SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the drag strip tonite, on my second pass, I'm stage at the line and the tree turns green. I'm between 3k and 3.5k RPM and easing out the clutch to get a decent launch and it moved, but it was moving like it should have. In comparison, my 60' times are normally 2.2 - 2.3 secs, and this was almost a 2.7. May not seem like much, but it seemed to take forever.<p>Anyways, finish the run, and as I'm slowing down, I there's an odor thats getting stronger. I assumed it would be burnt clutch, but it smelled like burning plastic. I smelled someone roasting a clutch in a 4wd full size Chevy truck, but the odor I had didn't smell anything like it (except bad).<p>Also, the clutch seems to feel lighter now. Did I just toast my clutch and shorten its life a TON? At the line it just didn't feel like it was grabbing the way it should have, like it did the first run.<p>So any ideas on why my clutch pedal is lighter (clutch going?) and what that burning plastic smell was? I checked the car top to bottom, but could not locate a source.<p>Thanks for the help!<p>Rue

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Re: Clutch issues possibly? (Rues R)

Check your clutch/brake fluid. Could be that the slave is starting to leak, and with a hot clutch, you are smelling the leaking fluid. If your clutch (facing) is worn, it will slip in the higher gears. I have no suggestion for the different "feel".

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Clutch issues possibly? (rogersampson)

Checked reservoir. Still good on fluid level. No problems slipping in the up gears. It was grabbing like a beast as it went down the track (even on the second pass with the odd launch).<p>The clutch was replaced less than 30K miles ago...I really don't want to replace it again. And I really don't want to take it to Volvo either. They'll wanna 'diagnose' it by taking it apart. Arg.<p>Also managed to break the rear most exhaust bracket (off the pipe, not the hanger attached to the R itself). Didn't have much of a weld on it, but I thought I'd throw that in there FWIW.<p>Rue

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Rues R</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The clutch was replaced less than 30K miles ago...I really don't want to replace it again. And I really don't want to take it to Volvo either. They'll wanna 'diagnose' it by taking it apart. Arg.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Then keep it off the dragstrip and avoid those 3500 RPM clutch engagements. Otherwise........if you play, you may have to pay.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Clutch issues possibly? (MagoonR)

I know you have to pay to play. My point is, why did it happen so SUDDENLY. I don't think one launch took half the remaining life off of my clutch.<p>Ideas as to whata to check, possible problems, etc.<p>Thanks.<p>Rue<br>

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Just took it for a ride to see how it felt. No smell anymore. Clutch engages normally (not higher or lower than before) but it's still quite a bit softer than it was before.<p>Just out of curious, how hard/soft is the clutch pecal in other R's?<p>Rue<p>EDIT: Just looked at the master cylinder. The rear fitting (closest to the cockpit) looks to be seeping a bit of fluid. Looks pretty fresh. Where does that go? Also, the other end of the line looks like it has some fluid on it (though a bit older as it has collected dirt). Reservoir is full however. Is it possible that the master cylinder is going bad? Hear about slave cylinders all the time, but has anyone had the master cylinder go? I've grown accustomed to a bit of a dead spot in the brake pedal (even after a brake flush). <p>Any ideas?<p><BR><BR>
<i>Modified by Rues R at 9:03 PM 4-8-2009</i>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts