SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! I was wondering if anyone knows of a cold air intake that would work on the 2009 S40 2.4i, I can really seem to find anything. Thanks again!

·
Registered
656 Posts
The stock CAI works pretty well, so you could keep using that. But if your looking to spend a few hundred, eurosporttuning.com and vivaperformance.com both sell after market CAI for the 2.4i. There are a bunch of threads on here about them. some folks have made their own for a fraction of the price, but the word is it's tough to beat the performance of the stock set up as it performs pretty optimally.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
what benefit does a CAI have on an NA car? i had a hard time justifying why i should buy one for my T5, and never did.?
Im not trying to dissuade you or anything but im wondering what the real world results might be?

I prettymuch want one because it sounds/looks cool.
just Dont want to expose my ecu or draw hot air from the bay....

·
Registered
257 Posts
what benefit does a CAI have on an NA car? i had a hard time justifying why i should buy one for my T5, and never did.?
Im not trying to dissuade you or anything but im wondering what the real world results might be?

I prettymuch want one because it sounds/looks cool.
just Dont want to expose my ecu or draw hot air from the bay....
I have the Viva Performance CAI on my 2.4. They claim there are performance gains, but honestly it's not going to help or hurt your power enough for you to ever notice. Some people say they get better mileage with them though.

Personally, I just like it for the sound and looks like you said, but also for how much room it frees up in the engine bay once you get the stock air box out. Everything is much easier to get to and work on when you just have some tubing going through there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am looking to gain a couple of horsepower and improve the sound of the engine. It would also be a good chance to work under the hood without a ton of skill necessary.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
One of my concerns was that if i did get a new intake, routing the air from the front radiator grill would muffle the sound i was looking for from an open filter. and i know there arent many known problems with having the ecu mounted inside the bay instead of in a box, but i also am missing the splash guard so it can get a bit wet and dirty inside the bay in mine/

·
Registered
257 Posts
I suppose it might muffle it a bit more than an open filter, but it still opened the sound up a lot for me. And that slight muffling might be a fair trade off anyway for the difference in air temp you'd be pulling in.

I can't say too much on the matter though, driving a 2.4i.. I'm just making guesses based on my own experience.

As far as the ecu goes, I'd probably be more comfortable with a splash guard. Though my ecu is actually pretty covered from the bottom since it sits pretty high and above a lot of stuff, so I'm not sure if that would shield it enough to get it dry.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
when you see mud splashed up on the inside of the hood its a bit concerning.
I dont know, The T5 sounds soo good as it is, especially with the exhaust, i can just listen to that all day.
(yes im purposefully rubbing it in) :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah I'd definitely get a splash guard if I was going to leave the ecu out then. Intakes are all just a matter of personal taste anyway. Plenty of guys leave the stock airboxes in, I just hate how much room they take up really

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
^ yeah it is very annoying. oil changes. :(
btw adam, just saw a picture of your car a minute ago in another thread... Looking good man, you gunna paint that trim or not?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
For the most sound run it with an open filter and remove the insulation from under the hood. With the absence of power the 2.4i is extremely easy to mod just a simple intake and remove the fiber glass from the muffler and I think it sounds perfect and all of it should be DIY.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
257 Posts
^ yeah it is very annoying. oil changes. :(
btw adam, just saw a picture of your car a minute ago in another thread... Looking good man, you gunna paint that trim or not?
Thanks! And yeah, I just didn't want to fool with it when I first got it all on since my car was inoperable for about a week already at the time lol.

I started painting the trim blue this week, but it's hard to find the time with school going on so for right now I'm just driving around with a blue front lip and mirrors haha. Hopefully I'll have it all done by next week though. I'll post pictures as soon as I'm finished. It's starting to look pretty sharp

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also I have seen videos from FosgateLife where he has a straight pipe from the first resonator back. Would anyone know of any back pressure issue or noise concerns with a mod like this on a NA engine?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Also I have seen videos from FosgateLife where he has a straight pipe from the first resonator back. Would anyone know of any back pressure issue or noise concerns with a mod like this on a NA engine?
No back pressure issues. There's a lot of confusion about back pressure on N/A cars, but straight piping won't hurt it at all. Lots of drone and the exhaust in general is a lot louder of course, but no issues aside from that. I'm probably going to do a 100% straight pipe on mine. Catless and all. I figure if it's too much, I can always add a resonator or something to tone it down a bit.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I thought that only the pre-face lift models have the fiberglass packing in the muffler?
Oh yes my bad mine was a 2005 which was what I was referring to but yes only the pre-facelift models. As far as problems go I remember someone had a lot of emission issues after chopping up the exhaust, I would recommend having a shop throw you on at least a small
Muffler to get a sporty note instead of that flat 5 sound.

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts