SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like some advise.

My clutch went out on my 05 S40 T5 in a different city, took it to a dealer and was charged 1600 for the replaced clutch. When I got it back, there was a burning smell of clutch within a few days. They would not warranty through my dealer, so off it went 100+ miles back to the dealer it was fixed at. They told me that they washed the bell housing out with a hose. A month goes by, and there is a knocking noise, so I take it to my dealer and they tell me the clutch and flywheel both need to be replaced now, and Volvo will only warranty the clutch, so they want another 1100 bones for the flywheel. I called Volvo, and they are having the service manager look at the situation. Here is my question. If they say I need to fork out another 1100 after all of this, what direction should I take this? I kind of feel like they screwed my car up, and now hold all the cards.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Replacing the clutch on our cars costs $1600??? Holy (lots of bad words). Hope mine doesnt go out soon.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
The knocking noise is the dual mass flywheel. I had my clutch replaced last year and the same thing happened a month later. Luckily this was all done under warranty. When you do a clutch replacement, it's often a good idea to switch the flywheel too.

If I were in your position, I would get a single mass flywheel if that dealer won't replace it. I would give volvocars us a call too to complain.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The knocking noise is the dual mass flywheel. I had my clutch replaced last year and the same thing happened a month later. Luckily this was all done under warranty. When you do a clutch replacement, it's often a good idea to switch the flywheel too.

If I were in your position, I would get a single mass flywheel if that dealer won't replace it. I would give volvocars us a call too to complain.

by knocking sound you meant the marble sound you previously had ? or they are two different things?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Yup. That's the throw out bearing slave cylinder whatever you want to call it.

I say tell then the new clutch is faulty since its making noises

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the original mechanic, AT VOLVO said the flywheel checked out when he put the new clutch on. I brought my car back four times. FOUR F#CKING TIMES to tell them it was not right. I just got a call telling me it is my responsibility to replace the flywheel.:mad:

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Give VCNA a call

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought a new flywheel from Viva. Talk about a bad business decision from Volvo. I have always had my car serviced by them, now will find an independent. Will not look to Volvo for my next car. Wanted a Volt anyway.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
There was probably too much play in the DMF and they didn't "really" check it out, before replacing the clutch the first time. It's a weak link, all for the sake of a little extra smothness, and a little less vibration.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Yikes! My dealer warrants their work for 2 years. I'd be all over them and Volvo corporate.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
Would call VCNA customer care and complain, you are correct in that the failure incurred after the service. You should be re-imbursed for the repairs required thus far after the original replacement.

Dealers can be dicks but VCNA is understanding, especially when it comes to good customers like yourself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts