SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wanted to hear some experiences from other S80 owners. In particular I'm talking about the Aisin Warner TF80-SC gearbox, six speed automatic.

Mine behaves a bit differently from time to time. Temperatures have been around 0 celsius for a while and I've noticed that the car is pretty reluctant to use any lockup until it warms up. Mechanic says it's fine and it's supposed to slip to generate more heat. It usually locks after it gets to 6th and I hit cruise speed but until then it wont even lock if I put it into manual shifting. Sometimes it uses slipping lock-up, sometimes it does for a while and then release it and slip like crazy (or so it feels, that it stops even trying to use lock-up).

I'm also getting some mixed results on gears 2-5. Sometimes if I give some throttle but not enough for it to downshift the engine will rev up 100-300 rpm and then bounce back. 6th gear locks fine and I believe slipping lock-up should only use like +/- 50-100 RPM or so.

Mine is on a 2007 S80 by the way so it's an early gearbox with the old valve body before it was updated or revised or what ever.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's flushed about 5000 miles ago. I think I have a bad valve body because sometimes when it's cold it'll up-shift 2nd to 3rd very hard which is suspected to be a bad gasket or similarly in the valve body which seals properly when it warms up. I'm not sure if that could affect anything else though or if my gearbox is wonky in other ways or if all early TF80's were like this. I think I also had the lock-up solenoid suggested, that it might be acting up and causing some of these symptoms. It's not a big issue really, especially since I lose the hard upshifts when it doesn't use lock-up.

Registered
Hi,

Just wanted to hear some experiences from other S80 owners. In particular I'm talking about the Aisin Warner TF80-SC gearbox, six speed automatic.

Mine behaves a bit differently from time to time. Temperatures have been around 0 celsius for a while and I've noticed that the car is pretty reluctant to use any lockup until it warms up. Mechanic says it's fine and it's supposed to slip to generate more heat. It usually locks after it gets to 6th and I hit cruise speed but until then it wont even lock if I put it into manual shifting. Sometimes it uses slipping lock-up, sometimes it does for a while and then release it and slip like crazy (or so it feels, that it stops even trying to use lock-up).

I'm also getting some mixed results on gears 2-5. Sometimes if I give some throttle but not enough for it to downshift the engine will rev up 100-300 rpm and then bounce back. 6th gear locks fine and I believe slipping lock-up should only use like +/- 50-100 RPM or so.

Mine is on a 2007 S80 by the way so it's an early gearbox with the old valve body before it was updated or revised or what ever.
Sounds 100% normal. Every Volvo I have driven does this when it is cold enough, not just the P3 cars with the TF80-SC, but the 5 speed auto as well found in the P2 and P1 cars.

There is also a "partial lock" mode on the TF80-SC, you are probably noticing that too. I generally notice that in higher gears at lower RPM/load.

Registered
鈥14 XC70 3.2 AWD, 鈥17 BMW M240i
My V70 did the same thing. My S60 T5e goes one better in that after a cold soak below -15c (which I saw quite a bit last winter) it refuses to shift below ~3,000RPM for the first few minutes of driving unless I use the manual shiftgate. That sort of thing is fairly common in modern vehicles for the sake of better emissions.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your MY15 also does this? I've driven a MY14 Volvo quite a lot and I only had it slip a handful of times ever. I think all of them where when the engine was semi-cold and I applied some more throttle. It would sit at 3000 RPM and slip, though even then it would eventually lock once the cars speed matched the RPM at the gear.

Registered
鈥14 XC70 3.2 AWD, 鈥17 BMW M240i
Your MY15 also does this? I've driven a MY14 Volvo quite a lot and I only had it slip a handful of times ever. I think all of them where when the engine was semi-cold and I applied some more throttle. It would sit at 3000 RPM and slip, though even then it would eventually lock once the cars speed matched the RPM at the gear.
The '15.5 slips when cold but you really have to pay attention to catch it. The difference between slipping and locked is hardly more than ~200RPM. The 3,000RPM behavior I described is simply a refusal to shift in the name of building heat. It's just a guess on my part but I suspect it has more to do with heating the catalytic converter than anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts