SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

2005 XC90 T5 AWD.

Yesterday I heard a clicking sound in the front of the vehicle. The engine was running and in park. When gently pressing the accelerator a clicking sound would occur and then stop.
At idle there is no clicking. It happens immediately after pressing the gas and then goes away when the RPM's increase from idle. Meaning it is only at low RPM's just above idle.
Went for a drive and turned it off. It seamed to have gone away. Then after a couple hours went to the store and heard it again same as before, not worse or better.
I believe it is coming from the front right side, around the headlight area.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
S.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, but no. With the vehicle in park and stationary I don't see how a noise could even be made from the hub/CV/suspension etc...

"At idle there is no clicking. It happens immediately after pressing the gas and then goes away when the RPM's increase from idle. Meaning it is only at low RPM's just above idle."

The vehicle is not moving. It also happens in gear but only for the first second of acceleration and de-acceleration.

And it is not coming from the suspension/axle.

The clicking sound is similar to the sound the Predator (Sci-Fi Movie) makes

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,359 Posts
How many miles on the XC90? More info and maintenance?

Sounds of clicking and clicking-like can be from many different places of the engine. It could be oil-related (too heavy weight, too light, age), oil pressure (valve train), could be variable valve timing, could be a leaking gasket that expands with heat (thus you don't hear it when warm), could be a misfire which is masked by rpms, could be misfire due to spark plugs and/or coils, could be an exhaust leak, could be one of the auxiliary systems like A/C or Alternator, etc.

Have you even stuck your head there to see where in the engine bay it is coming from? Helping with what appears like an engine issue without opening the hood makes things difficult. Please do some more investigation and come back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you ChitownV.

The sound is coming from the front of the engine bay behind the passenger side headlight. Even with my head in there I could not locate exactly what is making the noise.
It only happens briefly at 1K RPM when stepping on the gas and only for 1-2 seconds.

It happens hot or cold.
I had the strut assemblies replaced in June with an alignment.
I changed the oil about 2 months ago with Pennzoil full synthetic 5W-30 and topped it off right before this happened.
188,000 miles.

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,359 Posts
My question is why you had to top off the oil. Knowing what happened before an incident occurred helps in this situation.

You might need to remove the plastic timing cover to inspect for any oil leak, VVT leaks, belt tensioner status, etc. There are a bunch of moving parts in the front of that engine (passenger side) and removing the timing cover gives better views and I bet better chance of narrowing the location of the noise.

BTW, the only Pennzoil 5W-30 I would put in the 2.5t engine is the Platinum Euro version (not "Euro L"). Platinum Euro is thicker and has an A3/B3 rating to better protect the engine and hot turbo bearings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for oil the info.

I don't know where the oil is going but it isn't dripping onto the ground

·
Registered
2008 XC90 3.2
1,359 Posts
The 2.5t is known to burn oil. So you have to find the right oil and weight that fits you. That is why if you are set on using Pennzoil 5W-30, then use the Platinum Euro version since it is a thicker 5W-30 to better handle the turbo and consumption issue. You can search for the difference in viscosities yourself on Pennzoil's website and datasheets.

Since you hear a clicking, it is very important to open up the plastic timing cover to inspect. If it is a leaking oil condition, it should be fixed sooner rather than later. If it is a timing belt tensioner issue, then it should be replaced ASAP. If it is an alternator bearing, then it should be replaced ASAP. See where this is going?

If it is the A/C compressor clutch that is going haywire, then that can wait, but the rest of the urgent parts have to be ruled out. If it is the A/C compressor relay, then that is urgent because it is possible it could keep charge to the compressor clutch even if the vehicle is off, draining the battery.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
PCV ever been serviced and if yes, when and to what extent?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts