SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taught my teenage daughter to drive the R last year. It is hers now and I am okay with it. Today she was stranded and I had it towed. I think the clutch is gone. It starts fine but it will not engage in any gears. I put it in any gear, let go the clutch and nothing happens.

I can fix almost anything except engine and tranny. My mechanic quoted $1,500 to do the job but wife was not supportive (get rid of it and get newer car). By the way it is 2004 S60R with 228K miles. Maybe it was the time for a new clutch with that much mileage. By the way, the main reason I wanted my daughter to drive a manual was to avoid texting and driving.

Should I get rid of it and get something newer and reliable (Japanese) for her?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have taught my teenage daughter to drive the R last year. It is hers now and I am okay with it. Today she was stranded and I had it towed. I think the clutch is gone. It starts fine but it will not engage in any gears. I put it in any gear, let go the clutch and nothing happens.

I can fix almost anything except engine and tranny. My mechanic quoted $1,500 to do the job but wife was not supportive (get rid of it and get newer car). By the way it is 2004 S60R with 228K miles. Maybe it was the time for a new clutch with that much mileage. By the way, the main reason I wanted my daughter to drive a manual was to avoid texting and driving.

It doesn't seem like the $1500 is going to pay for another car. It almost always makes more financial sense to fix what you have with the exception of accidents, rust, or lack of parts availability.

I rarely let the kids drive the R when they were learning to drive and even now. I bought an old 240 with a manual at the time for them to learn on. I had to have the clutch done and it was $500 for that one. Your $1500 is actually less than I was fearing for the R. It was a great car for college...nobody will ask to borrow it because nobody can drive a stick :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
$1500 is not bad. If parts are included.
Flywheel 500
clutch set 300
Slave cylinder 50
Bolt 100
Or just replace the clutch pad itself and redone the pressure plate.
For its mileage it does not worth the repair to most people. But it is up to you. R is not cheap to own.

·
Registered
554 Posts

9hrs labor + parts. flywheel can normally stay otherwise >2k

check shift cable on top of tranny make sure it's not detached and check brake fluid res, look for leak on and under bell housing in case slave poo'd out. clutch fails slowly if normal wear + pedal will engage very early. if VR then fix - SR your call :thumbup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I recently had the clutch done on my 04 V70R. She's got a magnificent 325,000km on her and still runs amazing.

I paid a Volvo dealer in Toronto to do the job. $2100 CAD - was well worth it considering they warranty their work for the life of the car... However long that will be moving forward.

Turns out though the clutch wasn't bad, one of the fingers in the pressure plate had failed. Still replaced everything.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
suga your wife is right...time for Corolla or Camry...you done your job :thumbup: she had the taste , if she misses it one day she will go back to it.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
That sound more like a transmission issue or shifter connections on top of the transmission than clutch.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not convinced that it is the clutch. I drove the car occasionally prior to that and I have not felt anything wrong with it. I do have the short shifter kit (not the one sold by Viva). I think I have to do some more digging and get to the bottom of it. Thank you for all the input I will update once I have time to work on it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
suga your wife is right...time for Corolla or Camry...you done your job :thumbup: she had the taste , if she misses it one day she will go back to it.
Dougy I am not quite sure if you are being sincere or ……., however I still buy lotto so that I can buy yours :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sincere...lolol
Lol just as I thought. we need to have another get together just like last time, I really want to check out (more like test drive) your S60R before you sold it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts