SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My T5 was having the shaking issues while braking so the rotors were replaced under warranty due to warping . Ever since then I get a random clunk sound while breaking or coming to a stop at low speeds ( mostly In parking lots ) . Any ideas ? Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
859 Posts
My T5 was having the shaking issues while braking so the rotors were replaced under warranty due to warping . Ever since then I get a random clunk sound while breaking or coming to a stop at low speeds ( mostly In parking lots ) . Any ideas ? Thanks !

Since it was a warranty replacement did you go back to the dealer with your concerns? - What did they say? That would be the first idea.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I need to bring it in I was just looking for guidance as usually they need to be told what to look for lately . People here know more then they do it seems .

·
Registered
195 Posts
Could be that the calipers were not properly torqued, or pads not installed properly. Could be very dangerous! Take it back immediately.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Could be that the calipers were not properly torqued, or pads not installed properly. Could be very dangerous! Take it back immediately.
Could be this and it could be that. How can anyone "guess" what it might be. I think the OP is doing the dealer a disservice by asking people to "guess" what could be happening.
It might be something totally unrelated to the work they performed. The first reaction from the OP should be to go back to the dealer and ask them.
In my experience as a commercial printing equipment engineer the last person I would want to speak to on the phone is the operator. Put the electrical or mechanical maintenance person on the phone.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Could be this and it could be that. How can anyone "guess" what it might be. I think the OP is doing the dealer a disservice by asking people to "guess" what could be happening.
It might be something totally unrelated to the work they performed. The first reaction from the OP should be to go back to the dealer and ask them.
In my experience as a commercial printing equipment engineer the last person I would want to speak to on the phone is the operator. Put the electrical or mechanical maintenance person on the phone.
Without looking at it those suggestions are spot on. Troubleshooting many times involves logical guessing. If you don’t understand that as an engineer yourself I wouldn’t want you working on my equipment. Someone with an open mind may find an issue you can’t because of your narrow train of thought.

·
Registered
277 Posts
As others have said, it could be the pads shifting. I've had that happen on some other cars due to tolerances on certain pads. But it shouldn't really happen with OEM pads. Hopefully it's not that something wasn't tightened, but it could be.

And I totally get asking here before going back to dealer. They're the ones that messed it up in the first place... I find that with my dealership, I've had to go back several times for different issues they could have resolved on the first try if they had the knowledge of this forum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The front calipers are sliding calipers and a little pad slap at slow parking lot speeds is normal. I usually coat the back o f the pads and clean the guide pins to eliminate that as much as possible but it can still happen. It is the nature of the sliding caliper. This does not happen in a multi piston fixed caliper but they never put those on these types of cars. With the sliding caliper, you only have piston(s) on one side of the caliper to push both the inside and outside pads against the rotor. With partial brake applications at slow speeds, this often results in pad slap. If you never noticed this in the past, it could be that they did not clean and lube the guide pins causing things to hang up a bit. It also could be that they used the old pads on new rotors and you have some uneven pad wear from the warped rotors. They could be loud for a bit until the high spots wear down.

·
Registered
320 Posts
While I don't disagree with you that his first response should be to contact the dealer, it never hurts to have some ideas as to what it might be to educate yourself. When I had my Subaru, I had the power steering rack replaced and in the process of doing that, the exhaust boot for the turbo had been improperly re-installed. Due to that I was getting an intermittent whining sound when accelerating and when I brought it to the dealer they couldn't replicate it as it would come and go (boot was on, but loose). I went on some forums and did some searching and found out it was a common problem and was able to point the dealer in the right direction and at that point it had become worse. I'm not saying go in there and say the problem is X, but never hurts to have an idea of your own as to what could be causing the problem.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Without looking at it those suggestions are spot on. Troubleshooting many times involves logical guessing. If you don’t understand that as an engineer yourself I wouldn’t want you working on my equipment. Someone with an open mind may find an issue you can’t because of your narrow train of thought.
LOL

·
Registered
859 Posts
As others have said, it could be the pads shifting. I've had that happen on some other cars due to tolerances on certain pads. But it shouldn't really happen with OEM pads. Hopefully it's not that something wasn't tightened, but it could be.

And I totally get asking here before going back to dealer. They're the ones that messed it up in the first place... I find that with my dealership, I've had to go back several times for different issues they could have resolved on the first try if they had the knowledge of this forum.
You don't know that.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Exactly my reaction when I fix something people pay a "professional" to do.
Have fun wasting your time and money. :D
What??????
Where did that come from?????? Talking about taking it back to the dealer that worked on the car and you come up with that?????
Have trouble staying fixed on the subject???? :facepalm: :screwy::wave: bye-bye

·
Registered
242 Posts
That escalated quickly

1 - 15 of 15 Posts