SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've developed a kinda clicking noise that seems to be coming from the front driver's side of the car on acceleration and deceleration, but ONLY when I'm on the gas engine. It doesn't happen at all when I'm on electric power.

At first I thought it might have been suspension loading and unloading, but now that I noticed it doesn't happen on electric I'm thinking that it might be something to do with the motor or transmission mounts?

Has anybody had something like this happen? The T8 has 35,000 miles on it, but it seems a bit soon for something like that to be wearing out.

If I accelerate, I'll hear the click. The car can go up through the gears without doing it again until I decelerate, at which point I'll hear the click again.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Is it when you're on ACC, or when you're operating the gas pedal yourself?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it when you're on ACC, or when you're operating the gas pedal yourself?
When I'm driving myself. So it's not the ACC controls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had the same clicking noise like you mention for about a year. It is coming from the left side, not sure front or rear. I have tried to locate it myself, may be from the rear seat or it might be the door panel. The tech did not be able to find the source as well.

Until last month that I found this TJ :
Left engine pad click sound
Item:TJ33442.5.0-2018-07-27

Last week I brought my T8 to dealer for annual service and just informed them that I assumed that my clicking likely to be relate to this TJ. They agreed.

Yesterday I got the T8 back with no clicking sound anymore:partywave:

FYI :

TJ33442.5.0-2018-07-27

Customer Symptom Codes
- Complete vehicle/Unusual noise/During acceleration
- Driving/Unusual noise/During acceleration

DESCRIPTION:
*Video with click sound from drive shaft attached.
Make sure that the sound is coming from the engine pad, NOT from the drive shaft. This is a different sound.
If the vehicle has a click sound from the left engine pad, follow the advice under “Service”. Torque for small screw is 8 nm.

SERVICE:
Remove the left engine pad and split by removing the small screw. Lubricate with graphite grease (PN 1161851) or Wurth PN0890921284 (AL1100 aluminum paste) on points as in attachment. Torque for small screw is 8 nm.

Reactions: TheWhiteWhale

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have had the same clicking noise like you mention for about a year. It is coming from the left side, not sure front or rear. I have tried to locate it myself, may be from the rear seat or it might be the door panel. The tech did not be able to find the source as well.
When you say left side, do you mean the driver's side (for LHD)? Or the left side looking at the hood of the car, which is the passenger side (for LHD)?

·
Registered
43 Posts
When you say left side, do you mean the driver's side (for LHD)? Or the left side looking at the hood of the car, which is the passenger side (for LHD)?
Mine is RHD. The noise came from passenger side.

The tech has explained to me that this engine pad is on the left side of the car and they need to remove the IGM to assess the thing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've developed a kinda clicking noise that seems to be coming from the front driver's side of the car on acceleration and deceleration, but ONLY when I'm on the gas engine. It doesn't happen at all when I'm on electric power.

At first I thought it might have been suspension loading and unloading, but now that I noticed it doesn't happen on electric I'm thinking that it might be something to do with the motor or transmission mounts?

Has anybody had something like this happen? The T8 has 35,000 miles on it, but it seems a bit soon for something like that to be wearing out.

If I accelerate, I'll hear the click. The car can go up through the gears without doing it again until I decelerate, at which point I'll hear the click again.
I had this issue on my 2016. It took them 35 days to diagnose and it ended up being a motor mount. That XC90 was bought back by Volvo and now my 2018 had developed the same noise. At least I can point them in the right direction this time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had this issue on my 2016. It took them 35 days to diagnose and it ended up being a motor mount. That XC90 was bought back by Volvo and now my 2018 had developed the same noise. At least I can point them in the right direction this time.
Well mine is now back in service for a third time for this issue. I have switched dealers since the first one failed twice to fix it. I had a tech ride with me yesterday to hear the noise and he said he would just go ahead and replace it. I'm verging on a month of the car being out of service. Did they ever replace yours or was the vehicle bought back before that happened? I love the car, hate that this hasn't been fixed yet, and would appreciate your input on how you had the end result being a buyback

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well mine is now back in service for a third time for this issue. I have switched dealers since the first one failed twice to fix it. I had a tech ride with me yesterday to hear the noise and he said he would just go ahead and replace it. I'm verging on a month of the car being out of service. Did they ever replace yours or was the vehicle bought back before that happened? I love the car, hate that this hasn't been fixed yet, and would appreciate your input on how you had the end result being a buyback
This issue on my 2016 XC90 is the reason for the buy back. The car was in and out of their shop prior to this for various other issues, which helped my buy back case. It was at the dealership for 35 days for this issue with no solution. Around day 25 I informed them that they had to either figure this out within the next couple of days or I would start the lemon law process or they needed to present me with a buy back offer. I detailed all the times that it was in their shop and sent that to the GM and Service manager at the dealership. You will have to open a case with Volvo customer care. I think this was a necessary step as the dealership can't make the buy back decision, Volvo has to. But ultimately Volvo customer care wasn't the big help for me. The dealership was really an advocate for me and went to bat for me with Volvo. This has made me a customer for life with this dealership.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Why did the motor mount issue create a buy back situation? Seems like a motor mount issue should be easy enough to fix? Unless a design flaw? I have the same issue in a 2018. Dealership tried to pinpoint but could not. It is on accel. Deccel. but also over hard bumps.

When i bring in for the 10k I will ask them to review/fix motor mount / engine pad. Did this get resolved for anyone who brought it in knowing the issue? Or is this a never ending problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why did the motor mount issue create a buy back situation? Seems like a motor mount issue should be easy enough to fix? Unless a design flaw? I have the same issue in a 2018. Dealership tried to pinpoint but could not. It is on accel. Deccel. but also over hard bumps.

When i bring in for the 10k I will ask them to review/fix motor mount / engine pad. Did this get resolved for anyone who brought it in knowing the issue? Or is this a never ending problem?
I think the key to whether or not a problem results in a buyback is the amount of time the vehicle has spent out of service. Right now I'm at 20 days for this issue. My XC90 went in for its first issue after 2 weeks of ownership when the B pillar AC vent fell out and would not stay in. Then, a month later, the AC would not blow cold air and a temp sensor was out. They recalibrated that, but it failed again 2 weeks later and they replaced the sensor. I should also note that after the second engine pad repair, the dealership did not tighten some kind of air/vacuum line and within 2 minutes of leaving the service drive, I got a flashing CEL and pulled over and called them (the issue was fixed later that day). Do I think others have had much worse problems than me? Of course, and I would still buy another XC90 today if it came down to it.

The tech that rode along with me yesterday to hear the noise told me he has had one other XC90 with similar issues that were not resolved by the fix given in TJ33442. He claimed that replacing the pad solved the problem so I'm optimistic.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Because it was at the dealer for more than 30 days (with no idea how to fix) as well as spending a combined 2 weeks at the dealer for other issues prior. The motor mount issue wasn't diagnosed until after buyback.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The motor mount torque fix was applied to my 2018 and it did not resolve the noise. I don't think I am going to take it back just for that. I will wait for more issues or it gets substantially worse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the exact issue described here by the OP. My car is at Volvo Palo Alto (California) right now being repaired. They diagnosed it two months ago, had to order "engine bolts". They replaced the engine bolts last week - it didn't fix it. They apparently need "engine pads" and have ordered them. The order isn't expected to come in for two weeks, so they called around to another dealer and found them. They're fixing it and expect it to be done on Tuesday (Oct 9th). I will report back with results. The clicking does get worse over time. . .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Checked my gas pedal, does not appear to be my issue. Interested to see if this is addressed by the engine bolts and pad replacement barkerv is working through. It has definitely become more frequent and pronounced. And it does seem to correlate directly with acceleration and deceleration as well as over some bumps.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My car is at the dealer right now for the same problem. I took the mechanic for a test drive so he could hear it and know exactly what I am talking about. I'll post how I make out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have to go drive my car with the service manager because they claim they are not able to reproduce it even though I hear it every single time I drive. I'm also able to reproduce it by holding the brake and applying gas, or sometimes just by shifting back and forth between drive and reverse.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts