SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 C70

Center dial of climate control set to "AUT".

Fan speed slider set to "AUT" or "O".

Outside air button selected and green light illuminated.

A/C is either on or off, depending on fan speed slider position.

When I start the car, the amber lights on the recirculate air button and the A/C off button blink simultaneously for about fifteen seconds.

Either this has been going on for twelve years and I never noticed it, or this is some sort of error indication.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ECC

Some research suggests this is an Electronic Climate Control (ECC) system error code, something that can't be read by an OBDII reader - requires a special scan tool. Can someone confirm?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Some research suggests this is an Electronic Climate Control (ECC) system error code, something that can't be read by an OBDII reader - requires a special scan tool. Can someone confirm?
Yes, that's true. My 98 does that sometimes, usually when the outside temp is 30 to 50 F. Then it works fine for months. When it's in that mode you can still get heat or cooling by going into manual mode. If you leave it in auto you get cold in the winter. I have owned this car since new. It started way back when I used to do dealer service. They told me they read the codes and it indicated some sort of fault which they reset. Now when it does it, I just ingnore it because it works more often than it blinks.

Rich

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read about this fix and it seems to have worked for me. Next to the rear window and outside mirror defrost activation switch, there is an insert with grills in the lower half. Inside is a small fan that draws in cabin air across a temp probe. Dust accumulates on the fan and it stops rotating, thus causing the error indication. I popped the insert off (there are two outwardly biased clips about 1/3 of the way from the top) by running a knife blade along one edge and prying inwardly. Then I used tweezers to pull out the spider's nest and other dust. The fan then spun freely and the error indication went away. Note that due to aging eyesight I may have dislodged the temp probe, mistaking it for a large dog-hair. Oops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts