SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also checking out an 09 S80 T6 at this dealer.

Do the RDs come with different standard equipment than the regular version? It looks in excellent condition and is certified. Anything I should pay special attention to in the RD?

Thanks
Jacob

·
Registered
564 Posts
That S80 has a more satisfying engine...

R-Designs have the same standard equipment, bar the visible differences, i.e. sport seats with differently-trimmed leather; wheels; side "skirts", valences, and exhaust tips; roof rack delete (some of them); blue-faced gauges; and firmer suspension.

R-Design models have no engine/transmission upgrades, nor do they have any unique issues that standard models don't have already.

Good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. We just got back from driving both cars. My wife was not at all impressed with the S80. Thought it was too small.

She liked the XC90 better and I was surprised how comfy it was even with the larger wheels and tighter suspension. She did comment that she thought it was too slow. I see both sides of the argument on the 3.2s characteristics now after driving it. It moves well enough from a stop but sounds very stressed when you floor it and the acceleration is underwhelming. On the other hand it's very smooth and quiet and it's not like it can't get out of it's own way. Another 50 hp would do wonders for it in the XC90. This one had nearly 60000 miles and a few dings here and there but overall it was nice. She hated the red color though. I like it but have to admit it's very bright and on a bigger vehicle like this it can be a little over the top in my opinion.

It's hard to say what we'll do from here. In a month my current car will be with its new owner so we have to get something soon. I don't want to rush into anything but time is of the essence now. If I'm keeping the car for five years, I want to make the right decision.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You might want to consider looking for an R-design with a V8. I think that you could still get a V8 in a 2009, but I am not positive. I know that I was looking at a used/CPO R-design with a v8 versus a new 2011 R-design 3.2. The power difference was not enough to sway me. The 3.2 is good enough, and when I want to drive faster or feel more power, I drive my car design for power and speed - a BMW putting down 340 hp at the wheels.

·
Registered
564 Posts
@JKPA01: That's how I saw the Passion Red at first, then it grew on me with time...it'll certainly stand out, if nothing else. :cool:

The 3.2 in particular has been very solid in terms of reliability (V8's are showing some signs of transmission wear, but that's fairly sporadic at this point), so as a car you plan to keep for the relatively long-term, I expect it will satisfy.

Regardless, it's always pertinent to do a history check before you sign the dotted line, in the case that this particular XC90 has been through some not-too-pleasant experiences. :eek:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m slightly concerned – I basically have a little more than a week to find a car now. That sort of time crunch leads to rushed decisions and compromises.
More questions:
Is Bluetooth optional only? The 09 we looked at seemed be fairly bare bones as far as options go. No navigation or upgraded stereo and it doesn’t have the upgraded handling which I don’t want anyway. My wife commented that the controls for the stereo and stereo itself look archaic . I’m hoping there are good replacement options – perhaps a nice touch screen navi with integrated Bluetooth? My 8 year old Dodge has an awesome Bluetooth system called Uconnect and I’d hate to lose that feature. Suggestions on this would be great!
If we’re buying a car that’s Certified (which I almost certainly will be doing) will I be married to the dealer as far as basic maintenance goes? Like oil changes, brake jobs and the like or can I use an independent shop and just make sure I keep all receipts for oil changes for example?
The S80 we tested had a USB port and AUX jack in the center console but I only saw the AUX jack in the XC90’s console. What are my options for iPOD/iPhone hook up and can I control the music with the steering wheel controls?
I’m sure I’ll have more questions and I really hope I can find “the one” sometime this week or early next week. I’m starting to feel a little stressed because all of a sudden my Magnum had a deposit on it and here we are. After over a year researching pretty much any car and SUV you can think of for our next daily driver, we now have to make a decision very quickly. Not loving that at all.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The USB cord in my 11 XC90 is in the glove box, so you can check that for the Ipod/usb drive hook up. You can control that stuff with the wheel.

AFAIK - All R-Design XC90s have the "upgraded" suspension. As for the bluetooth, mine was built in also. Look on the steering wheel for the green/red phone buttons. It all runs thru the radio on mine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 2011 has integrated Bluetooth, but I have seen retrofit kits for older Volvos. I cannot say if the 2009 had it. I find Bluetooth indispensable, but annoyed at the location of the microphone to the left of the driver. In my BMW, the microphone is more centrally located, and it is easier for the passenger to be heard.

I regards to the stereo, mine looks a little Spartan, but it works great. Sure, higher resolution would be nicer, but I do not have a touchscreen nav. USB is in the glove box, and you will need you iPod cable to fully control iPods.

If you are thinking that the suspension is not upgraded, just test drive a 2009 V8 without R-Design.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes I know the suspension is different. What I meant was it doesn't have the Dynamic package with bigger wheels etc.

I think these are the options for 09:

Dynamic Package which adds bi-xenon headlights with active light bending and 255/45R20 tires on 20-inch wheels.

Options include the Climate Package with heated front seats, headlight washers, rain-sensing wipers, humidity sensor and an Interior Air Quality System.

Multimedia Package upgrades to HDD navigation with real-time traffic, remote control and map care, the Dynaudio Premium sound system featuring Dolby Pro Logic II Surround Sound, and Sirius Satellite Radio.

The one I looked at had moonroof and heated seats so Climate Package only.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Gotcha. I would have liked the HID lights, but I think that 19" is about as large as I like to go on the RDesign for comfort and ability to handle potholes and bumps. My wife is the primary driver, and she hates driving the BMW because it is on 19s and has gone through 3 tires and 3 rims because of pothole damage. But, everyone is different and has their own thresholds.

Also, the dealer had a Passion Red en route without Dynamic Package, so 2 weeks versus 3 months wait made the decision very easy. If the HID headlights were available separately from the 20s, we would have waited.

We have the upgraded stereo and the nav, very nice, but would have liked a separate subwoofer. Remote control is still in the box.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did like how it drove. It was more like a car and it handled well I thought.

Can anyone shed more light on the warranty question in the above post as far as what I can and cannot do outside of the dealer and still keep the warranty active?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Can't speak from experience, but my guess is that you'll have to do any larger services at a Volvo dealer. I'd assume you can get away with having small things like oil changes, tire rotations, etc. done with an independent mechanic.

All R-Designs have the same suspension, regardless of wheel choice.

W/ respect to the audio system, here's how it goes: all 2007+ XC90's have an AUX port. From '09 onwards, you had the option of a glove-box-mounted USB port or a 6-CD changer. I went with the former, but many came equipped with the latter. You can't have both, since they plug into the same port in the HU (just like an aftermarket iPod adapter plugs into the space an external CD changer would). Whichever system you have, you can control it 100% with the steering wheel buttons.

There is no factory touchscreen variant for XC90's. For that, you have to go the aftermarket route. A separate subwoofer is available as an accessory, but only for five-passenger models.

Bluetooth: later XC90's (I believe from 2011 onwards) have an integrated Bluetooth system (i.e. it's in the head unit already). All those before have to make do with an external Motorola unit that mounts in the same place where the start button was in that S80 you drove. This Bluetooth unit is available as a Volvo accessory - the very same unit that would have come from the factory back then.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spasoje,

Excellent info. Thanks for that.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Bluetooth:
Look for the small circle speaker in the headliner just in front of the sun visor on the driver's side - that will give a visual that bluetooth is included. The head unit may also have a Phone button on the right side.

CPO:
You may need to produce documentation that factory recommended maintenance was performed, but these services do not have to be done at a Volvo dealer. Most modern shops have a computer system that can generate a report for you. CPO repairs must be done at a Volvo dealer, emergency situations at a non-Volvo shop would be evaluated for refund.

There is a 2008 Electric Silver V8 Sport (pre R-Design name) with 46k miles, CPO at Stadel Volvo in Eastpetersburg, PA: http://www.stadelvolvo.com/certified/Volvo/2008-Volvo-XC90-38bac76d0a0d064900a59c12dc1a5679.htm

I owned a 2007 V8 Sport and it is a fun setup and the V8 moves the XC unlike the 3.2 (although it tries), fuel economy is very similar between the two motors.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Three XC90 models I'm looking at:

08 3.2 AWD. CPO. 30000 miles. $27k
09 3.2 RD AWD. CPO. 60000 miles. $25k
09 3.2 RD AWD. CPO. 40000 miles. $28k

What's the better buy?

More money for 20000 less miles for the RDs or the low mileage vehicle that's one year older?

60000 miles is a lot IMO for an 09 but the price is attractive. Tough one.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Just by looking at these "quick stats", number three ('09 w/ 40k) seems like the best balance... The 60k one is the cheapest, but it's only a small amount of dollars more for either of the two which have significantly less wear.

But more importantly, how do each of them fit your priorities? Do any of the 09's have the USB port? Do you favor the R-D over the regular one, or is it "either-or?"

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I favor the RD models but my wife is not in love with the red color. She will look past that for the right deal. The 40k miles one has Bluetooth which the 60k mile XC does not and its interior is a lighter color (looks white?) which she prefers but there is zero negotiating room on the price per the dealer. It does have BLIS which the 60k mile one doesn't. (at least I didn't notice when I drove it).

I dot know if either has the USB port or 6 disc changer.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
I'd lean toward the '09 RD w/ 40k. The slight RD enhancements to the suspension and more supportive seats, sport steering wheel, etc make for a more enjoyable driving experience (imho) and it has 20k less miles. Having bluetooth already integrate is a plus.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Tires at 7 mm. New is 10 mm
Brakes F 7 mm, R 7 mm. New is 10 mm

Per the dealer re current tire and brake wear

Is that correct?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Three XC90 models I'm looking at:

08 3.2 AWD. CPO. 30000 miles. $27k
09 3.2 RD AWD. CPO. 60000 miles. $25k
09 3.2 RD AWD. CPO. 40000 miles. $28k

What's the better buy?

More money for 20000 less miles for the RDs or the low mileage vehicle that's one year older?

60000 miles is a lot IMO for an 09 but the price is attractive. Tough one.
The 09 RD with 60k seems fairly priced (assuming RD is worth $2500ish which is more than I'd pay for cosmetics but might for tighter suspension). The others seem high to me, especially in the NY metro area. I bought our 2008 3.2 CPO AWD with 45k miles for $23k out on Long Island last November; I'd say 15k fewer miles 9 months on is only worth $2k max.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts