SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a 98 N/A S70 with 5spd and 74000 miles. The pre purchase inspection gave the clutch and transmission approval. But now that the car is mine I have noticed that the clutch engagement is very abrupt. There isn't any shudder or clatter.

The car has a short warranty and if fixing this requires a clutch job then I could try and have this fixed by the dealer. I don't know the previous owners, nor their skill at driving stick, but the car was around Boston so it could have seen alot of clutch use in its short life.

Any thoughts on other adjustments or simpler fixes? Is this just how Volvo sent them from the factory?

Thank you,
Greg

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Where does it engage, low, middle or at the top of the travel?
And BTW, a clutch is never covered under any warranty (FYI)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
clutch

it engages where i feel it should...about half way through the pedal travel. the friction spot is only about an inch or less so 1st and 2nd shifts are hard to modulate smoothly.

the dealer has apparently taken very good care of customers post purchase... so I think that if it should require a clutch soon he'd either take care of it or work with me. that's the sense I get from his reputation.
greg

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
The only thing I can imagine affecting it would be air in the fluid, might be worth a bleed. Also keep in mind that the clutch is fed by a chamber inside the brake fluid reservoir that is only filled when the brake fluid is almost full. So when bleeding the clutch, you need to have the brake reservoir filled to the top.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Maybe your just dealing with the difference in feel between a dual mass and single mass set up?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, i will try bleeding the line. I don't think that any of my other manuals have been dual mass so I will have to look into how that affects the feel.

greg

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
What are the last 6 digits of your vin? Your car may have a single mass flywheel. The early 98s do and then there was a chassis break and they started using the dual mass.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey will, last six are 604302. i'd love to know whether it is a dual or not. looks like there is a big price difference for those parts.

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,457 Posts
The feel is noticeably different between the two types of clutches. Worn transmission mounts can also play a part in how the clutch engages.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts