SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last month or so I’ve had this inconsistent but highly annoying clicking or popping sound coming from inside my drivers seats. I can tell it’s inside because I can somewhat feel it. I’m pretty sure it’s the back part of the seat. It happens on smooth and bumpy roads but again, at random. It’s pretty loud. I can sometimes make it pop/click just by pressing into the seats and it will do it 4 or 5 times and then stop. I can’t always make it happen though. The dealership had my car for two days and drove it but never heard anything. I can hear it every time I drive the car. I played with the lumbar prior to this starting but I’ve since turned that off. I’ve tried repositioning my seats, not leaning back on it but no luck.

I was told there was really nothing else that could be done. They didn’t want to open the seat because it could make things worse. I really hate going back in again because it feels like it’s just me who hears it. It’s annoying for sure. Does anyone else have this sound? It’s like a piece of plastic being tapped or snapped.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
For the last month or so I’ve had this inconsistent but highly annoying clicking or popping sound coming from inside my drivers seats. I can tell it’s inside because I can somewhat feel it. I’m pretty sure it’s the back part of the seat. It happens on smooth and bumpy roads but again, at random. It’s pretty loud. I can sometimes make it pop/click just by pressing into the seats and it will do it 4 or 5 times and then stop. I can’t always make it happen though. The dealership had my car for two days and drove it but never heard anything. I can hear it every time I drive the car. I played with the lumbar prior to this starting but I’ve since turned that off. I’ve tried repositioning my seats, not leaning back on it but no luck.

I was told there was really nothing else that could be done. They didn’t want to open the seat because it could make things worse. I really hate going back in again because it feels like it’s just me who hears it. It’s annoying for sure. Does anyone else have this sound? It’s like a piece of plastic being tapped or snapped.
Why not take it back and ask the Service Mgr or tech to ride along with you. If you know how to force the noise you can do that with him/her in the car. I've had Service Mgrs and Techs on ride-alongs and both times they were able to isolate the noise and then fix it.

Sometimes it takes multiple trips to service before they take you seriously.

C

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but my drivers seat slightly moved, but not 100% of the time. It did not make any kind of noise though. The dealer was able to replicate the random movement and they found bushings in the seat frame were worn and needed replaced (XC40 was 12 months old). They replaced the seat frame and attaching bolts. I haven't had a problem since. This was fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Text Font Document Paper

I had what sounds like the same issue. Clicking and popping in the backrest portion of the seat. It was driving me crazy. It felt like it was just above the lumbar area. The service advisor told me it's actually pretty easy to open the seat from the back. Here's a shot of my service paperwork. I'd show it to your service department.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven’t posted in a while but I am still having this problem. It’s very random and has nothing to do with rough roads/bumps....it can happen the entire drive, or just a few times...sometimes very loud and other times I can feel it but the sound is low. I believe it started when one day I decided to use the lumbar for the first time. ... I kind of wish I never messed with it now.

I have not been back yet for service because I need my car but I’m thinking maybe another dealership may be able to assist if that’s possible? My dealership drove it for 2 days and claimed not to hear it at all. The last time I went for a ride with the foreman there was so much traffic we could barely move. It’d be great if they could ride to work with me but that’s asking to much. It’s definitely the back of the seat and I can only force the sound once it starts (and that’s only sometimes). I believe they need to open the seat and find out what’s loose. The seat does not move or slide but something is obviously wrong.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem Solved!!! Took it to another dealer, went for a ride with the tech, he heard it immediately and after waiting a couple of hours it was fixed! It's been a week and so far so good. There were two screws missing but they also used some materials keep things from clicking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why do some dealerships fight doing warranty work so much? I’m about to take mine in for clicking also. Just a few months old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts