SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 V70R 6MT. When reversing, as soon as the car moves, it clunks (coming from the front, I think). Then, when I shift back into 1st to forward, as soon as I move, there is another clunk. not heavy, but noticeable in each case.

What is this? is this the symptom of the axle spline issue?

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
A clunk would be more indicative of a bad motor and/or transmission mount.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I vote for bad lower transmission mount axle ping is a constant clicking as you are driving.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had a clunk that was fixed by gluing the axle to the splines. It happened when I put the car into reverse.
This is the Volvo dealership approved method for correcting axle ping. They utilize a green bearing retainer "metal adhesive" (as per label on the bottle.)

Do not fit the XC90 bolts with the conical rubber bushing/spacer, they will trap water and cause the axle to rust to the hub.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
This is the Volvo dealership approved method for correcting axle ping. They utilize a green bearing retainer "metal adhesive" (as per label on the bottle.)

Do not fit the XC90 bolts with the conical rubber bushing/spacer, they will trap water and cause the axle to rust to the hub.
Yeah, but the XC90 bolt fix is so much cheaper lol. Also, I'm never getting that damn axle out again.. :(

·
Registered
329 Posts
How are the bolts cheaper?

Part number for the metal glue: 1161370.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts

Not sure where you heard this, but it cant be that common. Also, I learned this from a Volvo tech who has been doing this for years now as well, and no issues.

I did this fix back in 2010, and I have no rust. The car has also seen NY and MA winters...

axle ping is a constant clicking as you are driving.
For me, the axle ping was NOT a continuous clicking, it only happened when changing direction or shifting hard, or letting on and off the throttle in 1st gear...

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
cause the axle to rust to the hub
Which is obviously MUCH worse than GLUING the axle to the hub... :screwy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts