SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my collar gear with a new one from tasca like almost two years ago. Well now my angle gear is making my car sound like a fire truck siren winding down.

So today I took out the angle gear and the sleeve/collar gear came out with the unit quite easy. I had to hit it on with a hammer so why is it able to come right out or do they usually come out easy after they've been replaced once. Splines look decent on tranny and sleeve gear. Any thought or input?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
The sleeve is usually a pain in the ass to get out, requiring pullers, blow torches and Thors hammer to remove lol maybe you got the wrong sleeve? there are I believe 3 different versions (5spd, 6spd and MT) I could be wrong that you got the wrong sleeve tho.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw the one post about welding the gear, and there's no way that would work if the sleeve weren't able to slide on and off so i feel better now

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The sleeve is usually a pain in the ass to get out, requiring pullers, blow torches and Thors hammer to remove lol maybe you got the wrong sleeve? there are I believe 3 different versions (5spd, 6spd and MT) I could be wrong that you got the wrong sleeve tho.
My first gear I did all that and broke pullers and lots of fun, I swear I had to hammer the gear back on but Idk.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Yep, it usually is a bear to take off because of either being epoxied on in the first place or from the rust that has developed in the splines. Normal for it to come off much easier the second time around if it was done recently.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Is the noise coming from the bearing rather than the sleeve? Any play in the coupler to the driveshaft?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. There was play in the pinion where the driveshaft goes and pinion bearings sound like dirt. The new unit is in and the front sounds good, no more sirens. Now I have to focus on the rear 4x4 truck tire sound. I'm thinkin whereon bearings and hoping too. I don't want to do the rear differential

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
If it were wrong it wouldn't fit, besides it's been replaced so they may have put some sort of lubricant to keep it from not coming off the second time around.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Cool. Truck tire noise is probably a rear wheel bearing. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts