SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

Having a series of issues with lift gate that lead me to believe I may have a wiring issue?

1) rear wiper doesn't function
2) lift gate wont lock
3) Tail gate open message will flash on and off randomly in message center

I noticed the fuse was blown for in the rear fuse panel for the wiper. When trying to replace the fuse the new one blew immediately.

Does this sound like a chafed wire? or ground issue?

Any suggestions on where to start looking? this happen to anyone here?

06 v70 awd

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
Check your license plate lights... Some have a tendency to melt and cause a short... Blow fuses.

Tail lamp lights /sockets can melt and cause similar issues.

Low battery voltage or alternator output.

If the wiper motor seized and got stuck on.... It could overload the circuit.

Vida/dice could help.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yep, frayed wires about 8” in from the plastic harness cover top left would be my guess.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check your license plate lights... Some have a tendency to melt and cause a short... Blow fuses.

Tail lamp lights /sockets can melt and cause similar issues.

Low battery voltage or alternator output.

If the wiper motor seized and got stuck on.... It could overload the circuit.

Vida/dice could help.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
thanks. All lights and sockets look good.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
thanks. going to tear everything apart this weekend.
If I remember correctly you’ll also need to pull off two interior panels so that you can loosen the harness for better access. Good luck. It’s an easy enough issue to spot. Just take off all the electrical tape, etc and take a good look at wires that you have pulled out. I thought they were fine but I pulled out another couple of inches and 75%?of wires were toast.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If I remember correctly you’ll also need to pull off two interior panels so that you can loosen the harness for better access. Good luck. It’s an easy enough issue to spot. Just take off all the electrical tape, etc and take a good look at wires that you have pulled out. I thought they were fine but I pulled out another couple of inches and 75%?of wires were toast.

Having a similar issue. Are the panels you removed on the gate that goes up or on the side? Or the headliner?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Having a similar issue. Are the panels you removed on the gate that goes up or on the side? Or the headliner?
It’s been a while but the goal is just to get access to the wiring harness just on the inside before it goes up and over into the TG. That would mean just removing the one upper trim panel except that I think you need to remove the lower side panel to get to the upper trim panel. Maybe someone else can confirm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It’s been a while but the goal is just to get access to the wiring harness just on the inside before it goes up and over into the TG. That would mean just removing the one upper trim panel except that I think you need to remove the lower side panel to get to the upper trim panel. Maybe someone else can confirm.

Gotcha...i've got a wagon, so i may have to remove part of the headliner or trim along the roof edge of the ceiling to access those wires?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Definitely sounds like the wiring harness. Had issues with mine in the '01 a few years back. You have to pull a bunch of trim panels, but the headliner stays as-is. Here's some annotated pictures I took, should get you 95% of what you need.

https://imgur.com/a/OHllU

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys. @madmattd thanks for the link. thats exactly where mine were broke (6 of them). soldered them back together and heat shrink wrapped every wire so we'll see how it stands up.

·
Registered
573 Posts
thanks guys. @madmattd thanks for the link. thats exactly where mine were broke (6 of them). soldered them back together and heat shrink wrapped every wire so we'll see how it stands up.
Yep, that's where they always break, seen several like ours. If you only re-soldered together at the break (no wire replacement), you'll probably be going back soonish, as the thicker/stiffer spot at the solder will likely break faster. But maybe not, the stress might move to a different point in which case it might be fine for quite a while!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts