SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some clunking in the front passenger side wheel that I cannot find. Everything seems tight on the wheel, it isn't anything obvious like a ball joint or tie rod end. I suspected the classic problem of the upper strut mount/spring seat, but I just replaced them and that was not the issue; the clunk is still there. I also checked the sway bar ends, and there was no obvious play.

After some research, I suspect the swaybar chassis bushing (IPD HD swaybars and bushings) or perhaps the lower control arm bushing. The noise is hard to describe, but it is very much like what you would expect a worn out upper strut mount to make, but that wasn't it. Anyone have a better idea, or know how I can diagnose this without throwing more parts at it?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the clunk was present and identical before and after. I should have been more specific; I replaced this part, the spring seats:

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4712/112831-ipd-heavy-duty-front-upper-spring-seat

However, I did not replace the upper strut mount bearing:

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5376/112587-upper-strut-mount-bearing

Do those bearings go bad frequently? I noticed a little bit of up and down play in them when installed, but the play was the same on both sides. Both still rotated smoothly. I thought the spring seats were the common failure?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Spring seats are common failure, but the mounts do go on some cars. I actually had to replace mine recently. If your still clunking, you may need to look elsewhere along the strut, LCA balljoint would be next along that path. But it could also very well mean your strut may be gone.

Btw that diagnosis is not definitive, and some wear is not as obvious as well as other people's definition of clunk or rattles may be different.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The clunk is still there, and very noticeable. It does not appear to be the swaybar chassis bushing, it looked good and the bar was solid.

I jacked the car up and shook the crap out of the wheel (hands at 3&9, 6&12), and nothing moved.

Some photos:

Passenger side LCA bushing, car on ground:

Drivers side LCA, jacked up:

Passenger side LCA, jacked up:

Is there any specific test for the LBJ or LCA bushing?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The clunk is still there, and very noticeable. It does not appear to be the swaybar chassis bushing, it looked good and the bar was solid.

I jacked the car up and shook the crap out of the wheel (hands at 3&9, 6&12), and nothing moved.

Some photos:

Passenger side LCA bushing, car on ground:

Drivers side LCA, jacked up:

Passenger side LCA, jacked up:

Is there any specific test for the LBJ or LCA bushing?
You need a prybar to pry on the control arm itself. If it has excessive movement, or it gives no resistance, the bushings are bad.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I have clunking too but I think my struts are going as I found small leaks when I aligned it a few months ago.

Curious how yours play out - keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i just mounted poly lca bushings, and i see now on those pic that mine original bushings was mounted the other way(the steel surface on front bushing) so i mounted the poly bushing same way.
can you mount it both ways? i thought it was the most logical to mount them with the wider surface to the subframe.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Control arm bushings most likely. They don't last long. Take a good look at them the worn out bushings are easy to spot. Post a picture if unsure.
LCA would give you a shake on the highway.clunk is likely a blown strut. i also had a clunk from the rear. i know what a blown strut sounds like and i wanted to be optimistic and make myself think its not blown. the rear shocks cost $550 per pair! time to look up rock auto :(

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is no leak coming from either front strut. The LCA bushings seem to have a lot of play, I am starting to suspect them. Even if they don't fix the clunk, they look tired. Is it possible for a strut to die without leaking at all?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I am getting a clunk in the right front that seems to go away when I select advanced. The odd thing is, I just replaced the strut and top mount on that side last month....

So my next suspects would be the LCA ball joint or the sway bar bushings that look pretty rough. Just odd that it goes away on advanced.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I am getting a clunk in the right front that seems to go away when I select advanced. The odd thing is, I just replaced the strut and top mount on that side last month....

So my next suspects would be the LCA ball joint or the sway bar bushings that look pretty rough. Just odd that it goes away on advanced.
Haha sounds like my problem. Except mine does it in the back. I'm replacing end links today or tomorrow and hopefully that solves it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I had recently replaced a rear left end link that fixed another one. Yesterday I went ahead and bought the other 3 even thpough they are fine just b/c I want as much new as possible :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I had recently replaced a rear left end link that fixed another one. Yesterday I went ahead and bought the other 3 even thpough they are fine just b/c I want as much new as possible :)
I grabbed my end link with a vice grip and tried to move it. It had some movement but not much. However I heard a metallic sound so I'm sure that's the issue.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mine had a clunk noise that I thought was struts. It was only when i hit bumps in the road scrunch sound if going slow and a metal sound with speed. When I jacked up the car it sounded like crunch when lowering it down. I greased my sway bar bushings and everything went away.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Just replaced rear endlinks. The clunk is gone!! Wooo. The rear end looseness is gone as well!!! The old ones were literally held on by the rubber bushing. so much play!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 29 Posts