SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Hoping you can shed some light on this for me.

I have a FWD automatic that gives me a "clunk" sound when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. It ONLY does this when the car has sat for some time, but it happens every time the car is cold. So, it only clunks once and then is done. It will not reappear for the reminder of the drive; regardless of shifting. It is a well-sounding clunk and you can feel it in the pedals.

Also, when I go into reverse and press the gas pedal, I get a small "click". It sounds like something is seating or that. (This could be due to an aftermarket CV DS?)

I'm trying to look at the inner workings of the tranny to see if it is something with that. Has anyone experienced this? Is this something to be concerned about?

Note: I have new mounts all around. I do have an aftermarket CV axle on driver side.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
One possibility is axle ping, especially the click you're getting.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought of this, and I've taken the axle out, cleaned it, applied locktite to the axle bolt, let it sit for hours, and it is still there. I followed the TSB and it is still acting up. I just didn't know if a bad axle would make a clunk form 1 to 2 when cold. Maybe ill try it again... idk

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is default behaviour :) My V50 does the same thing when driving away from a (cold or not) start at exactly 20 km/hour. It’s said to be the car doing its ABS check.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check you tranny mount as well upper toque mount.ready for tranny flush as well?.
All mounts are new, and fluid was flushed with 12 quarts within 2K miles ago.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is default behaviour :) My V50 does the same thing when driving away from a (cold or not) start at exactly 20 km/hour. It’s said to be the car doing its ABS check.
Yes! I do notice that the manual said the car does a check for ABS and the pedal will vibrate, it just seems like a "clunk". I don't have another S40 to compare with, but if you say you fell it (and hear) as well, then I feel a little better! Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes! I do notice that the manual said the car does a check for ABS and the pedal will vibrate, it just seems like a "clunk". I don't have another S40 to compare with, but if you say you fell it (and hear) as well, then I feel a little better! Thanks.
Yeah it’s a typical metal sounding ‘clunk’. I’ve asked around before on the Dutch Volvo Forum and many people were familiar with it. Nothing to worry about :)

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet! Thanks for the confirmation. That's what I wanted to hear! Like I said, I've seen it in the manual, just didn't know what it would sound like. Thanks!!

Thanks one clunk down! Now onto the ping going backwards uphill... The joys.

·
Registered
135 Posts
[...]. I followed the TSB and it is still acting up. [...]
What TSB are we talking about here? Is it in VIDA? I dont' recall having seen any TSB about axles and I have been getting a subtle noise that I believe to be axle related and if there is a TSB i'd really like to see it.

Can I swap the axle bolt with the XC90 one to stop axle ping?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"Clunk" From 1st to 2nd Gear - Only Cold

TSB I got for a one time fee of like $4 from Volvo Tech Info. Basically you can download as much as you want in like 72 hours I think. It's on their site.

Cracked VIDA doesn't have TSBs. You can find them on some sites for free. There's a decent amount for the S40.

See here for info I posted: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?t=234949

1 - 11 of 11 Posts