1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my CAI:

What, you can't see it? Maybe if we look closer with a flash:

Ok fine, lets just remove that GT foglamp grill:

But what about under the hood you say...

What you don't see it? What about with some flash...

You have to look REALLY close:

Very simple to do:

You need 3 feet of 2.5" black neoprene hose from http://www.Pegasusautoracing.com (split the cost of a 12' or 6' with someone, I have 3' I'll sell to someone here I'm sure $33.99 / 2 = $17.00).

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/Images/L/3620.JPG

You need open GT foglamp grills. (43.24 Euros / $54.05 each)
You need a 2.5" nozzle of some sort. ($2)
You need a clamp to hold hose to nozzle. ($.50)

Open airbox, remove filter and press in three legs on air valve in bottom:

entire valve slides easily out bottom of box. Stagg dremeled away that keyhole shaped support for more air flow (I didn't do that, but may later).

route 2.5" hose into bottom of box. Now the hole is actually 2.25", so this takes a little patience to work it in. Or you can get a 2.5" to 2.25" nozzle adapter. I just worked it in.

Next, remove stock grills if you have a 6MT, and you will see the shroud you need to cut a hole in. Trace the outline of the nozzle on shroud.

I was working with Volvo mechanic this morning doing this so we just lifted car up and remvoved plastic shroud, takes 5 minutes - remove 4 bolts and slip out from behind bumper, there are tabs that slide out of slots up at the top. Then we used a saw attachment do-hickey that he attached to a drill and cut the hole based on outline.

Re-attach plastic shroud to bumper, attach nozzle to hose, slip nozzle through hole. He had some cool black glue stuff to seal around nozzle. Put GT foglamps back in and you are done.

With a lift, entire process only takes less than an hour (I could do another one in 30 minutes).

Now I have a CAI, BMC filter, Svenske DP and exhaust. Total flow overkill with no increase of boost, but hey, I KNOW Inga breathes good.

Well thank you to Jim (inspiration) and Lee (my stateside parts connection). http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by "R" Kelly at 8:14 PM 8-12-2005

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: Cold Air Intake Installed - can you see it??? ("R" Kelly)

Installation review....

You'll lose some ram-air effect with the way the hose is angled...

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Cold Air Intake Installed - can you see it??? (JimLill)

Quote, originally posted by JimLill »
You'll lose some ram-air effect with the way the hose is angled...

Well I know, but since I'm only running stock boost, I wasn't even stressing the stock set up. Bonus is less bugs end up in my air filter with it slightly deflected, you can see all the bug guts, VERY bad problem here.

I need a longer nozzle to do it right (no jokes please). The "nozzle" I had was actually the 2.25" - 2.5" adaptor I didn't use for air box. EASY swap if I want to maximize ram-air effect. Might look for one and put a screen over it.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »
does this mod do antyhing performance wise?

On a "chipped" car it has the potential of 3+ HP. Plus it also lowers the IAT on any car..

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Re: (JimLill)

On a "chipped" car it has the potential of 3+ HP. Plus it also lowers the IAT on any car..

What sort of IAT reductions did you see with this mod? Should be easy to do runs with/without gaffer tape covering the inlet for comparison.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: (vizwiz)

Quote, originally posted by vizwiz »
What sort of IAT reductions did you see with this mod? Should be easy to do runs with/without gaffer tape covering the inlet for comparison.

about 3 degs...

- ambient 75F
- AC off
- car full warmed up
- driving lightly, no boost

perhaps more under other conditions..... the A/B is much more complicated than duct tape.

I also think that I see quicker recovery from high boost induced IAT during the off boost cool down portion of driving.

see: http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=42623

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (vizwiz)

I know it's a small thing (and not the point of this mod), but I like the look of the open fog lamp grills better. Matches the center scoop area.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (JimLill)

I also think that I see quicker recovery from high boost induced IAT during the off boost cool down portion of driving.

Well, I know that about mile 10 (of 13) of the Nordschleif at Nurburgring, the engine compartment is pretty warm...so maybe this will help there.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts

Shamed me into it.

Here's some with/without flash of my intake setup. The airbox part is the same as Kelly's except as he mentioned I removed the filter support. Please don't point out the bumper-cover wounds. I'm well aware of them.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Cold Air Intake Installed - can you see it??? (StaggRLee)

Stagg-

That looks great. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif I think you will have a very good ram-air effect happening, especially with dremmeled keyhole.

If I come across a better nozzle set-up I may change, but really don't see a need unless I turn up the boost.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts

I have a loose airbox I have looked at. If you do not cut out the "dam" around that valve in the bottom, an entry there is NG. The added inlet will have little + effect.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Cold Air Intake Installed - can you see it??? (JimLill)

Jim-

Something to think about:

Isn't the filter surface area covered by the "keyhole dam" essentially lost? By adding a secondary inlet feeding that area, at a minimum you are gaining back that much filter ?

Also something someone asked me yesterday, if that keyhole dam was cut out, is it possible at high speeds (120+ mph), that the intake with less pressure could become an exit and you would have air flow going out of the air box instead of the engine? I think that would be unlikely, but I thought I would ask.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts

you are adding 20% intake... but covering ~6% of the filter........ with keyhole in...

as to speed and which inlet wins... strongly doubt there's an issue based upon my pressure measurements

·
Registered
356 Posts

Quote, originally posted by "R" Kelly »
You need open GT foglamp grills. (43.24 Euros / $54.05 each)

Where can I get these open grills???

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Cold Air Intake Installed - can you see it??? (ArtVandelay0023)

At your local European Volvo Dealer. Don't have the part numbers handy, but they may be in Jim Lill's original thread.

Don't need the number really, you just need to specify the ones for European Spec GTs because they have some sort of transmission oil cooler.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Cold Air Intake Installed - can you see it??? (ArtVandelay0023)

Part numbers for left and right open Euro Spec GT grills are:

3067 8049
3067 8050

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

UPDATE: Someone recently discovered you can use a razor blade to cut open slits in your foglamp grills avoiding cost of Euro GT Fog Grills, so total cost for this CAI is about $30 for the hose, nozzle and clamps. Less than that if you split the cost of 6' section of hose (only need 3').

What is great about this design besides low cost - simplicity of design, ease of install, and you don't have to worry about the rain getting into your air filter.

Also, finally found where I put the larger angled air scoop, so I'll install this soon with all my other new mods when I can drive again. Haven't decided whether to cut away the square part or use it to mount a screen to avoid bugs making their way to filter.

Cut the "keyhole out" for better air flow

If you really want to make this simple mod fancy, see how they did it on MTE S60RR
http://forums.swedespeed.com/z...72609

1 - 20 of 31 Posts