SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a '98 V70 AWD LPT with a 16T turbo and injectors. It has been tuned for those parts but did overboost a few months ago right before this issue started.

For the first 1-2 minutes after a cold start I hear the sound in the video. After that I never heard the sound again until the next cold start. I tried Rislone and MMO with no success. I had the oil pan pickup seals replaced but that didn't completely fix the issue but may have improved it a bit. I'm using a Mann oil filter and 5w-30 oil. Using heavier weight oils haven't helped so far. I'm not sure what else to try at this point.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Oil is light and the motor is hydraulic lifter. Normal behavior.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Ditto on the oil getting up to the lifters. Sometimes the noise getting louder is a signs that the o-rings in the oil pan pick-up need to be replaced.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, normal. Would you try some flavor of 0W-30? (Flame suit on, can of worms? I sure hope not.)

Just don't put in anything that says "Lucas" on it, please.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ditto on the oil getting up to the lifters. Sometimes the noise getting louder is a signs that the o-rings in the oil pan pick-up need to be replaced.
Those have been replaced this month. I could try a 0w-40 oil next oil change.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Those have been replaced this month. I could try a 0w-40 oil next oil change.
I would. Maybe Pennzoil Ultra, or Pennzoil Platinum. The Mobil 1 0W-40 always used to be readily available at Walmart in a 5-gallon jug for $25 or less, the Pennzoil, if you can find it.

If it's warm out, you should be able to try a 5W-40 also. Sometimes they have the Pennzoil of that grade. Certain oils quiet motor noise better, Pennzoil has a lot of reviews of "quieting an engine" if you want to call it that.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I have the same issue with my car, it's most likely the oil or the lifters. I'd try 0w-40 and then go from there, hopefully it resolves for you! My seals are in need of replacement :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another oddity to me is that the sound is completely absent on warm days. Though I had to wait until we had a few warmer days to confirm this. It's 70 degrees today in the shade. The car hasn't been started in two days. I fired her up and no tapping noise whatsoever. If it was 40-50 degrees out I'm certain I'd hear my tapping noise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts