SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Inga has been parked for over 3 weeks since I got knee surgery, and it was fine when I parked it in the garage after road trip to CA. But today when I went out to drive it for first time, the clutch pedal drops all the way to about 2 inches from the floor before any resistance, and it doesn't want to go in gear.

How does a clutch fail while parked? Any ideas what it could be? A spring maybe?

Not my daily driver, but the wife's Toyota just went into the shop yesterday for a week, so I need it... arghhh. :(

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Umm, where is the line and how do I bleed it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Umm, where is the line and how do I bleed it?

Thanks!
There is a video on YouTube. Try searching S60 slave or clutch bleed.

Edit: found it.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats awesome, will try that. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
If you want you can remove the air box and then wrench on it from the top and stick a line from the nipple to under the car. Or you can get under it and right above the tranny mount it is...it has a blue cap over the bleeder nip...use a long line from the nip to a catch pan so it doesn't pee on you...hahaha get it??

Use the brake resivior obviously and a motive bleeder if you have one

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
From under neath you need small hands maybe...but you don't have to take the airbox or anything out..just reach up at the right angle

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
same happen to me, the brake fluid can make a lot of things if the car is parked for long times. In my case ended in a bad slave cylinder but took my clutch out also for replacement.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I would not bleed the clutch that way, or should I say fill up the reservoir. He's introducing air into the system. The tube is filled with air, he connects it to the valve, and so that air is being pumped into the system before the system gets fresh fluid. It's like an IV injection, without clearing the needle and creating an air emboli.

Even if he cleared the air from the end of the tube before connecting it, he theoretically hasn't cleared the bad fluid, which could be bad because of air or moisture.

Can someone comment on the thinking behind this and what I'm missing here?

edit: referring to the video posted.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Before bleeding, I think the first thing you should check is brake fluid level and for any leaks around the transmission.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I used a Motive Products Power Bleeder on my car for brakes and clutch bleed. It was well worth the initial investment and I have paid for it a few times over using it on my other cars and on friends cars as well. Also, with as dirty as my fluid was in the slave cylinder when I bled it I wouldn't doubt that leaving it to sit could cause it to fail.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Before bleeding, I think the first thing you should check is brake fluid level and for any leaks around the transmission.
+1 on this. Check the obvious before doing a lot of extra work you may not need to do. If the brake fluid is really low, or there is a puddle, or if it's even just wet around the bell housing area, you found your culprit. Do they really use the brake reservoir for the clutch on our caRs? What ever happened to Volvo's redundancy thought process (like 1's and 2's that if you lost half your brakes, you still stopped on 3 wheels?)

-note, my experience with hydraulic clutch systems comes from years with an old Toyota Celica GT and a Triumph Spit. Both failed at one point or another.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will check brake fluid level before attempting this.

If it is a bad slave cylinder, anyone know how many hours volvo dealer will charge and how much the part is?

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Pirate- yeah they use the same resivoir. I have a 78' spitfire and rebuilt all the hydraulics on that too...well the whole car actually. MG A's has a weird master too...its like 2masters put together and they use the same resivoir. We got 2 A's.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Will check brake fluid level before attempting this.

If it is a bad slave cylinder, anyone know how many hours volvo dealer will charge and how much the part is?
If it's a bad slave cylinder, your clutch is probably gone and your flywheel will probably need resurfacing. I got charged for 7 hrs of labor + parts. Might as well get the single mass from viva..

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Paisley Pirate;1956016. Do they really use the brake reservoir for the clutch on our caRs? What ever happened to Volvo's redundancy thought process (like 1's and 2's that if you lost half your brakes said:
A lower level of redundancy can be achieved by partitioning the reservoir, however I have never been convinced that they have done that. Clearly two seperate reservoirs are the "safer", but more costly option.

I believe the Spitfire and Celica both use external slave cylinders, making it a less than $100 bucks and an hours labor, as opposed to the $2k + for Volvo. Of course I remember when Volvo used a cable for clutch actuation.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mine Failed whilst parked it welded itself to the DMF. Not a pretty sight though that was a totally solid pedal no travel so not entirely the same me thinks. BTW Its a legal requirement that the car is able to brake at least two wheels should one circuit fail so I would not be that worried about redundancy...........

·
Registered
998 Posts
Kelly, hope you get it fixed. I sent ya a PM, please get back to me! Thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts