SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange message came up on the dash today while sitting in traffic. "Climate system running due to internal cooling." It's a strange almost cryptic message that doesn't describe any actual issue. It would pop up and go away over and over again. At the same time some extremely hot air started coming out of the vents as described by others here. I've looked through the forum and found few others with the same issue but the underlying causes/solutions were mixed and there haven't been any posts regarding this in almost a year. I'm 400 miles away from my warranty expiring and was wondering if this is a serious issue and if it needs to be checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,087 Posts
It is not an issue but a preventive measure IMO. Were you driving in high temperatures without AC? The internal components (Sensus and/or the Engine itself) needs to maintain a certain minimum temperature before they start degrading and hence the system kicks on the Air conditioning while blowing all that high-temperature air out.

Also, search through the forums for this issue. I remember reading the same issue somewhere here. Let others chime in. In the meanwhile, you could go see the Dealership about this issue if it persists but according to me, it's more of a preventive measure than an issue.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
It does not indicate a fault. There's another thread about it here where I mention the bulletin Volvo has about it and when it will come on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Funny I have been seeing the same thing the past few days here in New Hampshire/Maine and was wondering the same thing. What a useless message to be displayed over and over while driving. For a company that touts it's safety conscious mantra they sure throw a lot of distracting nothing messages at me while I drive. I also got a popup telling me it was downloading a map then another one telling me to leave the car off later so it would finish installing. I have no need to know what it's doing internally, nor can I change it, nor do I care. Why not tell me when the oil temperature rises above 100 degrees, that would be just as useful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Our detached garage here in Colorado gets very hot in the summer when temps go over 90-100F. I’ve noticed a number of times that my T8 will have a fan running randomly when plugged in — even if I haven’t been driving it recently. I’ve always assumed it was doing some kind of cooking.

·
Registered
934 Posts
There are at least 2 radiators in the car, one for the engine and one to warm the air that enters the cabin in the winter.

It is "common" knowledge that you should turn the heating on if your engine is overheating. It diverts coolant to the second radiator and lowers the temperature of the coolant at the expense of your own comfort. The trade-off is that it blows hot air inside the cabin, but you protect the engine.

If you were towing in the Death Valley I would understand it. At 86 Freedom degrees only, I would have it checked before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Our detached garage here in Colorado gets very hot in the summer when temps go over 90-100F. I've noticed a number of times that my T8 will have a fan running randomly when plugged in - even if I haven't been driving it recently. I've always assumed it was doing some kind of cooking.
My T8 engine fan runs randomly when parked even if its not plugged in.
In fact I can leave the car parked for a couple of days and I'll notice the fan running from time to time.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Our detached garage here in Colorado gets very hot in the summer when temps go over 90-100F. I've noticed a number of times that my T8 will have a fan running randomly when plugged in - even if I haven't been driving it recently. I've always assumed it was doing some kind of cooking.
My T8 engine fan runs randomly when parked even if its not plugged in.
In fact I can leave the car parked for a couple of days and I'll notice the fan running from time to time.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
There are at least 2 radiators in the car, one for the engine and one to warm the air that enters the cabin in the winter.

It is "common" knowledge that you should turn the heating on if your engine is overheating. It diverts coolant to the second radiator and lowers the temperature of the coolant at the expense of your own comfort. The trade-off is that it blows hot air inside the cabin, but you protect the engine.

If you were towing in the Death Valley I would understand it. At 86 Freedom degrees only, I would have it checked before the warranty expires.
The cabin heater radiator is so small. If engine is so hot that the big radiator in front is not enough cooling, I would think there is something wrong. For example, why not use a more powerful fan on the big radiator.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
934 Posts
The cabin heater radiator is so small. If engine is so hot that the big radiator in front is not enough cooling, I would think there is something wrong. For example, why not use a more powerful fan on the big radiator.
That's the thing, it is a problem that the normal rad is not able to extract the heat. It might be a blocked radiator, a faulty fan...

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
That's the thing, it is a problem that the normal rad is not able to extract the heat. It might be a blocked radiator, a faulty fan...
No, this has nothing to do with the engine overheating.

For the third time, that message does not indicate a fault.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
From the bulletin:

If the customer reports that the message "Climate system running due to internal cooling" has appeared in the DIM and/or CCD display (see attachment TJ 34850.jpg), this is a normal function of the car, see text under "Service".

This may occur if the customer is driving with the climate control system set to "OFF" during warmer weather conditions (ambient temperature above 68°F/20°C).

Service:
Verify with the customer that the message they have seen matches the image in attachment TJ 34850.jpg.

Please do NOT perform any fault tracing or replace any components due to this message. It is a normal function and does not indicate a fault with the vehicle:

This message appears due to a function called Active Cooling:
If the climate control system in the vehicle is switched OFF during high ambient temperature conditions, the blower fan may need to come on periodically to circulate air behind the dashboard in order to cool down electronic components such as the IHU, DIM, or CCD, when needed.

In some conditions, the blower fan alone may be inadequate to cool the electronics and the Air Conditioning may become active for a short time as well.

This message will appear in the DIM and/or CCD displays to inform the customer when this system is operating. The customer should be advised that this is normal operation.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
From the bulletin:

In some conditions, the blower fan alone may be inadequate to cool the electronics and the Air Conditioning may become active for a short time as well.
Finally see a piece of useful info. Since cooling is needed, why not turn on A/C immediately if it is above 68F/20C. Blowing warm/hot air to passenger at 68F/20C is not normal to me. And there is other times A/C is turned on when temperature is much lower, for defrosting.

Of course, it is better to use Sensus modules that produces less heat. It is essentially a cellphone with some peripherals, could be lower power consumption.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
Tech, why stop them from wildly speculating? It's entertaining.
It is. Until someone brings their car in and wastes my time with it and insists they have a clogged radiator on a new car because that's what the vote decided on Swedespeed. I'd rather avoid that.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Lol, this looks like the other tech that called us all idiots when we were complaining about 2016's draining its batteries, because he thought we didn't understand the conditions for the start/stop to function. At the end of the day, we were all right and there was a clear problem with the car.

We still don't have enough info about the conditions OP was running the car (AC on or off? hot air coming from where?...). What is clear is that a post saying "it is not a problem" doesn't help until the TJ was posted.

I am very happy with my dealership, but I have saved endless hours by pointing them in the right direction with info I found here. If you want to help, great, but please get off your high horse.

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
I didn't call anyone an idiot.

In my very first post here I said there is another post about this where I referenced the bulletin. You were all free to do a search but chose to speculate until I could spoon feed the information here.

You are someone who is relatively active here, as are others. They may post about something and see it through. That's great. But there are people who are not even members who just search Google and print whatever they find and bring that in as if it is proof of something, whether it applies or not. Then argue about it. I've seen it plenty of times. Those are the idiots.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts