SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've been "around" forever and probably should know this by now, but how do adjustable Coilovers compare to 4C? I fully understand the difference between tightening a nut and that the ride height can be adjustable as well, but in terms of the range between the most comfort-oriented setting and the firmest, how could I expect these options to compare? And how safe is it to tinker with? Is there a risk of making it too soft and rolling over easily or anything like that?

·
Registered
11,944 Posts
4C is only an adjustable damper. Coilovers are adjustable springs. So they're totally separate.
You could use them together if 4C is programmed properly or recalibrated each time you change ride height.

You're not going to risk rolling the car no matter what you do.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Is it actually practical to re-calibrate 4C frequently like that? Or does it require a trip to the dealership?

Anyway, maybe I should explain the reason for the question. I would prefer the R-Design, but my commute doesn't cross the most well kept roads in NJ. I would probably want to soften up the suspension, at least for the winter, and I'm wondering if the R-Design with some coilovers could give me what I want without the added expense of long-term 4C maintenance (if I decided to keep the car past S&S) and while allowing me to have the R-Design's beautiful interior styling.

If coilovers (and maybe a set of 17" or 16" wheels) could get me through the winter, the R-Design may be what I want.
If not, my options are limited to the T6 AWD (with 4C) or T5 AWD.

·
Administrator
55,951 Posts
The right set of coilovers will give you the greatest adjustably with dampening and ride height. The challenge you may run into with the size of wheel is the size of the brake caliper. On the R-Design, you may be able to find a set of 17" wheels that fit.

A non-4C equipped vehicle gives you the greatest flexibility to change your suspension. There have been some discussions in the R Forum (04-07 S/V Rs) about programmatically "hiding" or "disabling" 4C from the computers but the process has not been perfected and this is not something you will be able to do with Volvo. The R-Design is non-4C, so you would have the option to add coilovers. ERST appears to offer coilovers for the second gen S60:

Here is the link to ERST's website of S60 products: http://www.erst.ne.jp/e/lineup/s60/index.html

You could try the Dynamic suspension springs and shocks to see if they would soften the R-Design enough for your roads. Try a test drive on your local roads with a T6 or T5 with the Dynamic suspension and see how you like it, then do a follow-up with the R-Design. The R-Design may do well with the 18s but if there is a 17" wheel option, that may help slightly.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Chris. Well, looks like I have something else to think over now. =P

1 - 5 of 5 Posts