SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Solenoid or lever just started to click.
I have a 2003 Volvo V70 T5 360000 km. The other day when I started the car and touched
the brake pedal I could feel a click in the auto shift handle that was never there before.
I know what it does, it releases a lever that permits you to move the shift from park
to drive or reverse.
Before I get into it I thought I would find out if any one else has had this problem and how
they fixed.
I have a feeling that something has come lose and ready to fall off.
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Feel like this light click has always been there on my XC as long as Ive owned it. Isn't this just the interlock releasing to allow driver to put the car in gear? What makes you think sonething is "ready to fall off"?

·
Registered
357 Posts
it's just a brake release. You cant move the lever without depressing the brake pedal, all you are hearing is the release of the safety lock. Quite a few cars make this sound i've discovered.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I have never heard the click before or felt the movement in the shift handle.
That may be because of the way you typically depress brake and grab shift lever. I drove the car for a couple of years before even noticing this. I realized it's because I naturally depress the brake a half second before even touching the shifter, thus I almost never actually feel the click in the shifter with my hand.

Of course you may have an actual problem, but everything you describe in the OP sounds like normal operation to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts