SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 S60R 198k
Bought the car about a week ago and the climate control fan came on one night and has yet to turn off. I have been removing the climate control fan fuse to prevent the battery from dieing. This is NOT the after blow function and the blower motor is running continuously. After plugging the car in, It says the air quality sensor is toast, but I dont understand the relation to constant power to the blower motor. Right now I have the air quality sensor out, along with the blower motor and power unit (power stage/resistor)

Is it possible to test these parts to rule them out, or does it appear that they all need to be replaced? I have been googleing for a few days now, and I have been incapable of locating any answers on how to test the parts or locate the fault. I suppose i could replace the blower and resistor, but want to make sure that is the definite issue before i drop the $300+ Also there are no codes other then the air quality sensor fault, and the only way to turn the fan off is pulling the fuse. Could it be a programming issue?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
If fan runs ok, I would not replace it. You could measure current draw which as I recall is about 8 amps.
Your description indicates the controller.
AQ is not the issue.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I took my blower motor out to lube bushings as it had an occasional noisey spell when I would hit a bump or take a corner fast. I tapped the swaged areas that lock the end cap with brushes in order to slide the armature out. The brushes have very little left. I did lube it and re-assemble and that did fix the noise. I know that I need a fan soon though as the brushes will not go much longer before the springs hit the stops and the motor will quit working. My car has 185K miles on it.
With 200K I'd replace the motor also. You have to remove it to change the power unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so these symptoms of continuous running are consistent with the power unit? Is that what is meant by the controller? If so, yes i will most likely replace both the blower motor and the power unit as the car does have 200k on it. The motor has rusty bearings are what not, so i wont be putting that back in there, as i truely dont want to take it all apart again.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Yes power unit and the controller are the same thing use part numbers in the linked thread and replace the power unit and blower motor and you will be done with the issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts