SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of a sudden my 06 90k R had trouble going into gear first thing in the morning. Thought maybe it was because it has been cold out but after driving for a few minutes everything seemed ok. So I thought oh well. The car has sat for 3 days till today when I noticed the same problem, except now the clutch pedal went to the floor and not back up. I limped her right back home.

So I figure it's time for some expensive repairs!!!! From what I gather I need the following:

Clutch Kit
Master Cylinder
Flywheel resurface or new

What else should I be looking into doing at this time? I'm thinking timing belt for sure. Along with the Angle gear collar sleeve service kit as I'm pretty sure the awd is down

Can anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area recommend a shop for repairs???

Please help me decide what else I need to do to keep her running or say F it and dump this car....I'd like to try and keep her though

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Most likely you'll need a slave cylinder, not a master cylinder. Replace clutch and flywheel with OE dual mass or go single mass flywheel if you don't mind extra noise.

Replace collar sleeve and might as well change trans and angle gear fluid too.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
434 Posts
I might be asking this for you Galoot, but I'm interested for myself too.. Does the flywheel need to be replaced or can it just be resurfaced? Those OEM flywheels are expensive.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I got one off of a caR that had 40k and had it resurfaced. Used it when I put my new clutch in and have not had any issues.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Anyone know the estimated mechanic hours involved?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Around 10 hours. Also you can get a new DMF from ViVA or Tasca for ~$800 they really aren't made to be resurfaced.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If you plan to keep the car long term, and are having a shop perform this. Definitely get a new flywheel. If you resurface yours or a used one even with lower miles, you do run the risk of the resurfacing process not being precise enough or running into dual mass flywheel noise. Then you will be paying the shop again to tear the transmission out again and replace with a brand new unit.

Why not spend a little extra money on a new one to save in labor in the long run.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It's not bad to do yourself with a little bit of mechanical inclination.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought about working on it but without a lift, it sounds way too hard. Have to lift the motor and drop the tranny. I'm too old to be under jackstands doing that!

I'll end up with the new flywheel. So I'm looking at what 3-4000 to do all this right? Yikes! Hard to swallow!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I had a reputable shop do mine for less than $2K, and as I can see after taking it all part again is they did a good job for the money I paid them.

For professional mechanics with lifts its not that hard of a job. The angle gear is the only thing that makes it worse than any other FWD clutch replacement.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Replace slave cylinder air vent tube, its known to fail.

The regional rep at the time said it was a discussed problem on 05's but may have poured over to 06's. The cause was engine movement that would cause the slave cylinder tube to flex and bind.
This is correct. The "tube" (air vent pipe, per Volvo nomenclature) is known to flex/crink after some time, which results in reduced hydraulic pressure to the clutch slave cylinder, and ultimate failure of the slave cylinder. On other Volvo models (except the R), it is integrated in the clutch slave cylinder. The reason why the clutch slave cylinder design was updated is partly due to the design update of the air vent pipe itself. The pipe design is updated to prevent crinking / binding after long-term use.

Labor should not be more than $800-1000

Clutch kit is $250, New OEM Flywheel $700-800 , Slave Cylinder $150, $50 Misc parts, $50 fluids

http://volvopartslisle.com/ -- Very good source for OEM Parts

·
Registered
305 Posts
FYI, all the part numbers listed here are for my 04 M66 VR. I think the newer cars have different clutch part number.

Volvo Slave Cylinder 31259889 Tasca $148.10
Spec Single Mass Flywheel SO60S specclutchsuperstore.com $539.10 (Make sure to get it with 6mm dowel pins)
Slave Air Vent 30787651 Tasca $23.66
Transmission input shaft seal 8675580 Tasca $8.04
Rear main seal
Angle gear service kit 31256246 Tasca $139.81
Angle gear reseal kit
Transmission fluid
Angle gear fluid

I put about 20K since the clutch job. If I had to do it again, I will probably stick with the OEM dual mass flywheel for my daily drive use.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nothing really wrong with it... It spins quicker and etc, but the chatter is a bit annoying and there seems to be a bit more shock in the whole clutch engagement process. I don't track my car. So for DD purpose, I think the dual mass works better.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Did you go with the spec PP and disk too?

I'm converting over to the spec flywheel but volvo disk and PP since I like the engagement of the factory unit and don't plan on exceeding its max torque transfer value.

·
Premium Member
3,740 Posts
I went with Volvo PP and clutch with the Spec flywheel. I have chatteriness. I don't really care.

I've read on a Porshe forum, that some people have had luck with ditching their SMF chatter with Redline MTF. But I haven't tried that.

It all comes down to the fact that the flywheel no longer has a sound deadening material in it. So you hear the pulsations of the cylinders as they fire.

Disengaging the clutch gets rid of the sound, and once you get moving, you don't really hear it over the engine.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
That chatter I can live with. Did you use a sprung disk or get the solid one?

I'm planning on filling the tranny back up with some Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 so it will be interesting to see if that keeps the idle gear rattle down to a minimum.

My sixth gear now whines a little so hopefully it can quiet that down as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts