SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had my '99 S70 since late July, and to date, I'm loving everything about it (besides the lack of turbo, but oh well). I did, however, buy it knowing it would need a clutch replacement soon. And despite the best combined powers of the all-omnipotent Google and the search bar, I still have a few questions;

1) I've heard of 2 approaches to this; dropping the transmission from below by removing the subframe, or raising the engine from above (all praise the 90 degree hood). Which would you recommend? (note: I'm choosing between upgrading my floor jack, or renting an engine hoist/stand).

2) I know the clutches are slightly different 98-99, but I'm not sure if that makes a significant difference to installation procedure or torque specs. Are they close enough that I should be able to follow the Haynes/Chilton manual for an 850?

3) I've also been told that the rear main seal should be replaced while the trans/engine is out. How straightforward (or not) would this job be?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
1) I've done it both ways, and I recommend dropping it out the bottom, without removing the motor at all. Hang the motor on an engine support: http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html you don't even have to drain the coolant.

2) It should be a dual mass flywheel, I'd get the right specs. On the other hand I'd convert to single mass flywheel, but that's just me. If it's NA it might have single mass, in which case yes it's the same specs and instructions as an 850.

3) It's as straightforward as any other seal. gotta lube it and put it in straight, but there are no tricks or complications.

If you have the internal slave cylinder you need to replace that too, as they're known to be not-so-reliable and it's inside the bell housing as well. And it usually ruins your new clutch with fluid if it fails. I also recommend new transmission seals, which are also fairly cheap.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I'm also changing out my clutch/flywheel in my 99s70t5m. I want to go with the single mass flywheel. What parts do you recommend I get? Can you recommend sources? Not trying to hijack, but this info will benefit both of us!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Another question, what is the advantage /difference of the 850r flywheel vs a standard sm flywheel?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Not sure there is one. I've heard but not confirmed that they're interchangeable. Anyone else know for sure?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pardon the stupidly late reply. In my defence, I'd like to point out that I got knocked out and spent about a month working out a nasty concussion, which may or may not have led me to forget about this thread in it's entirety. All thanks to my lacrosse teammate taking a +100mph shot on goal, which I managed to stop with my face.

1) I've done it both ways, and I recommend dropping it out the bottom, without removing the motor at all. Hang the motor on an engine support: http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html you don't even have to drain the coolant.

2) It should be a dual mass flywheel, I'd get the right specs. On the other hand I'd convert to single mass flywheel, but that's just me. If it's NA it might have single mass, in which case yes it's the same specs and instructions as an 850.

3) It's as straightforward as any other seal. gotta lube it and put it in straight, but there are no tricks or complications.

If you have the internal slave cylinder you need to replace that too, as they're known to be not-so-reliable and it's inside the bell housing as well. And it usually ruins your new clutch with fluid if it fails. I also recommend new transmission seals, which are also fairly cheap.
:beer: To you, good sir.

I'm also changing out my clutch/flywheel in my 99s70t5m. I want to go with the single mass flywheel. What parts do you recommend I get? Can you recommend sources? Not trying to hijack, but this info will benefit both of us!
-->From what I've read (and I'll dig up sources in a bit), 850 T5 SM flywheels will work, but the original clutch has to be changed for one that will go with the flywheel... That's about as much as I've figured out so far. What I want to know is, will an 850R clutch just fit in an M56H like the threads tell me?

Link to one of the cheapest SM flywheels I could find, by the way. http://www.swedishautoparts.com/850/Volvo-850-transmission-parts.html#linkbar

EDIT: Not a definitive source, but I distinctly remember seeing more on it around this forum: http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic/127028-850r-clutches-kit-and-single-mass-flywheel/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts