SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

My 2015 S60 RD w/P* with 46k has an annoying issue I can't seem to figure out. When I brake while turning (either direction) at lower speeds (less than 15 mph) I hear a very audible click (sometimes multiple) from the engine bay. At first I thought maybe it was a brake pad shifting in the caliper, but it is definitely higher up and under the hood somewhere and it comes from both sides. It only happens when braking AND turning.

It's been doing it for a while, but is becoming more consistent (and annoying!). While it is covered under CPO, I like to have an idea of where to point the tech if I bring it in. Last time I was there, he inspected the brakes and saw nothing. Could it be something in the steering rack? Worn mounts? The fact that it happens when turning/braking in either direction makes me think rack? It definitely does not do it if I am going straight and braking.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
753 Posts
My guess (for what it’s worth) is a broken strut mount. I can only hear mine also only at lower speeds around 5 mph such as when turning the wheel to get out of the driveway or into a parking spot or turning at a low speed.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess (for what it’s worth) is a broken strut mount. I can only hear mine also only at lower speeds around 5 mph such as when turning the wheel to get out of the driveway or into a parking spot or turning at a low speed.
Thanks, but there is no sound if I'm just plain turning (no braking) - wouldn't a strut mount make a sound all the time regardless of braking/not braking?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Thanks, but there is no sound if I'm just plain turning (no braking) - wouldn't a strut mount make a sound all the time regardless of braking/not braking?
Don't know, but mine makes that type of "clickety-clack" sound. Have left mine alone as form what I've heard if mine is a broken strut mount, it's not a danger..just annoying to hear...but true, only at low speed.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know, but mine makes that type of "clickety-clack" sound. Have left mine alone as form what I've heard if mine is a broken strut mount, it's not a danger..just annoying to hear...but true, only at low speed.
I'll keep this in mind. I have plenty of CPO time left, so I'm getting this fixed!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mine was a bent rotor dust hat. Also made an occasional screech. Screwdriver through the wheel to massage it back.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine was a bent rotor dust hat. Also made an occasional screech. Screwdriver through the wheel to massage it back.
This is a click, not a screech. I know what that sounds like, though!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'll keep this in mind. I have plenty of CPO time left, so I'm getting this fixed!
I, too, have the same noise and it's mostly audible only when backing up and turning slowly. I had assumed it was the strut mount as well because I believe it's a common issue for our cars.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I, too, have the same noise and it's mostly audible only when backing up and turning slowly. I had assumed it was the strut mount as well because I believe it's a common issue for our cars.
Maybe it is the mount, then. I'll likely live with it for now and get them replaced closer to the end of CPO to extend the life of the part once out of warranty.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Could this also potentially be a CV joint showing signs of failure under strain? No braking: not enough strain - Braking: enough to click. Unless I'm assuming the clicking sound is continuous, and it's actually just a single click.

'15 V60 T5 FWD | Savile Gray

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could this also potentially be a CV joint showing signs of failure under strain? No braking: not enough strain - Braking: enough to click. Unless I'm assuming the clicking sound is continuous, and it's actually just a single click.

'15 V60 T5 FWD | Savile Gray
It's just a single click, sometimes two, and from both sides. I'm starting to think maybe strut mounts, because it does sound higher up in the engine bay area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts