SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '98 V70 AWD does not have the trip computer. I have been bugging my competent indy to do the PIN upgrade, but his contact at the dealer is having a hard time figuring out what they need to do. Anyhow, even if I get it done that way, it's going to be expensive.

So I'm thinking of a cluster swap but I'd prefer to keep my mileage accurate. I see that all the parts of the cluster come apart - and I'm thinking if I go this route it'd be nice to get a v70r cluster while I'm at it. My question is, is it enough to swap the v70r's trip computer to my cluster, or is does the 'activation' reside in the main board of the cluster itself - so even if I switch the gauges and the trip computer, I'll still be left needing to activate via a PIN?

The other option I've heard is that if you find a complete used cluster with mileage lower than your car's the dealer can program the new cluster to your verified mileage, and this may be cheaper than activating the trip computer at the dealer?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Used clusters generally cannot be reprogrammed with altered mileage at the dealer. Only new clusters can have mileage set when new. While it is possible to install other Instrument clusters and have them work properly, it is not a guarantee they will work 100%. Usually same year and market clusters will work, the mileage displayed will be what is stored in the cluster, higher or lower. The mileage can be manipulated but its not legal to do and sometimes frowned upon to discuss illegal things around here. The trip computer working or not may be a crap shoot. Its possible you could swap out that portion into yours and have it work. I don't know for sure but worth a try.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not looking to do anything illegal - heck, I'm looking to go out of my way to keep the exact mileage if possible! The post I found on Volvospeed was fairly certain that the dealer could modify a used cluster so long as you were moving it up in miles not down - and the poster said he'd had it done several times. Anyhow, that's not a preferred option either as the total cost and hassle could easily exceed just getting the PIN done properly.

My preferred option would be to take the parts from the R cluster, but the more I think about it, the more likely it seems that the trip computer unlock resides in the same electronics that store the mileage - so swapping that piece wouldn't get me anywhere. I'm hoping that someone knows for sure though.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I know you aren't trying to do anything illegal. On a 98 it gets a little dicey whether you can easily do it or not. Most 99 and up can be flashed and things can be changed. Its a rather gray area. You want yours to go up in mileage, where say maybe an unscrupulous seller or dealer, may take it down. See where that goes? It can be done on a new or used unit, just not sure on a 98. Some of the coding may not match up like tire size and fuel tank size. Iirc, there were many options in coding when using a VCT2000. I have swapped cluster on many volvos and they will work if the same part number for sure. Some may need coding changes to operate properly. If you could get one cheap, it'd be worth a shot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
98's can be swapped into 98's, however you cannot remove the trip computer bit like you can on 850's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
No way Jose

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
the best I could do was to put 183K cluster off of 98 xc70 with a trip computer into 186K 98 v70glt.
it did cause the "not actual miles" message in the carfax/autocheck reports.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts