1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
This is pretty much inline with that top gear episode and their failed attempt to increase track time of a renault I think it was... I don't know why but it makes me feel better I never got an air intake upgrade :p

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Doesn't surprise me, the gains claimed with most intakes are pretty exaggerateted. However their are gains, and most will be amplified as the power level increases. So them claiming a performance intake on their dy****su pos won't make noticeable gains is probably true, however, I would like to see the comparison on a 5/600whp car and see how a ghetto "pod" filter vs the leading competitor stacks up.

Beyond popular belief some stock components are better engineered than the aftermarket ones available. To this day the stock NSX air box with panel filter has produced the best results over all other intakes until forced induction is introduced.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Forced induction - Now, I like the sound of that...

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
honestly i knew i wasnt getting any real power upgrades when i got mine, it was more for the audible upgrade. i wanted to hear to the turbo, pure and simple. mission accomplished lol

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah they sound awesome but I dont know makes me want to rethink spending 250 on something else for the car.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Yeah they sound awesome but I dont know makes me want to rethink spending 250 on something else for the car.
Good idea ;)

DP
FMIC
Suspension
Brakes

Plenty to choose from more worth it imo

·
Registered
114 Posts
Has anybody tried heat wraps? Aside from the Kpax take on it? Don't think I've ever seen or heard any success or failures w/ Volvos.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Their methodology was pretty suspect. "Let's run the stock setup a bunch of times, cherry-pick the highest number, and then mostly compare single dyno pulls to that number!" That said, I wouldn't expect a huge gain out of what they were doing anyway. Cold air intakes have a less pronounced effect on turbo cars as the air still has to travel through a very hot turbo. Also, an effective cold air intake is probably going to have a smoother flowing pipe with a length/size that is dyno tuned to the specific car, not a crappy filter duct taped to some dryer hose.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I knew it... No use what so ever on a normal car... I guess on a 1000 hp car, a 1.5% increase would be noticeable somewhere :D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Heh. Makes you wonder how companies like Injen and K&N get away with advertising gains of 10 - 20 hp. Wouldn't that be considered false advertising?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I would like to open my intake because I'm rather addicted to that spooling sound mmmmmmm

To my understanding, with turbo cars, we shouldn't be looking for number increases overall, we should be looking at a faster spool with less restrictive intakes, the same concept as what a 3" downpipe offers us.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Heh. Makes you wonder how companies like Injen and K&N get away with advertising gains of 10 - 20 hp. Wouldn't that be considered false advertising?
Well, one thing which probably gains the customers attention and the advertising gains is probably down to the "placebo effect" where you spend good cash on something and your brain says "IT PRODUCES MORE POWER".

As most vehicle owners don't dyno their cars before and after, you can't really say anything, as you are likely to get the answer after dynoing the car afterwards only: "Your car had 210 insteadt of 220 hp" or so...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well, one thing which probably gains the customers attention and the advertising gains is probably down to the "placebo effect" where you spend good cash on something and your brain says "IT PRODUCES MORE POWER".

As most vehicle owners don't dyno their cars before and after, you can't really say anything, as you are likely to get the answer after dynoing the car afterwards only: "Your car had 210 insteadt of 220 hp" or so...
Yes, but I very curious as to how Injen, for example, was able to achieve a 19 hp increase.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
They didn't even bother tuning it to each filter. They said at the end that you may find an increase if you tune the car to filters - well of course!
I love MCM but this was a bad test.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Like mentioned above, mods that increase turbo efficiency have the potential to increase power thus something like a warm air intake could possibly produce an additional amount of power now that the turbo has the ability to breathe.

So when Injen says there intake can increase your car 5whp then yeah I beleive its possible with the right supporting mods.

The ghetto filter and janky setups don't prove or disprove their argument in my opinion.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I caught their last show wasn't Bad . ( Their Testing didn't allow time for the Car's ECU to Adapt - It could be a slight Timing Adjustment ) due to a Constant Temp - reduction

Mostly - Fewer Bends and a Larger Sq. Inches in Area of the - Filtering Median .

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Testing didn't allow time for the Car's ECU to Adapt.
I didn't think about that, and on top of it, today's cars are so controled by their ECU's that I doubt less restriction is going to gain horsepower. The ECU is going to keep boost at X psi anyways, its just less stress on the turbo to spool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Air intakes only compliment exhaust upgrades. The only difference you will notice with a CAI is a bit more of a rough note from the rear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I didn't think about that, and on top of it, today's cars are so controled by their ECU's that I doubt less restriction is going to gain horsepower. The ECU is going to keep boost at X psi anyways, its just less stress on the turbo to spool.
ECU's don't take time to learn, they learn as fast as any computer.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts