SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to have the climate not be on Auto? I was up in the mountains this weekend and it was really cold and the climate was just funky. I feel it has the fan on way to high and is really loud. I would just like to be able to select my own fan speed and temp, is that possible?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yes it's totally possible and very simple. Press the climate icon in the center and it brings up the control screen where you can select where the air will flow, fan speed, AC on/off etc. all the options are right there.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Even on Auto, I find it is best to turn "Off" the A/C in colder temps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is there any way to have the climate not be on Auto? I was up in the mountains this weekend and it was really cold and the climate was just funky. I feel it has the fan on way to high and is really loud. I would just like to be able to select my own fan speed and temp, is that possible?

Thanks,
I have the same issue (i don't think the other post is correct that you can get it out of "auto" by the normal climate interface, though choosing the vent choices seems to do about the same thing a lot of the time, but it still says AUTO on the interface.) I like to have a very low bit of AC coming out most of the time, and have almost never used "auto" on previous cars but seems hard coded into this one.

I will say that when my kids accidentally mess with the rear controls it creates a windstorm, and sometimes that is the cause of the really high fan speeds if the temperature seems like it shouldn't be so high... (and usually takes me a few minutes to realize the issue is back there...)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the same issue (i don't think the other post is correct that you can get it out of "auto" by the normal climate interface, though choosing the vent choices seems to do about the same thing a lot of the time, but it still says AUTO on the interface.) I like to have a very low bit of AC coming out most of the time, and have almost never used "auto" on previous cars but seems hard coded into this one.

I will say that when my kids accidentally mess with the rear controls it creates a windstorm, and sometimes that is the cause of the really high fan speeds if the temperature seems like it shouldn't be so high... (and usually takes me a few minutes to realize the issue is back there...)
I will see if the rear temp fan makes any difference. Lets say I have it set to 70 degrees and the fan set to the lowest possible setting and it is really cold. It will still blow like crazy and when I try to turn Auto off it just gives me the options of Auto 1 and Auto 2.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Unlike every car I have owned with auto climate control before, on this one changing the fan speed is independent of whether it is on auto. So you can reduce the fan speed, for instance, which should reduce the perceived temp, even if its still automatically regulating air overall to a certain temp.

I have noticed that I can press the "auto" button in the climate settings and it toggles on and off but I never thought about this before and have no idea what turning it off would actually accomplish since fan speed is independent of it anyway.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unlike every car I have owned with auto climate control before, on this one changing the fan speed is independent of whether it is on auto. So you can reduce the fan speed, for instance, which should reduce the perceived temp, even if its still automatically regulating air overall to a certain temp.

I have noticed that I can press the "auto" button in the climate settings and it toggles on and off but I never thought about this before and have no idea what turning it off would actually accomplish since fan speed is independent of it anyway.
When I hit Auto temp it just changes to Auto 2. Does yours do that?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I just tried this and yes you can override auto entirely. If you set a zone and a fan speed then the "auto" disappears on the home screen.

Also, if you tap 'auto climate' on the climate screen, it has a different effect than if you press and hold. I believe the tap activates auto zone selection (it will blow out the top if cold air, lowers if heat) and if you press and hold it will do auto everything based on your temperature input.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I just tried this and yes you can override auto entirely. If you set a zone and a fan speed then the "auto" disappears on the home screen.

Also, if you tap 'auto climate' on the climate screen, it has a different effect than if you press and hold. I believe the tap activates auto zone selection (it will blow out the top if cold air, lowers if heat) and if you press and hold it will do auto everything based on your temperature input.
When I adjust the fan speed, auto does not de-activate. It says Auto but shows the fan speed iconically. I would prefer auto controlled the fan speed but can't get it to do so. I haven't tried holding down auto for a long time, so I will try that. when I tap it it toggles color but none of those adjust the fan speed which it still shows independently. And when you change the fan speed, auto remains as it was.

·
Registered
218 Posts
This is also the first car I've had with this kind of a climate system, but I really like it. This is how it works:

AUTO: Automatically sets air temperature and which vents the air comes out of, but you can control the fan speed necessary to get to and maintain that temperature.
MANUAL: By choosing a specific vent in the climate section you can manually control climate (fan speed, temperature and vents)

I like being able to set the fan speed and have it maintain auto climate. Sometimes I'm on a phone call and want a lower fan speed but don't want to drop the auto temperature. Or sometimes it's freezing outside and I can tolerate full fan speed. It's like auto with a bit more control.

In our Odyssey it seems like I'm never satisfied with the fan speed when in Auto (it's either too low or too high) so we end up going to manual a lot. This is the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is also the first car I've had with this kind of a climate system, but I really like it. This is how it works:

MANUAL: By choosing a specific vent in the climate section you can manually control climate (fan speed, temperature and vents)

Ok this is great, can you please explain how to do this? I consider myself to be pretty tech savvy but could not figure how to get to manual. Choosing a specific vent in climate section?

·
Registered
241 Posts

Ok this is great, can you please explain how to do this? I consider myself to be pretty tech savvy but could not figure how to get to manual. Choosing a specific vent in climate section?

I call it The Climate Man...

pressing the "head" portion will activate the vent by the windshield, the "body" for the vent on the dash and finally the "leg" to turn on the vent underneath the dash to cool or heat your legs. You can press those 3 at the same time, any of the 2 combined or just 1 of the vents.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
When I adjust the fan speed, auto does not de-activate. It says Auto but shows the fan speed iconically. I would prefer auto controlled the fan speed but can't get it to do so. I haven't tried holding down auto for a long time, so I will try that. when I tap it it toggles color but none of those adjust the fan speed which it still shows independently. And when you change the fan speed, auto remains as it was.
Yes exactly. If you press and hold, the fan speed indication is gone from the home screen. The seat and fan logo is slightly larger and no bars beneath.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I just played around with this some more. I'm not even sure what the point of the "AUTO Climate" button is, other than to use as an elective alternative to just picking a starting fan speed if you have had the fan off. Auto seems to default to fan speed 3. Otherwise it seems to serve no purpose. Intuitively you would think it operates like it does on all my other cars, where it turns the auto on and off. But there is no true "off" short of turning the fan off completely. Sure you can pick vents (which you could go with an less GUI way in my previous cars too), you can change the fan speed or you can turn off "AC." But as long as the fan is on they all still say "Auto". Wouldn't turning off AC be the equivalent of turning off auto since without active AC it might be capable of reaching the desired temperature?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yes exactly. If you press and hold, the fan speed indication is gone from the home screen. The seat and fan logo is slightly larger and no bars beneath.
All that happened when I pressed and held is it defaulted to fan speed 3 no matter what fan speed it was on before. The screen would briefly show "Auto Fan 3" above the icon of the fan speed then fade away. If I tapped it instead of holding it down, it would instead stay on whatever fan speed it was on before and briefly show "Auto Fan X" with X being whatever speed it was on before fading away. It would not register any permanent difference in the screen or cause the icons to grey out or disappear.

Sometimes when I close the climate screen I have those fan speed bars below Auto and sometime I don't. But either way the climate screen itself would look the same.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I just played around with this some more. I'm not even sure what the point of the "AUTO Climate" button is, other than to use as an elective alternative to just picking a starting fan speed if you have had the fan off. Auto seems to default to fan speed 3. Otherwise it seems to serve no purpose. Intuitively you would think it operates like it does on all my other cars, where it turns the auto on and off. But there is no true "off" short of turning the fan off completely. Sure you can pick vents (which you could go with an less GUI way in my previous cars too), you can change the fan speed or you can turn off "AC." But as long as the fan is on they all still say "Auto". Wouldn't turning off AC be the equivalent of turning off auto since without active AC it might be capable of reaching the desired temperature?
I think the fans are just going to go full bore until they hit the temperature that is selected in AUTO mode. If you lower the temp and the fans do the work to reach the selected climate they stop blowing as hard. AUTO (I think) essentially means you don't get to control anything until the car gets it to the right temp, no? Then the fans kick in when the temp moves on or off the selected setting.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If I select a vent and a fan speed, it doesn't say auto anymore. If I press and hold auto, on the main screen it doesn't show fan speed because it's automatically set. Right now in Nyc it is auto setting to fan speed 3 but I have seen it set to other speed.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If I select a vent and a fan speed, it doesn't say auto anymore. If I press and hold auto, on the main screen it doesn't show fan speed because it's automatically set. Right now in Nyc it is auto setting to fan speed 3 but I have seen it set to other speed.
That's now how it's operating or me. I tried it just before my post. I had someone else in the car and had read your first reply and we both played around with it. Weird.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Is there a setting to permit COOLER air at the face level and WARMER at foot level?
I'm finding that when set to a normal 72-74F that the top level vents are too warm.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I think the fans are just going to go full bore until they hit the temperature that is selected in AUTO mode. If you lower the temp and the fans do the work to reach the selected climate they stop blowing as hard. AUTO (I think) essentially means you don't get to control anything until the car gets it to the right temp, no? Then the fans kick in when the temp moves on or off the selected setting.
That's pretty much how the system works on other Volvos. AUTO means all functions (air conditioning, air distribution/temp, fan speed, recirculation) adapt automatically based on the difference between the actual cabin and set temps, engine temp, and sunlight intensity/direction. If you adjust fan speed or air distribution, that function is placed under manual control while the other functions remain on automatic, but the AUTO indicator goes off.

Press the AUTO button to revert to full automatic control and the indicator goes on. Press AUTO again, the indicator goes off and the system maintains constant fan speed, air distribution and recirculation until they are adjusted manually. Cabin temperature is always regulated automatically as long as the fan is ON and AC is ON when cooling is required. You can also set the range of AUTO fan speed adaptation in SENSUS Settings - low, normal or high.

On the XC90, the fan speed adaption range is moved from Settings to the AUTO button. The range (level) changes depending on how long the button is pressed. If the level is not initially at the default level 3, a long press of the AUTO button returns to the default. Otherwise, I expect the system works the same way.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts