SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not in a sixties Batman movie but driving the Amazon last night it made me wonder?
While braking the pedal seemed to have a bit more play than usual and intermittently would make a clunk noise as if something shifted. I was suspecting a loose caliper.

Here is were it gets weird (at least to me) it also was doing a odd rattle along with a similar (same) clunk while decelerating. Sounds like coming from the clutch area.
I know noises can transmit to other areas. Maybe a rear shoe is loose? Had all new brakes done on it several years ago, with very few miles. Scratching my head.
Had other priorities so I've yet to get it on stands.
I'll crawl under when I get a chance. I know its far fetched but does any of this sound familiar? (said not having high expectations:beer:)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Here is were it gets weird (at least to me) it also was doing a odd rattle along with a similar (same) clunk while decelerating. Sounds like coming from the clutch area.
I had this happen on mine. Turned out to be a perished prop shaft bearing carrier bushing. IPD stocks them, I think.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really good idea! I may have an extra from my 68,if its the same, I'll check that. Thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Surprisingly IPD was cheaper (not counting freight) but NAPA had it in stock. So tonight I pulled the shaft and now I'll study on R&Ring the bearing. Looks pretty basic. For now I'm beat. Always tomorrow.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Are you doing the center bearing or the rubber carrier bushings? If you're doing the bearing, BE SURE IT FITS before you ruin the box. I made the mistake with a Rock Auto part.

If it's the bushings, it's a quarter of a beer job.

Might as well do the U Joints while you've got the shaft out?

Mike

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I so far have only gotten the bearing. I think the play is the rubber bushings. I see IPD (and other Volvo parts places) have them. Was hoping for a local source, anyone have any luck getting local?
Yet to study up on bearing R&R. Press out/press in? One way only?
Rain this weekend, probably all next week so I suppose I'm in no hurry. Not that its that nice. Just want to keep it dry.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you doing the center bearing or the rubber carrier bushings?

Mike
Yep got new bushings! Also got a new rear trans mount. I have yet to look over the u-joints but will.
Family issues (elderly parents) have taken most my free time. Hoping to get back to this soon. Thanks Mike!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turns out the carrier bearing was bad. One yoke had a loose cap (had to be replaced) all new u-joints, driveline repair (yoke) new carrier bearing and its still doing it. I think its the LR brake shoe loose in the drum but I don't know yet for sure as my puller bolt broke. Hope to have it fixed tomorrow. Funny had a "Volvo" guy do brakes all around when we got it. Ah well, way past warranty. Stuff happens!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had friction material fall off, once I got the drum off. Could very well be the issue. Time will tell. Pretty sure that would have be the culprit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts