SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this evening, I got all of the preliminary stuff out of the way (pipes, battery, etc). I would like to use this thread to get my ass out of stuck situations. I ran into the snag, where I cannot get off one of the linkages.

I cannot remove the linkage with the orange tab. I got it started by pulling back the collar, lifting the orange locking piece, but then it only slides back, but does not come out. I've been trying to get it out, and I need someone to point me in the right direction. You can see the linkage I am talking about on the right of this picture:

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's another picture of the linkage in an R, again its the orange one, but this time on the left.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Use a pry bar to gently separate the ball joints fron the linkage. Be sure not to break the plastic ends of the linkage.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright great, that went perfectly. This is a bigger question.

When dropping the tranny should I plan on taking the angle gear with it? I think that I am going to leave it in the car. Or at least I am going to try. Any insight on this?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Good question, if it isn't going to be in the way during the removal then I would not detach it. I'm not sure, my S40 is fwd.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Good question, if it isn't going to be in the way during the removal then I would not detach it. I'm not sure, my S40 is fwd.
are you doing this at your house? after you remove the sub-frame you gonna have to support the engine from not falling down, so youll probably need a jack to support the engine and a transmission jack for your tranny

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, so the tranny is free of the engine and the angle gear, but the subframe is in the way, looks like I have to drop.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Alright, so the tranny is free of the engine and the angle gear, but the subframe is in the way, looks like I have to drop.
The lower it is the easier it will be, I had to lower it more than expected. Including unbolting the rack.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
according to VIDA you have to drop the subframe and sway bar
I probably would have if I had a lift, and the desire to separate the passenger side shock assembly or separate the passenger control arm from the subframe. I had enough room without doing that. If I had a lift I would have dropped the subframe, wheels and shock assemblies as one unit.....yeah, I need a lift. Why did that darn clutch wear out! It knows I don't have a lift!
I'm just letting Adrenaline406 know what I did and maybe my 2¢ can help him on his adventure.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes it will thank you, I'm pulling the angle gear this morning and with the subframe semi-unbolted, it looks like it will drop out.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Alright, angle gear does not need to come out to remove the tranny, just both cv shafts.

I just removed the input tranny seal, without checking to see if it was the right one, and of course I have the wrong one here. So I'm on the search now. I've been told that it is Timken part number 221207, and the OE number on the side is 8675580. I'm going to cross them to see if this is correct.

EDIT: that is for the automatic tranny, can anyone offer the part number for the input shaft seal of a M66?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Unfortunately, it's dificult to differentiate which seal is which because the description isn't specific. Just a number and some were swapped out because I recieved the wrong seals. www.volvocountry.com was right on the money whenever I spoke to a person by phone.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
I always removed the angle gear when removing a transmission. Less weight to try and counter balance during the R&R of the trans. Besides in most Volvo applications frees up the peep hole to the clutch to flywheel hardware which can be zipped off with an impact gun.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Its almost all done, I'll post more tomorrow evening!!! thanks again guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts