SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody here use their clocks to tell time with? I usually set my clock faster so I'm early; but after maybe 2 or three months the clock slows down by 7-10 minutes. (and consequently I'm fashionably behind schedule those 7-10 min) Wondering if anybody else has noticed their clocks slowing down; the battery has been replaced and is less than a year old and the terminals are fine; no noticeable electrical issues; instrument cluster looks/workx fine; temp is typically accurate. Perplexed...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've had that problem. I thought they were changing the time clock at work but I set my watch, cell, and car to the same exact time and after a few days my cell and watch were the same but my car had lost a few minutes. No idea why cause it doesn't seem to be doing it anymore. Or maybe cause I've stopped using it as much I haven't noticed it lately.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Welcome to the club! I think they chose a poor internal clock (or quartz) with these cars. It's fine for the rest of the electronic but pretty lame for telling time. Mine has always done so and I stop relying on it a long time ago...

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Wow, been a long time since this came up. The early models had this issue a lot, but dealers can correct it if you tell them how much the clock gains or loses over a long period of time. If you have the delta over a month, that's more than enough.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting; I def searched this one out but most of what came up was the clock moving forward dramatically. Always confused me a lil; good use of delta ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Mine was slow by a few seconds per day. It would get a few minutes behind per month. All better since it was tweaked in, like, 2006. :)

Search might be a little rocky for really old posts. The forum software was reset a couple of years ago and while the old posts were eventually recovered, the search has always been iffy. Try using google with "site:forums.swedespeed.com", sometimes that nails it.

[edit] here's one, not very conclusive though http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?43864-Instrument-Cluster-Clock-Slow&p=405841&viewfull=1

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Mine (05) loses a minute or so each month. Quite annoying, imo, but not worth a trip to the dealer ($$) !

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Would we be billed for an update to correct a problem? This is always something I really don't care to comprehend.....

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Well that explains it - I seem to loose about a minute or two every month and I just reset it every once in a while.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just one more confirmation: I had this issue in my '05 V50 and my mechanic was able to correct it just by knowing how much it was off over a period of weeks (or a month). Mine was losing a minute or two every month. I wouldn't have managed that a clock would need to be calibrated, but apparently the one Volvo used does. He fixed it easily during an oil change visit.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Car clocks, analogue and digital, are notorious for being inaccurate. They are subjected to pretty large temperature swings which impact the drift rate. These are not high dollar movements. Mechanical movements have friction changes due to the expansion and contraction of materials. Electrical components change value with temperatures (ie. capacitors). I use this to explain why my clock runs slower in the summer than in winter. It is interesting that there is a calibration fix. The amount of calibration may vary with season.

Stan

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
OMG I was just telling someone how much it annoys me that the clock in my S40 loses time. Usually a couple of mins every month.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
An other victim . . . welcome to "my s40 slow clock anonymous". We are all here to help each-other . . . ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
My clock has always been slow also, to bad it didn't slow down the warranty expiration accordingly. I've lived with it for seven years and 105,000 miles, I guess there's no need to pay the dealer for an update now.

Happy 4th of July to everyone!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
lol so maybe we're all getting younger according to our cars? Or perhaps the clock issue is related to the flux capacitor and we're going back to the future?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Mine needs a minute or two every month as well.

Car clocks, analogue and digital, are notorious for being inaccurate. They are subjected to pretty large temperature swings which impact the drift rate. These are not high dollar movements. Mechanical movements have friction changes due to the expansion and contraction of materials. Electrical components change value with temperatures (ie. capacitors). I use this to explain why my clock runs slower in the summer than in winter. It is interesting that there is a calibration fix. The amount of calibration may vary with season.

Stan
You've got it all wrong. According to time dilation in Einstein's special theory of relativity, a clock moving quickly will run more slowly than a stationary clock. The T5's are fast - thus the slow clocks!

:p

Just kidding, you'd need to maintain a sustained speed of 75,000 miles/hour to achieve a velocity time dilation of 1 minute/month (1.0000234 gamma). Maybe with a bigger turbo...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
OMG I was just telling someone how much it annoys me that the clock in my S40 loses time. Usually a couple of mins every month.
my old Gen 2 (2002) s40 did that as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts