SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a step by step to doing coilovers? or have instructions? i need help installing mine. pictures of the steps would be helpful

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
That and springs are the 2 write-ups lacking on here. Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha it's always nice to help

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
There is a much better "How To" in the C30 forum that we have linked to before. I can't find it now though. :facepalm:

The person who wrote it had a genius idea for removing the front strut from the knuckle. Place your scissor jack between the knuckle & spring perch. Much better than the Mazda 3 approach of "hit with sledge hammer".

Found it on C30 World. BOOM as coolin would say. :cool:

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
There is a much better "How To" in the C30 forum that we have linked to before. I can't find it now though. :facepalm:

The person who wrote it had a genius idea for removing the front strut from the knuckle. Place your scissor jack between the knuckle & spring perch. Much better than the Mazda 3 approach of "hit with sledge hammer".

Found it on C30 World. BOOM as coolin would say. :cool:
Should be stickied

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Super Moderator
15,143 Posts
The C30 one is the one that helped me. It really should be stickied for us. Someone on here needs to give a detailed write up on spring/coilover replacement. I guess for the first timer, you're more focused on doing it right than taking pictures though.

·
Registered
152 Posts
use a strut spreader tool to get some play in the front strut. it will allow you to basically stand on the hub/brake and slide the strut out instead of using a hammer. that's what all our vw people do. ECS Tuning sells them.

·
Super Moderator
15,143 Posts
^^ I didn't even use that. I just disconnected everything that was in the way, sprayed a little cooking oil around the base, and gave it a good step-on. Popped right out!

Just remember to keep the three bolts at the top in place while doing this, you remove those last.

·
Registered
152 Posts
^^ I didn't even use that. I just disconnected everything that was in the way, sprayed a little cooking oil around the base, and gave it a good step-on. Popped right out!

Just remember to keep the three bolts at the top in place while doing this, you remove those last.
Good lubricant is key but the tool usually makes it easier. The front suspension on these cars is very similar to mk4/5/6 vws and those are very difficult to do without the spreader. The suspension on these cars is very very easy to do and really shouldn't take more than 25-30 minutes per corner in the front. Any shop that charges over 2.5 hours is just incompetent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts