year and she loved it. I have no doubt I would have enjoyed study abroad if I had just forced myself out of my comfort zone. But you can't go back in time. My parents leased a new car for me while I was in college. The original plan was for me to buy it off lease after, but I wrecked it twice during the lease, so I didn't think it was worth it. I bought a $3,000 car instead. If I could have done it over again, I would have had them get me the $3,000 car at the beginning of college, put the rest of the money towards study abroad, and then kept that car running (or bought another $3,000 car) after graduation.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Keep your car running as long as possible and pay your college as much as you can out of pocket. I only came out with ~$25K of loans after 9 years of school, but I could have done better if I had used the money I earned during my co-ops and summer research programs to pay loans back instead of spending it on toys (four cars during that span).

Find a shop nearby or a car group on campus and use their tools/expertise to help keep the car going. That is how I avoided big bills to repair shops.

Where are you going/studying?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Keep the S60 you have for sure. Get the timing belt replaced and it should be good to go. No reason to spend money on a new car for now IMO, especially to just get a slightly newer one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank y’all so much I was going to keep it anyway I love it too much just wanted to get some of y’all’s opinion 135 568 miles so far and I’m going to get my timing belt replaced and it’s no oil pressure thing fixed also I am due for some tires soon so I’m deathly gonna do that in the gearshift oh yeah totally

·
Registered
746 Posts
College is definitely more important than the car. Choose a course of study you enjoy, do not do something only because a family member did or to follow in someone else's footsteps. If you like food preparation, go to chef school and work in a restaurant while you study to pay off debt. If you like cars, find out about getting part time work in a shop or a tech school.

Always start with a community college if you are unsure what you want to do. College debt can be a problem these days. Fix the Volvo or find a good shop to fix it. Get a small loan from a family member to fix your car and then find a job to pay off that family member. I worked throughout my 4 years at college and paid off my debt before I graduated but that was from 1989 to 1993 when college was cheaper.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hopefully you’ve fixed the oil pressure problem first.

·
Administrator
55,824 Posts
After going through so many cars over the years, there is ALWAYS another car. I recommend fixing your 2012, even if its a few thousand dollars it will be cheaper than a newer car. Get through the next four years of college and after graduation, celebrate and treat yourself to a new(er) car or keep it going. :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Fix the existing car and save the remaining cash so that after graduation you can buy a house, condo, apartment etc or pay off your student loans. Cars are depreciating money pits. If you are concerned about reliability and cheap cost of ownership you should have bought a Honda.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Cars are depreciating money pits.
I have learned that lesson the hard way with my S60. When I purchased it I was single and the payment was reasonable. Three years in my life and perspective are different. I’m still keeping it, the maintenance costs are often more reasonable then a new vehicle purchase, and that is my advice to you OP

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
So I’m gonna be heading off to college soon and right now I drive a 2012 s60 and I really love it I think the only problem I’m having right now it’s just I need to get a timing belt replaced ASAP… But if I were to get another car for college should I get a newer Volvo S60 let’s say 2016 or should I just keep the one I have. Also I already know some of y’all gonna be like I’ll get a Honda or Toyota but I’m just so in love with Volvos
Keep one you got. Fix timing belt. The 2015s and 16s can develop oil consumption issues on the Drive-E's. Also, depending on how long you've owned the 2012, you know its history. Plus, you're a college kid. Better to have a reliable and safe[/B kick] around car right now. Don't need the fanciest and newest.

Depending on where you go, some colleges don't even allow freshman to have a vehicle, assuming this will be your first year,

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
Good advice. On the study abroad thing, I wish someone had told me to do it. I never looked into it while I was in college, but my wife lived in France for a year and she loved it. I have no doubt I would have enjoyed study abroad if I had just forced myself out of my comfort zone. But you can't go back in time. My parents leased a new car for me while I was in college. The original plan was for me to buy it off lease after, but I wrecked it twice during the lease, so I didn't think it was worth it. I bought a $3,000 car instead. If I could have done it over again, I would have had them get me the $3,000 car at the beginning of college, put the rest of the money towards study abroad, and then kept that car running (or bought another $3,000 car) after graduation.
Always envied those who got to do those study abroad programs. Imagine they were never cheap. My college had a trip to Mexico or Spain planned but man it wasn't cheap. Nothing like being a poor college kid. Guess the experience is better if your family isn't broke during those days.

I've tried to make up for lack of travel in my childhood by living vicariously in my adulthood. Wish I was a millionaire and had the means to spend my life traveling. I really enjoy going to new places and exploring.

I had a 1999 Corolla (still that POS) for my college days. New then old now of course. Kick around car these days with 210,000+ miles.

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
Keep your car running as long as possible and pay your college as much as you can out of pocket. I only came out with ~$25K of loans after 9 years of school, but I could have done better if I had used the money I earned during my co-ops and summer research programs to pay loans back instead of spending it on toys (four cars during that span).

Find a shop nearby or a car group on campus and use their tools/expertise to help keep the car going. That is how I avoided big bills to repair shops.

Where are you going/studying?
Lifetime Student? Or you study to be a Lawyer / Doctor? 9 Yrs is PHD material.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Always envied those who got to do those study abroad programs. Imagine they were never cheap. My college had a trip to Mexico or Spain planned but man it wasn't cheap. Nothing like being a poor college kid. Guess the experience is better if your family isn't broke during those days.

I went to a small liberal arts college on an 85% academic scholarship. My parents chipped in the balance, which was less then what the FAFSA said they should be responsible for. Room & board went on federal student loans that are now paid down to about $3500. After I “proved myself” freshman year, my grandma helped me out with books the next three years. I moved home for the summers work 80+ hours a week, which allowed me to bank $3-5k spending money for the year, and in the three semesters after study abroad I was “allowed” to take a car to campus (1988 Silver Gray Metallic 244 with ~ 200k miles), so I was able to get a job at a friend’s dad’s pharmacy delivering prescriptions for about $100 a week.

The study abroad program I participated cost the same as a semester on our campus, but instead of having one roommate we had to have two. We paid a nominal fee to the college (like $100), paid for a passport, and bought a discounted round trip ticket to London ($700-ish). This allowed me to live and study in Regents Park in Central London for approximately 100 days. If I had done nothing else this would still have been one of the most formative experiences of my life. I also met the person who would later become my spouse. I ended up spending a bit more in the semester than I generally did in a full year on campus ($5-6k), as London is/was more expensive that most everywhere in the US, and I took short trips to Paris, Dublin, Nice, and a longer trip to Italy. Once I exhausted my savings, I ran up a couple grand on a credit card 🤷*♂ and it was absolutely worth it.

After college, I went to grad school and worked a series I’d $hi++¥ jobs, so we weren’t able to travel for about ten years, and even the trips we’ve taken the past few years (including a return to London) were largely possible because of points we earned on our credit cards (which we use like debit cards). I’ve found no opportunity as an adult to live and travel abroad as an adult for 100 days so economically.

It’s also work noting that there is a significant difference between an established regular semester/year long study abroad program, and a ad how educational trip, which sounds like what MyVolvoS60 might be referencing. Those aren’t generally covered by financial aid in any way, and can be very expensive. Like any other programmed/guided trip they are good for tracing to places that may otherwise be challenging to go for whatever reason. A professor at my college did one to Moscow and StPete my senior year, and the JR College where my parents live did one to Cuba soon after I finished college. Both were several weeks, and cost more than I spent my entire semester abroad.

:hijack::OT::deadhorse:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Lifetime Student? Or you study to be a Lawyer / Doctor? 9 Yrs is PHD material.
Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering.

It took nine for me since I took a fall, spring and summer co-op to work in industry, graduated off cycle in December and spent the spring/summer between degrees to work on campus at an NSF research center (all of which was well worth the added time).

I never really had the opportunity for a study abroad, had no money for that sort of thing, but then again I spent eight years in Germany as a child so it was kind of a moot point. 🙂

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
I went to a small liberal arts college on an 85% academic scholarship. My parents chipped in the balance, which was less then what the FAFSA said they should be responsible for. Room & board went on federal student loans that are now paid down to about $3500. After I “proved myself” freshman year, my grandma helped me out with books the next three years. I moved home for the summers work 80+ hours a week, which allowed me to bank $3-5k spending money for the year, and in the three semesters after study abroad I was “allowed” to take a car to campus (1988 Silver Gray Metallic 244 with ~ 200k miles), so I was able to get a job at a friend’s dad’s pharmacy delivering prescriptions for about $100 a week.
A lot of colleges these days prohibit on campus freshman from driving for safety reasons. I.E. First time away from home, tendencies to party, etc. Probably a thing more so these now than in the past. I never lived on campus (went to local colleges) so can't speak for how it was ~20 yrs ago when I was in college.

The study abroad program I participated cost the same as a semester on our campus, but instead of having one roommate we had to have two. We paid a nominal fee to the college (like $100), paid for a passport, and bought a discounted round trip ticket to London ($700-ish). This allowed me to live and study in Regents Park in Central London for approximately 100 days. If I had done nothing else this would still have been one of the most formative experiences of my life. I also met the person who would later become my spouse. I ended up spending a bit more in the semester than I generally did in a full year on campus ($5-6k), as London is/was more expensive that most everywhere in the US, and I took short trips to Paris, Dublin, Nice, and a longer trip to Italy. Once I exhausted my savings, I ran up a couple grand on a credit card 🤷*♂ and it was absolutely worth it.
I believe you are correct on the reciprocity aspect of study abroad. Never did one. I do know my college did those "guided tours" and they were several thousand dollars. For someone whose family didn't have a lot of money, might as well have asked for a million bucks plus interest.

I can only imagine the lifetime experiences one garners from study abroad. My cousin did one of those and had a blast.

After college, I went to grad school and worked a series I’d $hi++¥ jobs, so we weren’t able to travel for about ten years, and even the trips we’ve taken the past few years (including a return to London) were largely possible because of points we earned on our credit cards (which we use like debit cards). I’ve found no opportunity as an adult to live and travel abroad as an adult for 100 days so economically.
Hotel Credit Cards / Reward points have bought me a ton of free vacations. Spent 3 Weeks in Europe with Choice Hotel Points. London, Paris, Dublin, Rome, Scotland, Stockholm, etc. Once in lifetime experience and all I had to cover was an airline ticket that cost $800 bucks, food, a few tours, Entrance fees and travel within Europe. Can only imagine my trip for 3 weeks would have been at least another $2500-3500 more had I paid for hotels. Course, there are always hostels... Not my cup of tea.

At the time, they had a tiered system and it was SUPER EASY to book and locate hotels. Signed up for their credit card, as did a family member, plus stayed at choice a decent amount. Even after 3 weeks, I came back with enough days to give a family member a week of hotel stays for their wedding present. I just burned the last of my days on a trip I recently took.

For travel, Choice Hotels (comfort inn, quality inn, etc) still has the better international network. I have a sh*tload of Hilton Points now (about 20 days worth), but their value and expansive locations aren't nearly on par with Choice Hotels.

Signing up for their credit cards, spending on them, and staying at their hotels accumulates points pretty fast. The last of my Choice Points shacked me up in a $250 / night hotel out west for a whopping $80. Did one night with points plus cash, just so I had a few points to spare on way back.

It’s also work noting that there is a significant difference between an established regular semester/year long study abroad program, and a ad how educational trip, which sounds like what MyVolvoS60 might be referencing. Those aren’t generally covered by financial aid in any way, and can be very expensive. Like any other programmed/guided trip they are good for tracing to places that may otherwise be challenging to go for whatever reason. A professor at my college did one to Moscow and StPete my senior year, and the JR College where my parents live did one to Cuba soon after I finished college. Both were several weeks, and cost more than I spent my entire semester abroad.

:hijack::OT::deadhorse:
Well not really hijacked. He's asking about college life, car, etc. We're giving him our experiences and advice. And you again are correct, those guided tours were expensive. Study Abroad I believe is a reciprocal setup.

·
Registered
6,905 Posts
Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering.

It took nine for me since I took a fall, spring and summer co-op to work in industry, graduated off cycle in December and spent the spring/summer between degrees to work on campus at an NSF research center (all of which was well worth the added time).

I never really had the opportunity for a study abroad, had no money for that sort of thing,but then again I spent eight years in Germany as a child so it was kind of a moot point. 🙂
8 years in Germany sounds fun. Never been there. I imagine you were military brat child?

Sounds like you made very good use of those nine years! Some college kids take that 30 year path either due to financial limitations, work, kids, etc. Take a couple classes per semester which then takes a lifetime to graduate.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts