SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I just messed up the clear coat on my bumper. Based on what I've seen online, it seems like these cars are prone to clear coat issues....I may have just accelerated mine. I bought my car in november of last year and finally got the time and weather to do a proper wash and wax. I use all Mequires products and started with a wash, then used a hand rubbed compound, then a polish, and finally two coats of wax. I already had some clear coat peeling on my A pillars and above the front doors but no where else. However, I just noticed today that the top of my front bumper is peeling. Did I exasperate this with the compound/polish/wax?
[/url]IMG_0334 by brandon harder, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
3,899 Posts
Defintiely not, a hand compound won't do that. Clear coat was already toast, probably befroe you bought the car.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The paint on my 2004 is still in excellent condition. Car spent its life outdoors in the Northeast.
Not sure if newer factory paints were as good.
Was it repainted or factory paint?

·
3,899 Posts
The peel alone shows it been repainted, that's definitely not haze, that's texture. OEM clear rarely fails like that, usually in one large spot.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
The peel alone shows it been repainted, that's definitely not haze, that's texture. OEM clear rarely fails like that, usually in one large spot.
Definitely looks like bumper got body shop painted at some point in its life. Factory pant is cooked on a lot better than repaint. Repaints tend to peel after a while, especially if not done right.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
That bumper cover was repainted. Not surprising... R bumpers tend to run into curbs and the like and get sandblasted by the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts