SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

in the process of replacing one of the bulbs on the back of the climate control unit I short the contacts of one of the bulbs while the lights were on. Yes, **** happens especially when working late at night.
As a result the lights went off and a burnt smell came from the unit.
I tested and the unit functions normally and the other lights (on the unit buttons) are working fine. The only damage is the 6 bulbs that no longer turn on.

Question: is there a fuse that might have blown or I just have to live w/o lights unless I buy a new unit?

Thanks

·
Registered
329 Posts
Being that blown fuses don't typically produce any burning smells, I'm afraid you may have fried the lighting circuit inside your HVAC control head. I doubt there is a seperate fuse just for the lighting circuit, and since your other functions are working it would seem you'll either have to do without lights or buy a new/used unit. You might check strandberg auto to see how much a used one would be, or Tasca parts for a factory new one. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link. Trouble is that it has a broken button and not sure if that can be replaced with the one from my unit.
There are quite a few used in UK. Even with shipping it is better than a new one (MSRP $900, TASCA $690).

Does anyone know if changing it requires a dealer trip to pair it with the car?

There is also the question of different buttons on the replacement unit. My car does not have heated seats but all the replacements have the buttons. Also most of the replacements come with different buttons on the switch panel. Mine comes only with DTSC. Will those differences require a trip to the dealer to deactivate features in the panel, or will they throw codes? Can I just remove the extra buttons and replace the heated seats buttons with he blank from the old unit?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
It's been a while since I disassembled my CCM but last I recall, each button was removable and replaceable. I don't know if adding in/removing a button that was blank will work or not.

The buttons on the lower switch panel are a little different because they aren't just buttons, they have tiny circuit boards built in, indicating to me that you shouldn't need a dealer visit. Worst thing you could do is set off the SRS light, so just make sure to disconnect the battery (this time!)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm searching for a cheap module and hopefully I can find one that matches. So far what I got is that the one with heated seats will not work for my car. Still not clear about the bottom buttons.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts