SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have noticed a rather loud clicking sound when I start my new S60 2.4T in the morning (ambient temps. 20 - 30 F). Sound is quite apparent if you're outside the car (scraping windows, etc), but not noticeable inside. Seems to be coming from the alternator side of the engine. Not concerned because the car runs fine, and the noise goes away when the engine is warmed up. However, I am curious -- what is making this noise?<p>KR

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Re: Cold Start Clicking Noise (krohrer)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Have noticed a rather loud clicking sound when I start my new S60 2.4T in the morning (ambient temps. 20 - 30 F). Sound is quite apparent if you're outside the car (scraping windows, etc), but not noticeable inside. Seems to be coming from the alternator side of the engine. Not concerned because the car runs fine, and the noise goes away when the engine is warmed up. However, I am curious -- what is making this noise?<p>KR<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>Most likely your serpentine belt. Some 2002s and very few 2003s have this "problem"...it is not a big deal but if it bothers you (and it is what I just wrote), it can be changed under warranty (as long as you are under warranty).<p>Yannis

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Cold Start Clicking Noise (GrecianVolvo)

Yannis:<p>Thanks for the tip. Its a 2003 2.4T. Listened more closely this morning and sound (actually more of a squeak...) seems to be coming from the mechanism at the top of the serpentine belt (tensioner?). Is a group of defective parts (tensioner, belt) the culprit or is it just adjusted too tight? Will talk with my dealer soon, but still enjoying the honeymoon (had the car for about a week!).<p>KR<p>KR

1 - 3 of 3 Posts