SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Clutch pedal gone out (My turn for a problem)(Slave Cylinder)

I was just driving home, and decided to go for a pass. In doing so I slapped the clutch pedal down pretty hard and it didn't cone back up, thank god I was already moving fast enough to complete the pass and get safely to the side of the road. Now the pedal was able to be pulled back up (I was still moving at the time so I didn't have the chance to watch it come back).
Now I was able to limp the car home as the clutch is still semi responsive. It is very soft towards the top and extremely hard at the very bottom. The clutch also does not fully disengage. if I give it any bit too much gas the engine will just revs and I will not gain any more speed. I have done a very short search however I am on my cellphone so was very difficult. If there is any insight I would greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: Just to post it up front, as others have diagnosed, it is a clutch slave cylinder as is common on the M66 transmissions.

I'm going to try and keep track of my process here (hopefully some kind of a write up, but no promises). I will be combining all of the data from this thread into this post, hopefully to bring together as much data as possible about the options/process.

So I would like to upgrade the power of the S40 in the future (though I don't think it will be past the capacity of the stock clutch as I do not plan to ever swap the turbo) so I am making different considerations between clutches and flywheels.

Things recommended for this job:
Slave Cylinder (of course)
Slave Airvent Pipe
Clutch
Flywheel
Flywheel Bolts
Engine Rear Main Seal (Crankshaft seal)
Transmission Front Seal
Transmission Output Shaft Seals (3 Outputs)

Slave Cylinder: It seems like T5's have a long hydraulic fitting, whereas 2.4i's have a short.
Tasca: $125.66
http://www.swedishautoparts.com/S40/volvo-s40-clutch-kits-and-parts.html $172.34
S60R/V70R Slave Cylinder: $216.99

Clutches:
OEM S40 from Tasca: $201.65
OEM S60R from Tasca: ~$245
OEM Valeo Clutch Kit: $354.36
Spec Stage 2: $869.99
S60R/V70R stock clutch: $388.81

Flywheels:
SMF (single mass flywheel): http://www.vivaperformance.com/single-mass-flywheel-m66-awd-manual-gearbox/: $599.99
Spec SMF: http://www.ultrarev.com/so60s.html $539.10
DMF (dual mass flywheel): http://www.vivaperformance.com/genuine-volvo-dual-mass-flywheel-s60r-v70r-eng-3735358/: $845.11

On the subject of what alignment pins to get with which clutch:
when pairing the SMF with stock clutch the flywheel should come with 6mm pins.
when pairing the SMF with SPEC clutch it should have 10mm pins.
MM's Thread, detailing use of S60R clutch and S60R slave vs S40 slave: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?172894

hfwilkesjr's Thread, detailing his use of S60R clutch, SMF and S40 slave: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?175032-Wish-me-luck

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
This just happened to me a couple months ago. The clutch slave cylinder is the culprit, unless you find a leak/problem somewhere else. It is located on the trans output shaft so you might as well do the clutch and seals at the same time.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Pretty common problem with the m66. Premature slave failure. Replace the slave, flywheel and rear main seal while youre at it.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thank goodness I at least know what it is.

Where should I look for sourcing?

Eeuroparts, tasca is it?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I went with tasca. I did the job myself but it isn't for the faint of heart.....it took me significantly longer than I expected.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
In addition to the rear main seal, I also changed the trans input shaft seal and both output shaft seals. All are easy access with the trans out. They're not too expensive. I would also go with the single mass flywheel, it's less expensive, has a performance advantage over the OEM dual mass flywheel and it should last longer. When researching, I came across horror stories of the flywheel not being replaced, failing shortly after the clutch job and then the costumer needing to pay the mechanic again to do essentially the same job.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
yup. hit the ATM for parts / labor. while your doing slave you should def do the clutch and flywheel while your in there because the time it takes to get there is...costly.
unless you dont plan on keeping the car for very long.....

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sh!t, alright, looks like this repair is going to be a pretty penny.

Let the parts sourcing begin! Couple things, Tasca is not showing a slave cylinder. Unfortunately because I'm newer to the car, I'm unsure of sites that supply aftermarket parts. Is there a list somewhere?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
i got the slave from my local dealership when i did mine. also get the airvent pipe with the slave. but tasca would probably be cheapest for the clutch. if you want to go SMF get from ViVa. it is actually less expensive than oem DMF with some performance benefits. although you may experience addtional noise (see: chatter). you will also need to source flywheel bolts x 10 iirc.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
This is the flywheel I went with, http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEC-Steel-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item48409fe00f Also, whoever you get the SMF from be sure to tell them if your going with a Volvo clutch or a Spec clutch. The pins are different.
I called tasca by phone to place my order. If you're going to be increasing the performance of your S40, you may want to consider the 2006 or 2007 S60R clutch. It should come up in a search. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Alright, first post edited with the information that I have come up with so far. As all you guys are saying it sounds like Tasca is going to be a winner. I think I want to do the SMF with this, but to add $600 to this bill is also not at the top of my list.

Tasca stated that they think that the S60R clutch is different than ours, but does anyone know if it will bolt up for sure (nevermind just read that Wilkes has one on his car)? Wilkes, is it only 06-07 R's?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wilkes, I remember that thread, but never came back to it. Thanks!

Slasher, what is the airvent pipe that you're talking about?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wonderful, thank you! Ordering today.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Wonderful, thank you! Ordering today.
Just ordered the SMF, S60R clutch, S40 slave, flywheel bolts, rear main seal, and tranny front seal. Everything came out to just shy of a grand, including shipping.

EDIT: Oops, meant to edit, not quote.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
it's a little plastic piece that attaches to the slave. ~$20 part iirc. if you spoke to tasca i am sure they told you to get it.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So the clutch and the flywheel just got here and I'm finding out that I have the wrong tabs on the flywheel, see attached picture. I have a S60R clutch and spec single mass flywheel. Now I have a ton of questions. I would be asking the supplier or spec, but considering that I am from the left coast, everything is closed. Thanks guys.

1) Did I order the wrong flywheel when I told them it was going on a S40? AKA, does the S40 have different tab holes for the flywheel as compared to the S60R?
2) How can I remove the tabs from the flywheel? (Pressed in, screwed in?)
3) Are the tabs required for alignment, or are they just there to make install easier? (I'm wondering if I have to change them or not)

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Hey Adrenaline.
when you say tab holes do you mean the pins?

when pairing the SMF with stock clutch the flywheel should come with 6mm pins.
when pairing the SMF with SPEC clutch it should have 10mm pins.

from your post it sounds like you have volvo clutch and SPEC flywheel with the 10mm pins.

i believe you need to send it back to spec for them to press in the correct smaller pins.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yup, I got the 10mm pins then. Currently on the phone with the supplier who is on the phone with spec tech (yo dawg).

The pins are pressed in for everyone's information. I'm wondering if I can just take this to a local flywheel shop and have them replace them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts