SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this volvo is new to me its a 2005 volvo S40 T5 awd automatic. I noticed then i let off the gas i hear a clunk and when i hit the gas again i hear a clunk, basically going in and out of coasting. Is this a motor mount? ujoint in the rear axle? My car only has 60K miles on it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Sounds like the upper passenger side mount. That clunk is most likely your motor rocking back and forth on a dead mount. That's my best guess based on when you say it happens. Good news, there is a DIY on here to fix that. Good luck.

·
Registered
274 Posts
My guess would be the same, check the mounts out. Oddly enough, having the same car (05 T5 AWD Auto) I am having the same experience except my problem is NOT a clunk, its more of a slight quick vibration, seems like its coming from back of car. Gotta check it out..

·
Registered
989 Posts
Control arm rear bushings perhaps??
I hope not lol. If it is the upper mount, he could get out of this one for roughly $100 and an hour of his time. :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Can't he test this by pegging the brake, and slowly applying the gas while in drive then try same procedure in reverse. If its a mount gone, he'd get the clunk as the motor would rock with the car being still.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Can't he test this by pegging the brake, and slowly applying the gas while in drive then try same procedure in reverse. If its a mount gone, he'd get the clunk as the motor would rock with the car being still.
Correct. But it may have to be a little less gentle than you imply in order to get the audible clunk. That doesn't mean rocket your car through your garage door though. Probably easier for someone to do this while you stand BESIDE the engine bay and watch the engine rock.
The mount might be bad enough to feel by hand with the motor shut off. Rock the motor forward and aft to try to feel it while watching the mount.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Correct. But it may have to be a little less gentle than you imply in order to get the audible clunk. That doesn't mean rocket your car through your garage door though. Probably easier for someone to do this while you stand BESIDE the engine bay and watch the engine rock.
The mount might be bad enough to feel by hand with the motor shut off. Rock the motor forward and aft to try to feel it while watching the mount.
It definitely helps to have a partner with this

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys. I am going to try and look at this tonight and report back.... I hope it is something simple...i'm not having much luck this week with cars....as my powerstroke diesel is getting towed to a shop tonight.

·
Registered
989 Posts
thanks guys. I am going to try and look at this tonight and report back.... I hope it is something simple...i'm not having much luck this week with cars....as my powerstroke diesel is getting towed to a shop tonight.
Good luck with both buddy! Definitely let us know how you make out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts