SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey so a day ago i finished one of my mods on my 04 S60 R ,evolve ams and turbo inlet pipe so after to took it for a spin.....so i punched it with the traction control off and i went no where:( and i smelled like clutch really bad...it still drives but when BOOST kicks in the car rev limits it self like the traction control is engaging is this my clutch slipping or is it something else.

also how much power can the stock clutches handle on the R???

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
May be your MAF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Stock clutch is pretty good, should be good up to a full stage 3. I am guessing yours was a bit long in the tooth anyway, how many miles on it? If you hit boost and the RPM's go up faster that the car accelerates it sounds like a slipping clutch.

What do you mean by "the car rev limits itself" need a better explanation

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
worn clutches slip in the higher gears like 5 or 6th. Not when you punch it off the line in 1st, unless it is really toast. Are you sure it was not wheel spin, and perhpas you do not have AWD due to other failures?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what do you mean my MAF....why would it cause my R to hesitate and not take off

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
has anyone ever drove their R in the snow.....with the dstc on when you floor it the dstc engagaes and it cuts the rpms from going higher
thats what my r is doing when i drive it now i gas it and the rpms cut out right when i boost

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
worn clutches slip in the higher gears like 5 or 6th. Not when you punch it off the line in 1st, unless it is really toast. Are you sure it was not wheel spin, and perhpas you do not have AWD due to other failures?
Have you EVER driven a car with a bad clutch?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah but i feel like the traction control is hiding it........what else would cause my R to do this did i screw up the turbo intake pipe and AMS?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
If the revs go faster than they normally do, compared to speed/acceleration, and you smell a lot of clutch, then you need a new clutch.

There's no intake related mod besides a turbo itself, that would just suddenly cause the clutch to slip. If it started slipping now, it's a coincidence.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Good example would be, it feels like you're spinning the wheels, except you're not. Then you know its clutch.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I think you effed up in the install of the Snabb and AMS go check my post in your other thread. If that is all good then it is possible your AWD is out and your just noticing now that you have more power and are getting on it more, but keep it simple and recheck the stuff you just installed first.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Have you EVER driven a car with a bad clutch?
Yes I indeed have. I have also diagnosed and replaced clutches on many cars from Big Block Chevy drag cars, Alfa Romeo, BMW, Mercedes, and front and rear drive Volvos.

What part of the statement about worn clutches slipping in the higher gears first, do you not agree?

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
After i installed my MTE tune, my clutch slipped left and right, in any gear. Obviously it was worn, but stock power wasn't enough to slip it.

My 740 turbo would slip in higher gears when it's clutch was on it's way out, though.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Yes I indeed have. I have also diagnosed and replaced clutches on many cars from Big Block Chevy drag cars, Alfa Romeo, BMW, Mercedes, and front and rear drive Volvos.

What part of the statement about worn clutches slipping in the higher gears first, do you not agree?
A car with alot of power, and especially AWD, will slip in first more than any gear (This makes logical sense), especially on hard launches, why would you ever think otherwise? If it slips in 5th or 6th, then there's no way in hell it wouldn't slip in 1st.

Drove a honda just a few weeks ago with a bad clutch (this woman had no idea) and it would just sit there, you could hardly get it off the line, once it was moving it was somewhat bareable to drive.

·
Registered
398 Posts
A car with alot of power, and especially AWD, will slip in first more than any gear (This makes logical sense), especially on hard launches, why would you ever think otherwise? If it slips in 5th or 6th, then there's no way in hell it wouldn't slip in 1st.

Drove a honda just a few weeks ago with a bad clutch (this woman had no idea) and it would just sit there, you could hardly get it off the line, once it was moving it was somewhat bareable to drive.
Not true. And this is exactly why:

http://www.miataturbo.net/showpost.php?p=815998&postcount=15

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
For N/A cars, and slow turbo cars, this in theory is true, especially with FWD and RWD. You have to consider all the things though, AWD will slip more than any other.. Also the R's aren't not powerful (not to say that they're even fast) but they hold good ground. That's why I specified cars with power.

I've been working for a buddy for a few years now, we flip and tune any DSM... Typically Evo's and GSX's. My buddies DD (GSX) is running E85 with a GT30 (was on the stock clutch) went to launch it against some mustang, revs just shot up in 1st, and again in 2nd. This was the first time after a few months of running the stock clutch with nearly 450 whp. It never happened in higher gears.. This went on for a couple weeks, and ended up getting a 6 puck 600 lb-ft capable clutch.

From my personal experience, I've never had it slip in high gears and NOT slip in 1st gear. Countless amounts of bad clutches I've had to replace. Maybe it's just DSM's (since this is the majority of what I work on) but it is what it is.

·
Registered
956 Posts
replace your clutch!! I had to do mine last year around 117k

1 - 20 of 22 Posts