SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, i get a metallic clunk somewhere from the front end, down, center to left when going to R on the automatic transmission. The car is a 2007 V50 2.4.
The clunk happens right after i feel the gear engaging so there is first the normal movement and then the clunk. All this when stationary with foor on brake.
Otherwise the gear changes are good and the clunk only happens when going to R.
Fluids have been changed, axle bolts replaced, left drive axle replaced.
Planning to change the lower transmission torque mount but after that i don’t know what else to do, any ideas?

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Hi, i get a metallic clunk somewhere from the front end, down, center to left when going to R on the automatic transmission. The car is a 2007 V50 2.4.
The clunk happens right after i feel the gear engaging so there is first the normal movement and then the clunk. All this when stationary with foor on brake.
Otherwise the gear changes are good and the clunk only happens when going to R.
Fluids have been changed, axle bolts replaced, left drive axle replaced.
Planning to change the lower transmission torque mount but after that i don’t know what else to do, any ideas?
Might be the left side mount as well, one that sits under the battery.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My guess (as others pointed on this forum) is it's the right side (passenger) side mount.
Mine is completely worn out, in the morning first time I engage Reverse, there's no clunk/jerk, though after driving for some time whenever I put it in Reverse, there's always this clunk noise with a slight jerk movement, if I drive for too long, it starts to clunk even when engaging D.

It's easy to replace or at least check its' condition, so if it falls apart in two pieces, you probably want to change it.

Edit: Oh and the engine visibly moves under the hood (but you have to open the hood first), when engaging R.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
My guess (as others pointed on this forum) is it's the right side (passenger) side mount.
Mine is completely worn out, in the morning first time I engage Reverse, there's no clunk/jerk, though after driving for some time whenever I put it in Reverse, there's always this clunk noise with a slight jerk movement, if I drive for too long, it starts to clunk even when engaging D.

It's easy to replace or at least check its' condition, so if it falls apart in two pieces, you probably want to change it.

Edit: Oh and the engine visibly moves under the hood (but you have to open the hood first), when engaging R.
Word to the wise, change that thing asap - i waited for a while too and ended up snapping the bolt that holds the mount to the bracket and stripping the bracket as well.

See my pain here >>> https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?601581-Engine-sinking

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Changed the torque mount no difference...
Yeah, that was bad advice. It's probably the "front" mount supporting the engine on the right fender. If you really want to finish the job, do the left side one too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok, i had the impression that the right and left mounts usually gives clunk when going over bumps etc. I don’t have that but i’ll give it a try, they are fairly ”cheap” to replace.
You don’t happen to have the oem number for it, can’t seem to find it on my regular place of purchase. You mean the mount under the coolant reservoir, right?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
The larger and more problematic mount is just in front of the coolant reservoir, it attaches between the fender and the front of the engine. Two bolts hold it to the fender and two more to the engine. The metal bridge you see above it is basically a separate bracket.

The engine literally hangs on this mount, it's called a "pendulum" mount. It's an oil-filled torus, and can fail by cracking open, first spilling the oil allowing the engine to sag down and move excessively, later by actually breaking in two if ignored for long enough.

Sorry I don't have a number handy but it's a very common part and has been discussed here many, many times.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
That's the one.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
But if your getting a clunk when shifting thats more likely (IMO) the left side mount as it sits right over the transmission - just my .2 cents both can be replaced pretty cheap.

There are two version of the left side mount (under battery), 08+ comes with a hydraulic mount but can be installed on pre-facelift model, you just need the new style bracket as well.

updated mounts:
Genuine Volvo Mount Bracket 30778794
Genuine Volvo Left Side LH Engine Mount 31316498

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok so now i have changed the mounts. If possible seems that the clunk is even more prominent.
Is the gear on these transmissions engaged by levers or is it with hydraulics? I was wondering if the issue could be that the gear doesn’t get fully engaged when shifting and the clunk is the sound when it finally ”falls” into place. Does something like that make any sense and what could be the cure, is any adjustment possible to do with shift range etc?
Driving me nuts this problem...

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Well, both the left and right side upper mounts do have a certain range of alignment that can bring things away from the frame or other objects, but that doesn't seem too likely.

Can you put the car on a lift and have someone listen when this happens? You might have to have the car sitting on its wheels, not a jack. Maybe it's an exhaust, or some other contact. I cannot imagine it's the transmission itself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have this issue since I have the car. I couldn't figure out what it is. All mounts, drive shafts and control arms are replaced and it still does it. I believe it is coming from the transmission and we just have to live with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
how about a damaged parking pawl? the only time there is movement in the pawl is when shifting from Park to Reverse or the opposite. damage to the pawl can cause any number of issues including the pawl making a clunking sound when disengaging.

does Park hold the car on a steep grade still? or will the car roll?

·
Registered
64 Posts
But if your getting a clunk when shifting thats more likely (IMO) the left side mount as it sits right over the transmission - just my .2 cents both can be replaced pretty cheap.

There are two version of the left side mount (under battery), 08+ comes with a hydraulic mount but can be installed on pre-facelift model, you just need the new style bracket as well.

updated mounts:
Genuine Volvo Mount Bracket 30778794
Genuine Volvo Left Side LH Engine Mount 31316498

Is there a way to check which mount I have, or would getting these two just fit in my 2007 V50 T5 AWD (Automatic)?

The mounts on this writeup look different than what tasca offers me: https://www.tascaparts.com/auto-par...ine/engine-cat/engine-and-trans-mounting-scat

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
https://www.fcpeuro.com/Volvo-parts/S40/Mounts/?year=2006&m=213&e=2105&t=6&b=5&d=673&v=

This shows you the top two search results (not the kit at the top) are the different kinds of mounts. The square one is rubber, and the round one is the hydraulic. The Hydraulic upgrade requires a kit, which ironically, costs as much as just buying another rubber OR hydraulic mount by itself.

The kit comes with 4 or 5 bolts, the new arm that goes on the transmission and the new mount.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts