SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all - I collected my XC90 T8 Recharge Inscription Pro today!

I’m really impressed and looking forward to getting to know this motor more - for such a large mass it doesn’t half shift; the air suspension is the best I have experienced since the original Range Rover Sport with it’s ‘dynamic response’ system.

Here are my ‘after 8 hours’ raw thoughts, I wonder if anyone has advice for any of them?

The Really Good

-touch screen is reeeeeally responsive, just super
-whole exterior look is special, 22” shoes with P-Zero rubber.. never seen such nice wheels and the car itself has such road presence
-handles like a beast

The Good

-adjust passenger seat using the drivers seat controls is really handy
-a decent glove box size for once and neat open button
-boot open/close speed is perfect, also good interior illumination
-charging port illuminated
-moving menu function buttons around is neat but implemented a little poorly in the sense you have to make a space to move a function to (it doesn’t just squeeze in and reorder the others like on a phone.. might be a patent issue)
-adaptive headlights implementation is just amazing, I’m sure it spotlit some signs/pedestrians as I was driving along a country lane.. what witchcraft is this!?!
-seat massage is absolutely awesome
-voice control is hit and miss; really crazy excellent for temperatures and seat heat/cool but can’t handle “call dad”, can I train it?
-an 18k miles service interval great.. spoilt a little bit by every 12 months

The Not So Good

-only 1 rear fog, seemingly no front fogs (but a button for them?)
-crystal gearstick knob, just no!
-lack of USB ports in 2nd and 3rd rows, unless they are hiding?
-the way the 360 degree camera algorithm works (trying to add volume) is a bit hit and miss when parking in tight multi-storey type spaces
-short press for +/- 5mph on adaptive cruise control, long press for +/- 1mph.. isn’t that the opposite to logical?
-car overview graphic in centre display (speedo), overrides any adjustment menus from the centre panel (like heads-up) until it is okay’d.. bit of a head-scratcher that was
-super fiddly to get the metal key out of the wireless key to set the child locks, might just need to practise?
-interior lights on > open doors > lights go off when door is closed (but engine running)
-no paper owners manual; that’s okay but when you navigate out of the digital manual, the < > is then greyed out when you return, so it’s a little tricky to read:action:read type things, although totally possible to mitigate by using a phone/tablet

The Really Bad
-cup holders in the 2nd row middle arm rest are tiny.. it has achieved nothing making them so small, at the detriment of loads when it comes to the kids.. why!?!!
-neither steering wheel stalk seems to be illuminated, which is unsafe
-is there no wireless Apple car play support, only by USB? that’s odd for a 20/21 car
-the wireless charge doesn’t seem to support iPhone 12 Pro Max (in fairness, likely an Apple design issue with Magsafe), throws an error message... and the rubber charge mat could not really look any worse 😉

Separately (and not good/bad yet as probably my fault) I can’t seem to get any car modem connectivity working. Does anyone know what network this runs on? Linking to my wi-fi enabled me to finish the car to app pairing, but once out of range I can’t then use the app to communicate with the car. Might be a dealer visit if not obvious.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give! Really looking forward to getting to know more about this car in the coming months 🙂

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
You can press the on-call or SoS button on top of center rear mirror and talk to a human in support team and ask them if VoC has been activated for the car.

If not, you can do it with them, or go to dealer.
If yes, then something is wrong, need dealer to check out the VoC module. One possibility is it is in standby mode and need to be put in active mode.

VoC app on phone needs to be paired with the car after VoC is working.

Turn on the Internet modem for data connection, it should work in the 6 months free period.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

I’m really impressed and looking forward to getting to know this motor more - for such a large mass it doesn’t half shift; the air suspension is the best I have experienced since the original Range Rover Sport with it’s ‘dynamic response’ system.

Here are my ‘after 8 hours’ raw thoughts, I wonder if anyone has advice for any of them?

The Really Good

-whole exterior look is special, 22” shoes with P-Zero rubber.. never seen such nice wheels and the car itself has such road presence
-handles like a beast

The Good

-moving menu function buttons around is neat but implemented a little poorly in the sense you have to make a space to move a function to (it doesn’t just squeeze in and reorder the others like on a phone.. might be a patent issue)
-adaptive headlights implementation is just amazing, I’m sure it spotlit some signs/pedestrians as I was driving along a country lane.. what witchcraft is this!?!
-voice control is hit and miss; really crazy excellent for temperatures and seat heat/cool but can’t handle “call dad”, can I train it?

The Not So Good

-the way the 360 degree camera algorithm works (trying to add volume) is a bit hit and miss when parking in tight multi-storey type spaces
-short press for +/- 5mph on adaptive cruise control, long press for +/- 1mph.. isn’t that the opposite to logical?
-car overview graphic in centre display (speedo), overrides any adjustment menus from the centre panel (like heads-up) until it is okay’d.. bit of a head-scratcher that was
-super fiddly to get the metal key out of the wireless key to set the child locks, might just need to practise?
-interior lights on > open doors > lights go off when door is closed (but engine running)
-no paper owners manual; that’s okay but when you navigate out of the digital manual, the < > is then greyed out when you return, so it’s a little tricky to read:action:read type things, although totally possible to mitigate by using a phone/tablet

The Really Bad
-cup holders in the 2nd row middle arm rest are tiny.. it has achieved nothing making them so small, at the detriment of loads when it comes to the kids.. why!?!!
-is there no wireless Apple car play support, only by USB? that’s odd for a 20/21 car
-the wireless charge doesn’t seem to support iPhone 12 Pro Max (in fairness, likely an Apple design issue with Magsafe), throws an error message... and the rubber charge mat could not really look any worse 😉

Separately (and not good/bad yet as probably my fault) I can’t seem to get any car modem connectivity working. Does anyone know what network this runs on? Linking to my wi-fi enabled me to finish the car to app pairing, but once out of range I can’t then use the app to communicate with the car. Might be a dealer visit if not obvious.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give! Really looking forward to getting to know more about this car in the coming months 🙂
I am envious - we picked up a new 2021 Recharge recently, but we are missing the best feature, the adaptive lights. We only get the bending stuff here in the USA, it's sad. I have those adaptive lights on a 2016 that I still own in Italy, they rock.

I couldn't disagree more on the wiper stalks - I don't like too many lights. But it would be nice to have the option.

One fog lamp in the back is better, I think, so it doesn't look like break lights. But the button for front is just... cheap. Should have removed that.

I am with you on the crystal shifter. It's very.... ahm... kitsch.

You should not need the physical key to set child locks. At least, I didn't in my 2016 and 2017. I did not try it on the 2021, but I don't think they changed that... or did they?

Interior lights - be careful with the care key. I could not turn interior ambient lights on with the care key profile. Is that what you are referring to? Like foot-well lights, door lights, etc. But they should work when you close the door, with a regular key.

The air suspensions on the 2021 are A LOT better than those I had on the 2017. Not sure what they changed, but the experience is day-and-night.

I don't think wireless car play is available on any car, in 2021.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can press the on-call or SoS button on top of center rear mirror and talk to a human in support team and ask them if VoC has been activated for the car.

If not, you can do it with them, or go to dealer.
If yes, then something is wrong, need dealer to check out the VoC module. One possibility is it is in standby mode and need to be put in active mode.

VoC app on phone needs to be paired with the car after VoC is working.

Turn on the Internet modem for data connection, it should work in the 6 months free period.
thank you! I’ll give SOS a go tomorrow. I did manage to complete pairing but only by linking the car with my home wi-fi. Obviously once out of range it just starts throwing the ‘no internet connection’ message and the app can no longer interact with the car. I’m sure it’s going to be something really obvious!

I also managed to confirm it is Apple’s Magsafe feature (something nobody asked for) that kills the wireless charging - iPhone 11 Pro Max works just fine, switch to 12 Pro Max and it throws the error. So annoying but definitely not a Volvo problem (well, other than the choice of rubber for the mat 😂)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The Really Good

-handles like a beast

The Good

The Not So Good

The Really Bad

I am envious - we picked up a new 2021 Recharge recently, but we are missing the best feature, the adaptive lights. We only get the bending stuff here in the USA, it's sad. I have those adaptive lights on a 2016 that I still own in Italy, they rock.

I couldn't disagree more on the wiper stalks - I don't like too many lights. But it would be nice to have the option.

One fog lamp in the back is better, I think, so it doesn't look like break lights. But the button for front is just... cheap. Should have removed that.

I am with you on the crystal shifter. It's very.... ahm... kitsch.

You should not need the physical key to set child locks. At least, I didn't in my 2016 and 2017. I did not try it on the 2021, but I don't think they changed that... or did they?

Interior lights - be careful with the care key. I could not turn interior ambient lights on with the care key profile. Is that what you are referring to? Like foot-well lights, door lights, etc. But they should work when you close the door, with a regular key.

The air suspensions on the 2021 are A LOT better than those I had on the 2017. Not sure what they changed, but the experience is day-and-night.

I don't think wireless car play is available on any car, in 2021.
seriously the adaptive lights just blew my mind - I don’t even understand how they do what they do!?!

it might be a U.K. thing but the child locks in mine have to be physically enabled by turning a switched located in the door by the locking pin (has been quite common here for decades although I do remember a Citroen that had an electric button instead). Absolute horror of horrors I left the dealership in the car, kids all strapped in - the baby OPENED THE REAR PASSENGER DOOR and it swung wide open as I decelerated into a roundabout!!! could have been an absolute disaster on a brand new motor 😱

wiper stalks agree - horses for courses, should just be a simple option. Also mainly needed as I am new to the layout, in a month I’d be like you and disable it!

Fog lamp is quite specific to our situation as we use them to light up the rear so we can see how to close some gates behind us 🤦‍♂️

Crystal shifter is just.. I mean I just don’t know what that is about 😂

I’ll check that out for the interior lights 👍

THANK YOU 🙏

·
Registered
33 Posts
lol @ the crystal shifter comments. It doesn't bother me but I agree with the general sentiment.
I think my car has 2 USB-C outlets in the second row. They are in what looks like a 12v outlet.

I think it's interesting that so many folks hate the look of the charging mat too. Another thing that I really don't pay an attention to and it just seems like a black mat...though maybe I am missing something.

I hate not having wireless phone support - ugg. I have tried to ask if the 21 has the hardware to eventually support it if Volvo ever decides to update the software....haven't gotten any concrete answers. All it would need is dual antenna wifi I think and I am pretty sure the '21 does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a few more “issues” today..

For MY21 they decided to only supply 1 black key. You do get another key (it’s orange) BUT you can’t save a driver profile to it. So that means if you are a married couple one of you is going to have to manually select your driver profile each time you get in your lovely £70k motor! For safety reasons I don’t entirely understand, if you want to manually select your memory seat setting (1, 2 or 3), you now have to hold the button down until the memory position is fully recalled - you can just press the button once but only if the driver door is still open.

Oh, there’s also a small glitch on the Driver Profile screen in the centre console - if you choose profile 3, it greys out and won’t respond further. You can fix that by locking and unlocking the car, I presume this can be addressed as a software update.

Took her for a great drive earlier, the air suspension is something else!!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I found a few more “issues” today..

For MY21 they decided to only supply 1 black key. You do get another key (it’s orange) BUT you can’t save a driver profile to it. So that means if you are a married couple one of you is going to have to manually select your driver profile each time you get in your lovely £70k motor! For safety reasons I don’t entirely understand, if you want to manually select your memory seat setting (1, 2 or 3), you now have to hold the button down until the memory position is fully recalled - you can just press the button once but only if the driver door is still open.

Oh, there’s also a small glitch on the Driver Profile screen in the centre console - if you choose profile 3, it greys out and won’t respond further. You can fix that by locking and unlocking the car, I presume this can be addressed as a software update.

Took her for a great drive earlier, the air suspension is something else!!
It is not a glitch. The locked profile is associated with the orange key. There is a thread here about it. It's a huge pain. If you unlock the car with the black key while leaving the orange key in another zip code (kidding... just keep it VERY FAR from the car), you should be able to edit that profile 3 (but only the speed restrictions).

There are lot of folks complaining about the orange key in the XC60 forums as well, if you go dig there.

In short, you only have one usable key. Another one will cost you $500 in the USA - not sure how it works in the UK.
There are mixed reports about sports keys. I got one, but I have heard from other people who did not. It works well for a year or two, but then you have to buy a new one (or do a bit of work on your own) as the battery is sealed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For safety reasons I don’t entirely understand, if you want to manually select your memory seat setting (1, 2 or 3), you now have to hold the button down until the memory position is fully recalled - you can just press the button once but only if the driver door is still open.
I think it's because they don't want you to accidentally hit it while driving? Would suck to be going 60 when all of sudden you chair and mirrors go crazy...haha. That said, could easily be solved by not letting you do it unless in P (park) instead of the door open thing. Definitely confused/annoyed me at first.

The key is also annoying. I got an extended maintenance plan that also comes with a free key replacement which I plan to use for my "lost" key to remedy this issue 😉

·
Registered
3 Posts
Complain to Volvo directly and / or your dealer, they might get you a free key. Going to Volvo directly at least worked for me, supplying a car in that price range with only one fully functional key is just plain stupid.

There's a USB dongle to get wireless CarPlay, given Volvo's track record of adding zero new features over time I wouldn't expect it even if the hardware is capable of it. Haven't found many cars supporting it either, only latest 2019 / 2020 models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks all, very helpful guidance!

quick question - does anyone know which UK network the Volvo On Call functionality uses? I am having a really weird time with it whereby I can unlock the car using the iPhone app but nothing else (like honking horn or climate). All I can think is it’s a reception issue where the car is parked - I can confirm that theory if I know what network and frequency VoC uses (GSM/EDGE/3G/4G)? couldn’t find a straight answer via Google!

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
thanks all, very helpful guidance!

quick question - does anyone know which UK network the Volvo On Call functionality uses? I am having a really weird time with it whereby I can unlock the car using the iPhone app but nothing else (like honking horn or climate). All I can think is it’s a reception issue where the car is parked - I can confirm that theory if I know what network and frequency VoC uses (GSM/EDGE/3G/4G)? couldn’t find a straight answer via Google!
Don't know about UK. :) But parking climate needs the car to be charging.
What about the basic like fuel/battery level, trip history data, locking? If you can unlock with iPhone app, means the communication has been done properly over cellular link.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't know about UK. :) But parking climate needs the car to be charging.
What about the basic like fuel/battery level, trip history data, locking? If you can unlock with iPhone app, means the communication has been done properly over cellular link.
Parking climate doesn't require car charging. It requires battery to be sufficiently charged.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts