SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all i have had the volvo lifted for a few months doing some work to her and pretty much driving every other car i own. With that said i took her out for a ride yesterday and notice under hard acceleration the clutch is slipping. The car has 56k Miles and b4 i got the car it had the entire clutch assembly replaced and that was 20k miles ago. I am not new to MT nor did i learn on this car so i am very confused on what is possible going on. Are there any known issues. I have had SS brake lines installed and replaced everything with Volvo fluids. I did think that the clutch felt a little different after the brakes but according to Volvo it was fine. Any ideas or help beside i need a new clutch would be great.

In feb i will be getting a stage 2+ or 3+.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
when you did your clutch, did you also change out your flywheel?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes everything was changed with OEM volvo parts. I still have old clutch and flywheel !

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been researching the S60R clutch to replace my clutch with anyone know if this would be considered an upgrade from the S40 OEM clutch ?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Alternative clutches.

The clutch kit for the now discontinued S60R and V70R has about 40% more clamping force than the standard clutch. I am running one in my own car which I run with the 'RS' turbo.

It has a sprung disc which is unusual in current cars with a DMF but it is likely that Volvo specced it that way to take into account the extra shock load that can be generated by the grip of four driven wheels.

This 'R' clutch makes a very usefull companion for a single mass flywheel as its sprung disc mitigates against the loss of the springing in a DMF.

On the subject of possible premature failure of the standard kit it can be down to poor aftermarket mapping giving high torque spikes, but this is much more prevalent with so called 'tuners' in the ST aftermarket here in the UK. I have to say that insensitive engagement of the clutch and the heat thus generated can very quickly denature the friction material and the backing materials causing slip......

Regards, Don.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
I have been researching the S60R clutch to replace my clutch with anyone know if this would be considered an upgrade from the S40 OEM clutch ?

Great Whom, Bleed Your Brakes ?

How was It done ?

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes. Source: I've done it.

I think it gives around 40% more holding or something.

EDIT: Here's my thread on it, this should help: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?180691-Clutch-pedal-gone-out-(My-turn-for-a-problem)&highlight=clutch
Thank You Cant wait to read !

I am running one in my own car which I run with the 'RS' turbo.
Regards, Don.
Im pretty sure i have high torque Spikes. After the Autotech(Elevate Tune) the TQ is incredible in 3rd which is where im finding my slip, Although i dont really accelerate hard to often. Great info! Im def either going 2+ or S60R clutch. I also wanted a lightweight flywheel but im unsure about that yet.

Great Whom, Bleed Your Brakes ?

How was It done ?
I had it done at Volvo after they installed my SS lines and new pads and rotors. I did have to take the car back once after since the clutch felt sloppy. After that it was ok. But its never felt right to me.
Good to still see you around !

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally getting another clutch bc i cannot use the power in 3rd or 4th and have been driving the car more. For some reason the trans un 3/4 to full accel is shooting the rpm up and holding at 5k while the car continues to accelerate and in 4th under full accel the rpm shoot to 6+ followed by a clutch burning smell.(only time the clutch smells is when the rmp jump. When the trans holds no smell at all)
Either way im going to just grab the S60R clutch kit and go from there. Sucks that this clutch maybe has 10-15k miles on it. Weirdly it doesnt happen all the time and i can drive the car fine as long as i dont put the power down and even the it varies. Let just hope its a clutch not clutch and trans

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so i have put in the order for the 06+ S60R Clutch kit and Flywheel. I noticed a lot of people have been doing the seals and wondering if i should do then again or not?

Also Is there anything else i should be buying? Does anyone have the info on the new update slave?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Ok so i have put in the order for the 06+ S60R Clutch kit and Flywheel. I noticed a lot of people have been doing the seals and wondering if i should do then again or not?

Also Is there anything else i should be buying? Does anyone have the info on the new update slave?

Thanks
Really nothing to know as only the updated parts are available. Just make sure you actually replace them. VIVA link with diagram & part numbers.

EDIT: Actually their numbers are now out of date. Current Vent Pipe is 30787651. Current Slave 31258380
Looks like the slave will come with bolts & seals. Order O-ring 9143918 for the vent pipe & I think you'll have everything you need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts