SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself in this forum. A little background on myself, I used to own a 2005 Volvo S60R which you can read about here if interested. I sold my S60R earlier year. I also own a 2000 V70R and a 1997 850R both projects in the works. Recently I was in the market for a more reliable daily driver and my search began. I was flipping between leaving the Volvo game and trying my hand at something new, but alas here I am with my new to me 2012 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design with a Polestar tune.

The car has roughly 51k miles on it and is a CPO Car. Black interior and just about fully loaded. Not sure why I bought a CPO as I am sure I will be voiding that warranty REAL soon. I will keep this thread updated in the coming days, months and years as I progress through various performance, exterior, interior and suspension modifications. I plan to leave no aspect of this car untouched and I hope I can be a help the community throughout my time here. Thanks for reading!

Initial Impression:

I have always been a huge advocate of a manual car, but fell in love after my first test drive. The car is incredibly torquey and fast especially in the 80-140 range for only having a Volvo Polestar tune. I cannot even imagine what performance modifications will do to this car! Handling is spot on with over-steer present even on stock suspension. The interior is classy and I love having navigation, Bluetooth and everything else at my finger tips. The luxury aspect is still present and something that attracted me to this car.

-Connor

·
Registered
113 Posts
Congrats! I'm thinking of straying for reliability soon... Hope you have good luck with the new generation! How long of a warrantee did you get?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Congrats and best of luck in modifying your S60RD! I used to own a 2012 S60RD and I absolutely loved, but I left it mostly stock only adding the IPD Rear Sway Bar (highly recommend) and added the KN Filter. I think the only thing that I would have upgraded on my 2012 S60RD was the front brakes to maybe a better rotor and pad combo since the front brakes are smaller than 2013-up R-Design models; they use the regular T6 AWD brakes up front.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
>> the front brakes are smaller than 2013-up R-Design models; they use the regular T6 AWD brakes up front.

In 2013 they used the larger brakes from XC90 V8 models. So I bet it is an
all OEM parts swap. I did recently change the rotors on our XC90 and they
are heavy!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
>> the front brakes are smaller than 2013-up R-Design models; they use the regular T6 AWD brakes up front.

In 2013 they used the larger brakes from XC90 V8 models. So I bet it is an
all OEM parts swap. I did recently change the rotors on our XC90 and they
are heavy!
It's a lot more than just swapping over rotors, you need larger calipers and new brackets; oddly enough the brake pads are the same P/N. Been discussed on here before plenty of times; pricey upgrade but definitely feasible to do over say a Brembo kit.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CMOD_R's Build thread 2.0

Started things off slowly this month. 35% tint on the sides and 20% on the rear. Need to wait for the sun to come out to take some more shots outdoors

Also got a chance today to install my IPD rear sway bar this weekend! Always loved these on all my cars. Handling is great, less body roll, simple installation and great fitment. 30mins roughly to install. Jacked the car off the rear diff as it seems there as not as many suit bake jacking points on these newer cars vs my old P2 model.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Starting to do some paint correction as the previous owner/dealer did not treat it right. Will follow up with more photos

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Subscribed

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
CMOD_R's Build thread 2.0

Got some goodies in mail recently big thanks to ViVA Performance and Snabb!

These are set of silicone reinforced intercooler hoses. In my past experiences Rubber hoses do not last long. They crack break and fall apart. So seeing how my intercooler is going on this weekend, I figured there would be no better time to do these hoses! Full review to come

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ladies and gents. This thing is HUGE..... Big shout out again to ViVA Performance

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
So very very jealous. Painfully so. Be sure to post pics of it with the bumper off and once it's all put back together. It's so big it should have a lot of visual presence...Racecar swag at its finest :)

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright.'Twas a great morning.
Baseline DYNO went extremely well and MAN Volvo might have underestimated their crank numbers. All info below. Car is bone stock.

Average numbers are 276awhp and 345awtq. I did see 284awhp on one run. Runs were done in 3rd and 4th gear. And we're about the same. 16.5 psi tapered to about 10psi by redline

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Great numbers! Your PSI numbers are right on par with what I was seeing from my boost gauge when I had it hooked up in my 2012 S60RD; though I would see a spike of almost 18psi 2-6 gears and only 14-15psi in 1st gear (this was using an IPD boost gauge I had from my 2007 S60R so probably a small margin of error to be accounted for).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Thanks for doing the base-line dyno run. Numbers are better than I was expecting actually. It helps confirm why these cars run out of breath up top. Look forward to seeing your results with that ginormous intercooler and downpipe. Wish that intercooler cleared the radar/sensor thing in the grille that my car has...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Alright.'Twas a great morning.
Baseline DYNO went extremely well and MAN Volvo might have underestimated their crank numbers. All info below. Car is bone stock.

Average numbers are 276awhp and 345awtq. I did see 284awhp on one run. Runs were done in 3rd and 4th gear. And we're about the same. 16.5 psi tapered to about 10psi by redline

Awesome numbers, so that's low 300's on a dynojet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice job and good looking numbers! Looking forward to seeing the post IC dyno, and how much of a performance increase there is!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
So awesome :)

1 - 20 of 222 Posts