SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting a weird shift from 2nd->3rd only when the vehicle is cold, and if the weather has been around freezing. When going from 2nd->3rd, the trans "hangs" for a second and hesitates going into 3rd. No clunks, no other things going on. It doesn't really flare, just hangs at the RPM for a second or two and then finally goes into gear. Does this in regular and geartronic modes.

Transmission is the 5 speed auto geartronic, 2007 s40 2.4i with ~102k. Transmission has never been serviced to my knowledge.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Does it do the entire time, when it's cold outside or does it only do it until the car has reached normal operating temperature?

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Maybe the car is just being slow in the mornings. ;)

Letting high idle finish before setting off? That would always cause lags for me, until the car got up to temp.

·
Registered
191 Posts
My previous S60 and current S40 have both had delayed shifting when cold. I could be wrong, but I think it's normal because the car is trying to reach operating temperature at a quicker rate. Once the car reaches normal temperature, it'll shift normally like yours does.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
i know we've talked about this before but i forget where exactly and i dont remember anyone else having any good answers... So my aw55 also does the same exact same thing. ONly cold starts, only below 28 or so degree's F, only for the shift between 2nd-3rd. I feel like we get used to how our cars shift-- so your body and head anticipate a slight forward jerk during shifts, especially at slow speed, and when that slight jerk doesnt come when we expect it, its very noticeable when it finally does a full second later while your already leaning forward.
Im guessing thats its related to the Transmission control module, or whatever the name of the computer that controls the shifts is... Im personally not worried about it but its definitely a strange feeling.
And i also always wait until the cat warms up and the revs fall before taking off and had the atf replaced around 90k.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
nice find there^. It looks like tq converter lock-up is available in geartronic mode in gears 3-5... hmm.
i wonder if there are any differences between TCM settings for AWD vs FWD.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's normal. See the Volvo Shift Modes section of the AW 55-50 Differences Between Manufacturers on the sonax website.
Catalytic Converter Start – This function helps the engine to reach operating temperature by preventing converter lockup and delaying the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts when the engine is cold. This is a normal function.
Thanks for the link. Some interesting features there I didn't know about. Glad it's "normal" and not a sign of my trans failing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts