SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for making this a new thread, rather than attaching it to the existing one, but it's looking like it might be of broader interest to folks and people might not see it buried in the previous thread.<p>I wrote a few days ago about a problem with the damper servos on the climate control system on my V50 (under some conditions, the servos constantly cycle open and closed). Well, it's been kicked up to the senior technicians at Volvo N.A., and they've brought in a corporate technician from New Jersey to look at the car. Supposedly, they're in touch with engineers in Sweden. Everyone who looks at the car says everything looks great mechanically, other than the fact that it's not working properly.<p>In other words, this is not looking like a mechanical breakdown so much as a fundamental defect in the car's hardware or software, possibly something that will arise in all V50s sooner or later, and you may see a service bulletin on the issue.<p>Ah, the joys of being an index patient . . .<p>Thanks for the chance to, er, vent.<p>Dave<p>

·
Registered
84 Posts
Keep us updated Dave. I think I might be having the same problem with s40 too. about ever 2 or 3 seconds I can here one of the servos cycle. I might try to get it in next week and get it looked at.<br>-Jason

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Climate control--the saga continues (DavidR)

Just a quick update. The fault trace and damper motor recalibration did not fix the problem, so Volvo told my dealer to install a new damper motor. Supposedly this is an involved, expensive process entailing removing the entire dashboard. I'm waiting on the motor to arrive and will repost as to whether or not it does the trick. <p>I've heard of four people (including me, the other members who have posted here, and a senior Volvo technician) whose cars are exhibiting the same behavior. <p>Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts

Add me to the list. The servos on my '06 s40's A/C system open/close vents about every 3 seconds. It's annoying. My temp work-around is to pump the volume on the sound system, but it'll be interesting to know if they succeed in fixing the problem on your vehicle. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Guess what? I have the same problem too. <br>In my case it only happens when the air control is turned off.<br>I thought it was a Volvo thing and it did this opening and closing vents to keep air circulating. I guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I took my 2006 S40 into the dealer for this problem too. They kept it for a week so they could remove the dashboard and install the new damper motor. It seemed to fix the problem for about a week and then it gradually got back to the point/noise level it was when I took it in. I have only about 900 miles until my 7500 service so I'll get them to get it fixed then.<p>The noise occurs when the air conditioner is on or off.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: Climate control--the saga continues (jaysonlf)

This certainly sounds like a CCM recalibration cycle, which was a problem in an intermediate software update that was released with the early 2006's. It is a fixed problem, I got the bad software as an update for my 05, and a second (corrected) update fixed it.<p>Ask the service adviser to check for a climate control TNN. I received CCM software 30667207, which fixed it. Not sure of the TNN # though.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sounded like a software thing to me, but both the dealer techs and the Volvo tech checked and said that I have the latest build of the software.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Climate control--the saga continues (tmtalpey)

I pulled out my paperwork and they thought it was the calibration cycles too. They tried recalibrating and that didn't work so they replaced the motors. The also updated the CCM to 30667207. That update did fix a problem with the a/c blowing at high speed intermittently (which may have also been related to faulty motor).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Climate control--the saga continues (jaysonlf)

Resolution at last! Sort of.<p>The dealer ended up replacing the car entirely.<p>It took the dealer three days to remove the dash and replace the damper motors. I guess they should have taken more time, though, since when they re-installed the dashboard, the car wouldn't start. At that point, I requested and received a new V50 to replace the dead one in the dealer's repair bay. <p>The new one's climate control system seems fine. Even when the old car's CCS was working fine, it was still loud (i.e., I could hear servos whining). This car's CCS is silent, leading me to believe that the whole CCS on my first V50 was glitchy from the start.<p>For those of you experiencing the same damper motor cycling, I'm sorry I can't say if replacing the motors fixed the problem. <p>And while I'm thinking about it, can anyone in metro Washington DC recommend a good Volvo dealer service department?<p>David<p>

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well thats one way to get the problem fixed. Well I fixed the servo cycling every few seconds on my car. I turned off the Timer controlled recirculation of the air in the passenger compartment and the noise went away! There is an option for it in the climate control menu in the car. <br>-Jason

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hoping to buy one of these cars tonite, what exactly am i looking for? i want to make shure the one im buying doesnt have this problem from the get go. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>DavidR</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Resolution at last! Sort of.<p>The dealer ended up replacing the car entirely.<p>It took the dealer three days to remove the dash and replace the damper motors. I guess they should have taken more time, though, since when they re-installed the dashboard, the car wouldn't start. At that point, I requested and received a new V50 to replace the dead one in the dealer's repair bay. <p>David</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Jeez... imagine what would happen after warranty! <p>Volvo: "Yeah... we've run in some trouble with the damper motors and we're gonna need to order a new part."<br>You: "OK... how much will it cost?"<br>Volvo: "Let's see... (thumbing through some papers) $30,490."<br>You: "Excuse me?"<br>Volvo: "Yup, $30,490. MSRP for a V50 with the options you have on that now. It will be a month or so before we get the new part. So if you could go over to that window with this bill, the cashier will take care of the rest."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Climate control--the saga continues (eurotrash)

How to tell if the dampers are a problem?<p>I didn't realize how much extra noise the defective dampers were making until I got the replacement car. I heard a lot of servo action whenever the climate control was on--it was quite noticable even over the fan noise. You really shouldn't hear much out of properly functioning dampers.<p>From what I experienced, the problem is most likely to crop up when the automatic system is trying to cool the car quickly. Try a car that's been sitting out in the sun for a while. Set the climate control to auto, dial the temperature down low, and listen for the servos whining or the air flow blowing hard through the front windshield vents, then not, and so on ad nauseum.<p>Dave<p>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts